To old to be a Marine?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member ao918's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

To old to be a Marine?

What is too old to enlist as a Marine? I'm 27 and have been looking for something in my life to give me the challenge of a life time. I have a degree and have spoken w/an OSO but i'm not quite sure if that is the route I need to take. If anyone has any information, thoughts, and or criticisms I would be much obliged.

Thank you for all of your service and sacrifice.

I apologize in advance if this is not the proper forum to post such a thread, apparently there seem to be some restrictions on my account and I do not have access to certain areas on the site.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ao918 View Post
    What is too old to enlist as a Marine? I'm 27 and have been looking for something in my life to give me the challenge of a life time. I have a degree and have spoken w/an OSO but i'm not quite sure if that is the route I need to take. If anyone has any information, thoughts, and or criticisms I would be much obliged.

Thank you for all of your service and sacrifice.

I apologize in advance if this is not the proper forum to post such a thread, apparently there seem to be some restrictions on my account and I do not have access to certain areas on the site.
    Tony

What did the OSO tell you? NROTC and PLC are out so your only route if you want to be commissioned without going enlisted is Quantico and OCS

http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/

And this site is very similar to Leatherneck. You'll find some good advice from recently commissioned officers and officer candidates and others such as yourself with lots of questions

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

Credits
    Savings
    The OSO did rule out NROTC and PLC. We spoke about OCS and the possibilities. I've talked to numerous non active Marines and they all have come to a consensus, that I should go "Mustang". The OSO did not think that with my being 27 and enlisting would be a good route for myself.

Thank you for the links they will be most helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Last edited by ao918; 10-31-10 at 03:27 PM. Reason: omission of thanks

I just recently graduated as an old guy myself. As long as you're in decent shape you'll be fine. The actual cut-off for enlistment is 28. We had a few guys in our platoon that were over 25. If you don't have a problem taking directions from someone younger than you theres nothing holding you back. Just keep in mind that the 23 year old Kill Hat screaming at you probably has multiple deployments and years of experience under his belt. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jburke1983 View Post
    I just recently graduated as an old guy myself. As long as you're in decent shape you'll be fine. The actual cut-off for enlistment is 28. We had a few guys in our platoon that were over 25. If you don't have a problem taking directions from someone younger than you theres nothing holding you back. Just keep in mind that the 23 year old Kill Hat screaming at you probably has multiple deployments and years of experience under his belt. Good luck.

Thanks jburke, that really gives me more confidence in my impending decision.

Whatever you choose, you better hurry the hell up, Old Man. LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    Whatever you choose, you better hurry the hell up, Old Man. LOL

I'm getting on it, thanks

When I went through

We had a 30 year old in our boot camp company, then when I went on Recruiter's Assistance... I helped put a 31 year old jamaican through. My recruiter told me the cut off was 33 but that was in late 08. Maybe it's changed because the corps is trying to shrink...

its funny they will call you old man----but they dont realize that their mother should have spit them in the sink-----i call young Marines cum stains,,,, the older you are the better you can handle life....these young Marines think its cool to spice it up and drink but a older LCPL-24 or so will be at college using his TA.. join dont worry about age

While theres nothing wrong with being an "OLDER" Marine, but be aware you will have to deal with taking orders from Marines much younger than you. As long as you can except this you should be fine.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all for your responses. I am going to make my decision in the next couple days. Again, thank you for the words of encouragement.

Marine Corps website states 29yr old as cutoff for enlisted

We had a 28 year old in our platoon in boot... he did fine, just expect to be singled out once or twice for being so old.. especially if ya look it.

Thread Information