Denied Disability
Create Post

Denied Disability

Calling all Marines that were at Camp Geiger Jan-Feb 1980. My husband suffered a knee injury out in the field and the medic did not document it properly and a result the VA is denying his request for a disability. Due to the knee injury, knee surgery on both knees and a possible back surgery. My husband has an honor...able discharge and the VA orthopedic doctor strongly believes that the knee injury suffered in the field is the root cause of his knees and back troubles. The doctor's reports are not enough for the military board to approve disability. The VA medical board is requiring written statements or letters from fellow marines that can attest to the fact they were out in the field with my husband and remember his injury. My husband's name is Melvin Homer Cagle. I know it has been many years and this is a long shot, but any leads would be helpful. If you were at Camp Geiger during this time or know someone who was... please contact me. Can also email at tenacandler@aol.comSee More

First thing, get yourself a disability claims lawyer.

Not so much a lawyer, as contact one of the national vets groups--Legion, VFW, DAV.

They have full time service officers based in the claims processing centers and they can help with the process. Help a lot--from filling out the basic forms to helping you find witnesses to making sure the VA employees don't throw half the file in the trash so they can deny the claim quickly and move on.

Thank You for the information. Will take your advice.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Was he in school/SOI or with one of battalions of the 8th Marine Regiment during this time frame.

In addition to the advice given.....try to place a add in the DAV or VFW magazines....to get a broader spectrum of readership and maybe someone that doesn't scan the net may pick up a magazine and his name could catch the eye....depending on his time constraints....with the VA.

Also the Leatherneck magazine in Arlington,VA offers a service of mail call to get in touch with someone who might remember the incident for statement puposes.

Good luck!

Thread Information