Trying to join getting frustrated with finding answers
Create Post

Trying to join getting frustrated with finding answers

Hi all,

I want to join the marine reserve, but can't get the help I'm looking for to do it. My questions revolve around financial issues. Please post any links you believe have answers to my questions.

Here is my problem... I am looking to go to OCS, which would include a year of training (ocs + the basic school + mos) at the pay grade of a LT. This would not cover my current monthly financial obligations of a mortgage of 2k and $500 in student loans.

The issue of being called up for a tour during my reserve time is not a problem because my day job will pay the difference to meet my current salary when that occurs. They however don't cover training over 2 weeks.

If my student loans were paid off I could probably do it. However I was told they are not offering any bonuses or loan payment options right now.

Here are some facts about me:
    Female
    24 years old
    Bachelors and Masters Graduate with top honors
    Two time D1 college sports national champion
    In high school I received congressional recommendations to every military academy (I did not decide which one I wanted so they gave me one for each)
    currently employed making 3x the salary of a LT, I honestly want to serve my country

My questions are:
    Are there bonuses for joining the marine corp reserve right now? In the near future?
    Is there a way to hold my student loans without them building more interest? (I refuse to hold them off but have them build in debt)
    How about my mortgage?

You need to talk to an OSO and a financial planner and make a reasoned decision.

Rethink what you're trying to do. Serving your country is nice and all, but it doesn't pay the bills. It seems like you have a good thing going for you right now and to drop all of that to start from the bottom seems stupid to me. The Marine Corps probably isn't what you think it is, especially if you have a masters and a good job.

All good advice.....take it with a grain of salt. You do have alot of other responsibilities that most new Marines don't have.....even as an officer. You still have to be able to deploy overseas for up to years at a time....what about your mortgage and student loans then....? These things in your life aren't feasible to a new Marine's existence in our Corps. Plain and simple. Unless you have close family to take over some of those responsibilities for you or you're willing to drop a few of them, I highly doubt an OSO will say anything positive toward recruiting you.

Rent your house out before you go. Or sell it.

The Marines do not make special concessions for people's pre-existing financial issues.

Just a thought - there are a lot of different ways to serve your country, and active duty in the military is just one of them.

You won't get rich serving your country (unless you do so in politics, but that's a different story).

Giving up a six figure salary in order to serve is admirable - and a significant lifestyle change. IF this is something that you are serious about doing, here's my advice:

1. Start the lifestyle change now. Mortgage and student loans at $2500 a month - put yourself on a budget and start paying them down. That'll help get you in the habit of living on a second lieutenant's $33k a year.

2. Consider getting out of the mortgage now. You'll have to sell the house or rent it anyhow since you'll be at Quantico for the better part of a year and then eligible for assignment worldwide. Living in the BOQ is living cheap -- and your house / mortgage will pretty much be a moot point - so that's $24k a year that you won't have to spend.

3. If that's too much of a lifestyle change, then consider other government service - CIA, NSA, DHS, DoD civilian. Serving your country isn't limited to just active duty military service.

And there you have it. Providing 'links', by the way, is nothing compared to experience, and advice, which is what you are basically asking for. You sound reasonably intelligent, which means to me, you already know the answers to the questions you are asking, you just need to hear the same things from someone else who has 'been there'.

So now you have it. What you do with it will be up to you.

You will likely not be able to join because of your outstanding debt.

You should also realize that your training may be broken up in time. TBS and MOS Classes don't always go right after each other, and you may be waiting for school seats. In between training, you're likely to be put on reserve duty (this is after commissioning through OCC).

If you're serious about this, your best course of action is to get into an OSO's office right now. To increase your chances, you should plan to sell your house and get out from under your mortgage. If you don't do that, I don't think you're going to get very far.

I hear theres a 18mo wait for TBS currently

you could look into the Civil Service Relief Act but that'll only get you 90 days (3mos) of debt payment relief...

Note that if you have a mortgage under your name - or any other verifiable financial obligation in terms of housing such as a rental agreement - then you do qualify for BAH at the relevant pay grade.

I believe this link is the most current order regarding the matter but I'll try to find something more up to date.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages...MIN305-08.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Naome View Post
    Two time D1 college sports national champion
    Yeah, whats your game Naome?

Thread Information