MCRD Parris Island question
Create Post

MCRD Parris Island question

I know that at boot camp weight loss is going to happen but I am curious as to how much on average people lose. I am 6' 4" 210 with 8% body fat and I'm wondering if I will come out skinny or somewhat near the same size.
    Thank you in advance

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You'll slim the **** down. Lose a good chunk of the muscle since you won't be working it in a normal fashion, but you'll build it in some places. I came out 25 pounds lighter myself.

I spent three years at Parris Island and saw a lot of recruits go through - some lost weight, and some gained weight.

Sounds like you're already pretty athletic, so here's my guess of what you'll experience. First, I wouldn't apply "average weight loss" to your case. If you're a big weightlifter, you'll lose some of your bulk. PT at boot camp doesn't pack on muscle the same way heavy weightlifting does. I doubt that you'd lose more than 5 to 10 pounds. At 8% bodyfat, I'd guess you'd come out between 205 and 210.

If you are primarily doing body weight exercises - pull ups, push ups, dips, etc, then you'll experience very little weight change, and perhaps would put on a couple of pounds.

I am also 6'4" - I played college ball at about 240, went in the Marine Corps at about 225 and maintained a weight on active duty usually between 210 and 215, occasionally dropping down to about 205 while on deployment.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I gained about five-pounds during boot camp. But I was still skinny (then) at 5' 11" 165.

Everybody is different. You may not lose or gain an ounce.

I am 5'9", went into boot camp 190 lbs, graduated at 145 lbs.

I went to PI in the Merry Month of May weighing in at about 165, when I left Geiger in Sept. I was 190. They sure had some great chow.

Went into boot camp weighing 180 pounds at about 6'2". Came home and weighed 165. I was athletic and in my prime shape doing close to 200 crunches, 23 pullups, high 9 minute 1 1/2 before bootcamp. Not sure if it was the hot summer, lack of chow, perhaps from not going to medical when I was sick; but I came out much weaker and physically beat down. Pullups went way down and crunches became a bit harder. Run actually might have improved, but definitelt didn't decrease. I weigh about 190 now and am slowly getting back to my prior fitness thanks to having access to a gym and daily PT at MOS school. You definitely put back on the pounds through your 10-day leave, SOI and MOS school.

No one person will be effected the same though; there are so many variables in play to say for sure how you will be effected. Just go, give your best, and come back tall and proud, and a MARINE!

I gained 30 lbs went to P.I. At 130 left at 160

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Went to PI at 6'3" 200. Left at 150. There is no forumla.

All said and done, I could go up a rope without hardly touching it.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Went to PI at 6'3" 200. Left at 150. There is no forumla.

All said and done, I could go up a rope without hardly touching it.
    I'm not a doctor but I don't think that's healthy

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I gained weight in boot camp.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by martinj View Post
    I'm not a doctor but I don't think that's healthy
    It was damm healthy for me.

I went in around 150-155 came back around 145 pounds

I guess I may mirror Sparkie a bit, came in at 205, final weight 156. My final PFT run was 18.36, never to beat that one.

My little brother was a house mouse, he ended up gaining 20lbs. I average 180 during my enlistment.

IM 5'9" went to P.I. at 165 came out 135 but i lifted weights in high school so i did lose a lot of that muscle!

Thread Information