Enlist or officer
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Enlist or officer

Well I got a free ride to go to college but I was planning on joining the Marines after high school. So now i'm stuck on going to school and joining as an officer or not going to school enlisting then going to school after my 4 years. What do you guys think would be best?

No one can really tell you what's best. It depends on what you think is best for yourself. Officers make more money, but money isn't a factor for some people. It all depends on your personal preferences.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhayes1220 View Post
    Well I got a free ride to go to college but I was planning on joining the Marines after high school. So now i'm stuck on going to school and joining as an officer or not going to school enlisting then going to school after my 4 years. What do you guys think would be best?

Justine, you have a free ride to college, take it. If you are still interested in serving, there is always NROTC but my personal choice is PLC. Let me know your choice and I will send you links to your options. It's nice to have options, so few do

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    You're right, Dan---I kind of glossed over the free ride thing, was concentrating only on officer/enlisted part it, but yes, if you have a free ride to college? Not many have that, so take it by all means......

Absolutely Dave... my free ride was my old man.. he cut me off after my sophomore year.. apparently drinking beer and chasing "co-eds" was not in his understanding of higher education... Worked for two years in the oil industry as a roughneck. My final year was working for ARAMCO in Yemen. Tough love yes...but I think I gained his respect when it was all said and done.

This is a no brainer..... GO TO COLLEGE!!! It is paid for. Do it! The Marine Corps can wait.

She's going to have a free ride regardless of whether or not she enlists or goes straight to college, she'll get the G.I. Bill remember?

What I would do if I were you is to join the reserves. You basically get the best of both worlds; you'll be able to use that scholarship (or whatever tuition assistance you evidently were awarded), be able to serve in the Marine Corps and get a feel for what it's like and still qualify for extra financial aid in the form of the G.I. Bill, plus all of the other incentives for being in the Marine Corps.

You gain a lot of hands on knowledge as an enlisted member of the Marine Corps that is not necessarily lost when gaining a commission, but they certainly aren't involved with the nitty gritty if you will. After you've served your enlistment, you'll have a better grasp on what type of officer you would have liked to deal with and want to be, and have a better understanding of what it takes to be a successful leader instead of going in blind. Not only that, but being a prior enlisted Marine is major brownie points when it comes time for commissioning boards.

Like I said, you get the best of both worlds this way, but ultimately it's up to you.

Justine,
    If you have a free ride to university...grab it. Free rides are getting harder and harder to find these days. Become an Officer but be a good one. Many people go the Officer route but sadly, some are more concerned about themselves than their troops. Take the free ride, become an Officer, and be the best!

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

I'm going to echo a lot of this advice - go to college. Less than 30% of American adults over the age of 30 have a college degree. So, if you have the chance, take advantage of it.

Quite frankly, going to college doesn't necessarily change the equation on enlisting or not. If you go to college and graduate, you then have a choice to enter commissioning program (OCC in this case) or enlisting. Nothing says that you cannot enlist with a bachelor's degree and go to MCRD.

Whether or not to become an officer or to enlist depends a lot on who you are and what your goals are. Being leader of Marines is not exclusive to being an officer. You'll learn in boot camp that one thing that makes us different is that when three Marines are together - regardless of rank - one will be in charge. The best leaders in the Corps are our Corporals, Sergeants, and SNCOs (and quite few Lance Corporals).

To be an Officer of Marines (and that is the correct term) is to take on a commitment to put yourself in a position subordinate to the needs of the Marine Corps, to the needs of the Mission, and the needs of your Marines. Maybe I should say that in order to be a good Officer of Marines, it requires those things. Your ability to be a success is based upon your personality and your commitment - and keep in mind that there are three different kinds of officers in the Marine Corps - commissioned, non-commissioned, and warrant.

Not to get too far off track - you can PM me if you're interested in more of my views on what it takes to be a good officer.

Couldn't agree anymore with 03Mike. As a matter of fact, you even have the option to do both. Enlist into the reserves and take your summer break in college to go to MCRD and then come back to school, finish up and put in a request for OCC after your graduate or PLC. Although, this path is much more difficult in becoming an officer, you will get your taste at enlistment. After 2 or so years in reserves, you can go active. And if you start early enough you might be able to get that O1E pay, which is very nice.

Don't be an idiot -- take the free ride. The best investment you can make in yourself is an education!

Many options have been outlined for you as far as enlisted vs. officer, etc. but don't regret passing up this opportunity.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    Don't be an idiot -- take the free ride. The best investment you can make in yourself is an education!

Many options have been outlined for you as far as enlisted vs. officer, etc. but don't regret passing up this opportunity.

Unless you are called to active duty beyond Boot Camp, MCT, your MOS School, and your 2 weeks a year...... You are not going to get an accurate picture of what it is to be enlisted in the fleet. Dont waste your time with the enlisted route. You have a free ride for college. Do it!!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    Unless you are called to active duty beyond Boot Camp, MCT, your MOS School, and your 2 weeks a year...... You are not going to get an accurate picture of what it is to be enlisted in the fleet. Dont waste your time with the enlisted route. You have a free ride for college. Do it!!

Agreed. But if you do become an officer don't be a pompous one. Seek out the advice of your SNCO's. They know more about being a Marine then you'll ever know. Learn from them, respect them and earn their respect and you'll be OK

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Agreed. But if you do become an officer don't be a pompous one. Seek out the advice of your SNCO's. They know more about being a Marine then you'll ever know. Learn from them, respect them and earn their respect and you'll be OK
    I cant stress this enough. You need a balance of confidence and humility to be a good officer. Show your Gunny and Staff Sergeant that you respect their opinion and want their advice. They will help shape you to be a better officer.

Thanks for everyone's advice still not sure what I'm going to do but I'm thinking a year in college enlist for the summer and go into the reserves. After I have the respect of enlisted Marines i'll seek out the officers route.

Thread Information