quick question about Mos school
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

quick question about Mos school

okay sorry but i figure i should ask when you go to your Mos school they look at your asvab score to put you in the job you qualify or if you really do school in school could you get a more advanced mos?

I can tell you about 40 years ago....but I doubt it has changed too much. You MOS is divided into a basic and advanced aspect. In my case, it was determined that I should go into avaition electronics. I was sent to my A school which taught my the basics of electronics. When I completed my A school, I was sent to the fleet and assigned to a squadron. At squadron level, the XO determined what type of electronics support he needed and sent me to that shop. In my case it was line maintenance on RF4B Phantom II aircraft. In the shop, it was determined by the OIC of avionics, that he needed someone in Comm/Nav (Communications and Navigation support). This determined which B schools I would attend and the determination of my final MOS.
    I stayed in line maintenance for only 1 year and was sent to IMA which is actual repair of the broken system as opposed to just removing the system from the plane. This put me to another group of schools. All in all, in 8 years I attended close to 15 schools on various aspects of the aircraft I supported. My MOS showed my basic MOS plus 4 or 5 detailed MOS.

So in a nutshell, your ASVAB points to the jobs you are best suited to do and then HQMC takes over and puts you where they need you. Once that occurs.... since all decisions will be made by your immediate seniors, you will be in various schools on and off during your career.

If things have changed.... I will be interested to see how they have changed.
    I hope I have not muddied the water too much so you now know less than you did prior to asking your question. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by luis2787 View Post
    okay sorry but i figure i should ask when you go to your Mos school they look at your asvab score to put you in the job you qualify or if you really do school in school could you get a more advanced mos?
    Your MOS will be selected before you get to MOS school.

ohh okay because in my contract it says 06xx wont find out till i go to school i am hoping for field radio operator.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Hey jerk, hit the road, just saw you talkin it up over at Terminal Illness....get lost

why do all the crazy ones come on my thread lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Im sorry Luis but we all seem to be targets here. Im doing my best to keep these disgruntled (I cant get promoted because I know more than my command) Marines out of here. You may as well get used to them because they represent 10% of the Corps.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson View Post
    Im sorry Luis but we all seem to be targets here. Im doing my best to keep these disgruntled (I cant get promoted because I know more than my command) Marines out of here. You may as well get used to them because they represent 10% of the Corps.

Jim
    its okay i was just trying to find out some info and that guy started act all werid and msging me a bunch a times but idk how to block people

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Luis, one of the problems is the lack of respect in society in general.
    Since everyone in the Corps COMES from this society, naturally it will spill over into the Corps. The military is not immune from this, nor is any other organization.
    This is the problem. And there is really no solution to it.
    Our DIs spoke about "that 10%". In 2010 it is much more like 30%, and climbing.
    Very sad to see, but a trend that will not be reversed anytime soon. You cannot take a product of modern society who is disrespectful and instill respect. Too late. All you can do is deal with them as they pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Luis, one of the problems is the lack of respect in society in general.
    Since everyone in the Corps COMES from this society, naturally it will spill over into the Corps. The military is not immune from this, nor is any other organization.
    This is the problem. And there is really no solution to it.
    Our DIs spoke about "that 10%". In 2010 it is much more like 30%, and climbing.
    Very sad to see, but a trend that will not be reversed anytime soon. You cannot take a product of modern society who is disrespectful and instill respect. Too late. All you can do is deal with them as they pop up.
    yea i can see that i give people respect and i should get it back you know wish everyone was drama free lol.

Since I was a Field Radio Operator before it became the 0600, I have a general idea of how this will work for you. Based on your asvab/GT score, once you get to 'FROC' (Field Radio Operator Course) they'll determine if you are going to be "Radio" or "Wire". I believe there are a few more...perhaps one or two, advanced schools after that, that you can be selected for, but those will be dependant on your scores and class standing at the end of the Basic courses.

Hopefully that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Since I was a Field Radio Operator before it became the 0600, I have a general idea of how this will work for you. Based on your asvab/GT score, once you get to 'FROC' (Field Radio Operator Course) they'll determine if you are going to be "Radio" or "Wire". I believe there are a few more...perhaps one or two, advanced schools after that, that you can be selected for, but those will be dependant on your scores and class standing at the end of the Basic courses.

Hopefully that helps.
    I just talked to the wiredogs I work with, and they got their specific MOS in MCT. They shipped to boot 06xx, and sometime in MCT it was determined their final MOS.

Yes it depends on GT score, but more importantly "the needs of the Marine Corps". Not everybody goes through FROC anymore unless you get a RO MOS contract, or you get 0621 in MCT.

No kidding?

And, by the by...I was a re-tread when I was assigned (2531) back in the day. Got that in FROC on the first or second day...or at check in, I just can't remember.

(And I really, really, disliked the MOS....really...LOL). "Needs of the Marine Corps". Sucked it up and did what I had to.

well idk if is true but i heard that in war time they need alot more FRO heard that but idk if its true

How about we use some correct, non text, English? That's just painful to read outside of a phone.

And despite what you've 'heard', it's not the case.

Thread Information