How often do Marines work with SEABEEs?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question How often do Marines work with SEABEEs?

Just curious, a close friend of mine finished "A" School, and ECS and has been to an NMCB for a couple months now. He's a navy Builder, particularly assigned as an M240 Machinegun Crewmember.

He's due to deploy to Afghanistan in a little bit, and he told me some things that shocked the heck out of me. He was saying he's going to be attached to a Marine Infantry Company, running around as a ground pounder with the Marine Grunts.

His entire unit has been spending the last few months training up, not to do a construction operation, but to work as pure Infantry unit, assigned to Marines.

How often does this kind of stuff happen? Up until a couple weeks ago, I've never heard anything like it, let alone, I can't find any information similar unless I go through WW2 battles. The area he's deploying too (don't want to put it on open boards) apparently has been a serious hotspot for Marines. I'm unsure if he's filling in the role he is to fill undermanned positions in the Marine Infantry Company he'll be attached to (along with several other SEABEEs), or if he's supposed to serve as some kind of an augmentee, or a form of Reserves for the Marine Commander to draw on when needed....

Any Marines able to shed some light?

31st CB Sign on Iwo Jima pointing back toward the beach:

FRONT LINES THAT WAY

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I don't doubt that this is happening but I want to know where to sign up so I can get deployed attached to an infantry unit

It's more common than you think sir.

LCpl...try your chain of command. As in, the 1stSgt. Use an AA form. Check online with reserve units looking for augmentees.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    I don't doubt that this is happening but I want to know where to sign up so I can get deployed attached to an infantry unit
    The best bet is a consruction unit.

Thread Information