Crypto Linguists (other than the 71s)
Create Post

Crypto Linguists (other than the 71s)

I'm a radio tech and I'm trying to Lat Move to the 2600 field.

The idea of being a linguist is what drove me to look into the military when I was in high school. I couldn't get a top secret at the time of enlistment because of my citizenship not having been declared and my immediate family not being American Citizens (I suspected that this was my recruiter talking **** but I then was told the same thing with a different branch). Well I ended up coming in on an electronics option, got radio tech thus secret clearence and now my CRS tells me that I should be able to get the TS and that's the least of my worries. So I went ahead and took the DLAB this morning and got a 131 so I'm clear there. I was just wondering if there were any Crypto Linguists in here that are not 2671's that can maybe explain their duties to me. How often do you actually translate, interpret your language. Do you get stationed in the country of your language. Basically I want to know those types of details. Daily life, how often you deploy, etc.

Thanks ahead of time!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadeau View Post
    I'm a radio tech and I'm trying to Lat Move to the 2600 field.

The idea of being a linguist is what drove me to look into the military when I was in high school. I couldn't get a top secret at the time of enlistment because of my citizenship not having been declared and my immediate family not being American Citizens (I suspected that this was my recruiter talking **** but I then was told the same thing with a different branch). Well I ended up coming in on an electronics option, got radio tech thus secret clearence and now my CRS tells me that I should be able to get the TS and that's the least of my worries. So I went ahead and took the DLAB this morning and got a 131 so I'm clear there. I was just wondering if there were any Crypto Linguists in here that are not 2671's that can maybe explain their duties to me. How often do you actually translate, interpret your language. Do you get stationed in the country of your language. Basically I want to know those types of details. Daily life, how often you deploy, etc.

Thanks ahead of time!
    Are you an American citizen now?

Yes, I always was.. I just claimed dual citizenship at the time. I had to "declare my citizenship" in order to complete the process for my secret clearance in January.

Unfortunately I cannot offer you much Corporal I know there are a couple other linguists on here that have been in the fleet for some time. I am still in school, but the ones I have seen PSC do not get stationed in the country of their language. I see the officers getting stationed overseas much more than enlisted.

We stick with the Radio and Intel Bns here in the states. It really depends on the spacing, I believe the moniter that visted last said about 1% will go to Maryland after graduating from Texas.

I've also seen a bunch of lat movers here as well and a few who were not American born and had their citizenship changed. Ukraine, Russian, etc.

As for job, a few of my friends that have deployed even with their language end up studying a second or sometimes a third on their deployment. You may end up with Persian Farsi and deploy in a country like Korea.

I wish I had more info for you, that's all I have for now I'm afraid.

Whats in Texas?

So if I get russian, they'll just send me back to Afghan and I'll learn some Arabic dialect?

As a 267X your main duty is not that of translation or interpretation, those are secondary MOS's which 267X's can not hold. Does it happen where we have to perform such duties, yes, but it is not our job.

Station Overseas: If you are a linguist of a middle eastern language you will probably go there at some point. For Korean, you can go to Korea, I'm in Korea right now. Russian or Chinese, you are not going there as a station. European languages, you can go there, and the Russian lings too, but very difficult to get that assignment.

Daily Life: Depends on unit. Could be anything from great to horrible.

Deployment: Depends on unit. At a Radio Bn, you will most likely deploy, unless you are worthless at life. At support Bn and the letter Cos, it is difficult to deploy because you will have to be augmented to a Radio Bn.

Texas: This is where you actually learn to do your formal job. DLI and language is not everything, it is a small part of what we do.

Radio and Intel Bns: As a 267X you may support a Intel Bn, but you will never be stationed at/with an Intel Bn. As a 2621, maybe, but not as a linguist. Linguists go to either Radio Bns or to a letter Co.

If there is something I didn't answer or if you (or anyone) has any further questions, then please ask and I will answer to the best of my ability.

So what exactly do you do? For example, I work on radios daily... I definiteley had the wrong idea about the MOS. What do you learn in Texas and how long is that school...?

This should give you a better idea of what is expected of a linguist, while you may not do all of these given your duty station or billet, these are the basics. As per the Signals Intelligence T&R manual Chapter 6 (MCO 3500.41, 20 AUG 04):

Core Capabilities List
    1. Maintain proficiency in a foreign language.
    2. provide summaries (gist’s) of intercepted foreign voice
    communications.
    3. Translate foreign voice communications and text.
    4 Transcribe foreign voice communications and text.
    5. Operate tactical electronic surveillance equipment.
    6 Operate tactical direction finding equipment.
    7. Operate tactical electronic attack equipment.
    8 Identify essential elements of information within foreign voice
    communications and text.
    9. Identify information meeting CRITIC criteria.
    10. Operate radio sets with communications security (COMSEC)
    equipment.
    11. Maintain records concerning operational and technical
    characteristics of targeted communications.
    12. Develop and maintain working aids.

Career Progression
    The SIGINT language MOSs follow a structured career progression plan,
    consisting of three individual (l00-300 level) and one (400 level)
    Section training levels. These training levels combined with formal
    schools are designed to produce and mentor a successful cryptologic
    linguist. The 100 level of training will provide the Marine with those
    core skills necessary to function as a basic cryptologic linguist. This
    training is conducted at the Defense Language Institute (DLI), Monterey,
    CA, with follow-on training conducted at the appropriate Cryptologic
    Linguist course, Goodfellow AFB, TX. Selected Marines assigned to FMF
    billets will attend additional follow on training at the Team Portable
    Collection System (TPCS) course at Ft. Huachuca, AZ. The 200 level of
    training is designed to reinforce core language skills through MOJT and
    annual structured language training. This structured training will
    emphasize target language military communications. Additionally, the 200
    level of training will provide tactical collection and communication
    skills. Prior to entering 300 level training, the Marine will attend
    the Intermediate Language course at DLI, an NCS equivalent, or approved
    immersion studies program. The 300 level training continues to reinforce
    core language skills through MOJT and selected schools and courses. In
    addition, the Marine will attend formal schools in order to broaden the
    SIGINT base of knowledge and prepare the cryptologic linguist for a
    supervisory role.

My Billet Description
    -Serve as a Combined Mission Center Ground Forces Mission Reporter.
    -Provide time-sensitive threat warning and reporting on issues pertinent to theater and national-level commanders.
    -Review mission data and coordinate response with allied and joint-service counterparts in order to provide real-time finished reports to theater
    commanders.
    -Submit time-sensitive reports and daily threat activity summaries for inclusion in the Combined Forces Command, US Forces Korea, and
    Joint Cheif of Staff daily estimates.
    -Liaise with allied partners to ensure uniformity of reporting.

The training at Goodfellow AFB, Texas used to be five and a half months with the Air Force, but that was changed to an all Marine class which is shorter in length. Not sure of the exact length, but if I remember correctly they cut the time in about half. This can also be dependent on your language.

Hope this helps you out, let me know if you have any further questions and I'll try my best to answer them or find an answer.

Thread Information