Marine Pilot Vs. Army Pilot
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marine Pilot Vs. Army Pilot

In comparison if anyone knows. Would both services give equal opportunity to become a Pilot?

I know with the Marines you NEED a Bachelors degree, and you can attempt to join Enlist-CO programs.

On the other hand with the Army, you dont need a Bachelors degree(really probably do just to compete) And you must be selected by the WO board.

So in both services, I know I would really need to prove myself.
    My question is, Which service will give me a better chance to achieve what I want?

Any opinions or facts will be greatly appreciated. (High hopes of Marine)

Marines !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My GUESS would be Army, simply because they have more slots for pretty much everything. So if you're competing for a chance and there are more slots available it makes sense that you would get to fly with the Army easier than with the Marine Corps.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I would think that a recruiter from both branches would be the one to talk to.

Not facts....just situation knowledge.

I had a friend a fellow SGT in 1983 that was discharged from the Marine Corps with a clean record and honorable discharge.

He stayed out for awhile and went to the army and was put in the WO program and flew a helicopter out of a base in Alabama.

He retired as a WO 4 a few years back after having 8 years in the Marine Corps....

His reasoning was it was easier to get in the armies program and fly the helo he wanted to fly.

I keep in contact with him and even though he retired army....to this day he considers himself a Marine.

I am bias....about the Marine Corps...however the army can probally offer you more.

Again ask the recruiters from both branches....pick and choose and see where you want to be when you make your choice and then go for it.

But....I would go Marines....it's a Marine thing....I tried but can't help myself!

Once you become a CO Marine, If u wanted, do you get automatic slot as Pilot,as long as you pass the physical?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irpwns View Post
    Once you become a CO Marine, If u wanted, do you get automatic slot as Pilot,as long as you pass the physical?
    not sure what you mean by "CO Marine" but the answer to your question is no. When you go to OCS and commission you will be on an air, ground, or law contract. Air contracts are hard enough to get as it is, if you aren't contracted for it you definitely aren't going to get it. You just can't change over.

CO as in Commissioned Officer. And once you get commissioned, you said its either air, ground or law. Whats the default area, ground? Or can you choose, but cannot switch over later?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    CO as in Commissioned Officer. And once you get commissioned, you said its either air, ground or law. Whats the default area, ground? Or can you choose, but cannot switch over later?

you go into OCS with the intent of going air, ground, or law and then once you commission you are obligated/contracted to that. If you aren't guaranteed an air seat like PLC'rs then I guess by default you would be a ground contract until you graduate and then you may get your air seat. But once your are set into what you want there really is not switching over. The only officers I have heard of switching over is air to ground because of the wait times at the different flight schools.

The Marine Corps isn't a free for all jack of all trades do what you want thing even as an officer. The Corps spends a lot of money sending you through different schools and training, you can't just decide to switch and expect it to be ok or granted.

The only thing I am interested in, is making Pilot. In your opinion, would I be better off going Marine route, or Army route? Im not looking to waste anybodys time, but I am looking to work my ass off to get what I want.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    The only thing I am interested in, is making Pilot. In your opinion, would I be better off going Marine route, or Army route? Im not looking to waste anybodys time, but I am looking to work my ass off to get what I want.
    Marine IMO....you have numerous options for things to fly....ch-53, mv-22, huey, cobra, f-18, harrier, c-130, and a few others. Not sure how far along in school you are if at all but going to OCS via PLC (platoon leaders course) you can get a guaranteed flight contract (you would still have to pass physicals and flight training obviously).

Get in school and start talking with an OSO

And my last question on this subject, The obligation of being a Marine Pilot is 6-8years after completing flight training, right?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    And my last question on this subject, The obligation of being a Marine Pilot is 6-8years after completing flight training, right?
    I have no clue about that, I think it varies based on what you are flying or how much training/school time you took.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I think it's an 8 year contract total, but I'm not really sure. Most people I know that are pilots are usually in for a full 20. And honestly? Go with the Navy. They've got more pilots then any other service.

If you don't care who you fly for, the Army is your best bet. Their program is available to qualified enlisted personnel and they have a lot of options when it comes to aircraft and unit specialties.

Look around a little bit more online. There are ways to enlist directly into their WO aviation program. In that program, if you wash out, you have an option to leave the Army altogether. There is no such option in any other aviation branch.

The only way to become a Marine aviator is through an aviation contract. VERY rarely will there be a chance for new officers to obtain aviation after TBS. In the rare times they need bodies, you'd most likely end up as an NFO (backseater) instead of a pilot.

The same is true for the Air Force and Navy. They have specific pipelines into aviation with no shortage of applicants. AND these guys are all 4-yr college grads, no exceptions.

Naval Aviators in the Marine Corps have duties beyond flying; they, like all Commissioned Officers in the United States Marine Corps, are expected to be leaders of Marines and are placed in billets where they will be responsible for Marines.

Naval Aviators (of the Marine Corps) are Marines first, and aviators second. In order to even become a Naval Aviator as a Marine, you must first apply to, gain acceptance to, and graduate Marine Corps Officer Candidate School. Following that, you would need to go through The Basic School and then IFS, API, Naval Primary/Intermediate/and Advanced Flight Training. Then, you would finally be a Naval Aviator. Notice that OCS and TBS come first. At OCS, you will be evaluated in your ability to lead. At TBS, you will spend 26 weeks learning the basics of commanding a basic rifle platoon. If you're not committed to the prospect of being a Marine, and a Marine Officer, then you shouldn't attempt to become an aviator in the Marine Corps.

If you're only interested in becoming a pilot, perhaps you should look into obtaining your private pilot's license and find commercial opportunities to fly.

Thread Information