Wanting to join for the right reasons
Create Post

Wanting to join for the right reasons

Hi, I realize there are 200+ pages on joining questions, so I will try to make this as quick and efficient a post as possible.

I am a 23 (24 year old by the time I would enlist) male wanting to join the Marines, and I have talked to a recruiter. I asked for some literature and have been browsing over that, as well as studying what boot camp entails, and physically what it would take to be a marine.

Now, to be honest, I didn't grow up wanting to be a marine. In fact, I was discouraged by my parents and most friends from even considering it. I have now changed my opinion, and find any military service one of the most respectable jobs out there, I admire it. So I looked into the different branches a few months ago, and I was much more interested in becoming a marine then any other branch. I like the fact that it is more challenging, and I feel would teach better self discipline than the others.

I didn't go to college, and have been working what some would consider a "dead-end" job for about 3 years, with no help from my choice to drink, smoke, and use pot every day during this time. I just want to be as honest as I can here, and I wasn't casually using my vices either.

I am trying to get my life back on track, now sober from drinking and pot using for a few months, but still smoke cigarettes daily. I am working on quitting them too. Regardless of my past usage, surprisingly, I'm not in as awful shape as you would think. I'm 5'7", 145 lbs, and recently started working out with another guy who has wanted to be a marine his entire life. I can run a few miles without as much trouble as you would expect from a previously heavy substance user like myself, but am lacking severely in my upper body strength (soccer player, haha), so that's mainly what I am working on now.

I am wanting to be a Marine for several reasons. I want the self-discipline, the benefits, pay, and career opportunities are very appealing to me, I want to prove to myself that I can work hard enough to become one of the few and the proud, and ultimately, to protect my country. I was wanting to enlist by early January of next year, as I feel it is going to take at least that long to even be considered for the Marines physically, and mentally. Also I can study what I would be required to know for boot camp, so I will have a better chance at understanding what my DI orders the first time.

My questions are:

1.) Would the Marines even want anything to do with someone who has a history/motive as I do? I want to have the right attitude about this, and I know there are people who have dreamed about becoming a Marine their entire life, and the fact that I first considered this only a few months ago makes me wonder if I would be wasting anyone's time. I know I would give it my best effort, push myself to the max, and I wouldn't give up, but maybe that's not all the Marines are looking for.

2.) I am on the verge of being "legally blind" , but can see perfectly fine with contacts/glasses (-8.75 lenses in each eye). Is having THAT bad of vision usually disqualifying? I don't have anything else wrong with them, only impaired eyesight.

I'll leave it at that for now

Sorry for making this longer than expected, but that about sums up my reasons for wanting to join, and my questions I wanted to ask.

I sincerely thank you for your time

~Brad

Well, Brad, you're going to have to talk with a recruiter which means being honest about the pot thing. However -- and I realize I will get crucified for this -- I would not mention the long-term use. Just say you've tried it. You will need to get a waiver for this regardless. And I assume you have no felony convictions.

Regarding the eyesight, I can barely see my hand in front of my face and it did not stop me. As long as it is correctable, you should be fine.

Keep working out and go see that recruiter. They're the only ones who'll be able to answer all your questions.

thanks tdrt, you're right

I probably should have just waited to ask my recruiter, instead of using the time of the users here. My work schedule just conflicts with the recruiting center and I was anxious for answers. Regarding my substance abuse, I will take your advice into consideration while being as honest as I can with my recruiter. I can understand, but hope, my decisions from the past 2-3 years or so won't prevent me from joining.

I'll just leave it at my original post for now, and hope to be posting in the "Open Squad Bay" with the rest of you someday! Either way, thanks for all your services, and I truly admire anyone who has made the decision to serve for their country.

Thanks again

You are no where near being "legally blind", but I believe a Rx of -8.75 is not acceptable at this time.You can search the forum for specifics,it has been discussed.

I'm not 100 percent sure...I thought you just had to be 'correctable' to 20/20. Better talk to a recruiter!

Do you have any drug charges? If not don't say anything about your drug usage, they won't know. And you having to get a waiver would make it that much harder getting in, especially with how picky they are now.

Thread Information