Lisp in the Marine Corps? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    haha you're going to catch sh!t your whole time in. Have fun.

I served with Marines that lisped. They were the butt of jokes at times. It comes with the territory. I wouldn't fear the drill instructors making light of your lisp. That would equate to making fun of a person who has a deformed hand or walks with a limp. In my experience at Parris Island (Sept 3 - Dec 1 1975) we had a recruit that had suffered partial paralysis of his facial muscles. After the initial harassment by the drill instructors he was helped by the same drill instructors to "exercise" his facial muscles to strengthen them. The exercises were smiling, frowning, clenching, yawning, etc of the facial muscles. He had noticeable improvement by graduation. On a personnel note I spoke with a lisp until 8th grade. I pronounced S almost as a T and had a couple of other pronunciation problems. My school district brought in a speech therapist to help me. There was a time when life was a lot simpler, cost was not a problem for the schools, and school districts were eager to help one on one. It was a simple exercise that cured my lisp. I recited the words "Say, See, Si, So , Sue, Sam" into a tape recorder and listened to the recording, correcting myself until I no longer mispronounced the S sound. Depending on your lisp I know there are different exercises that can help you. Even if your lisp is never corrected you have nothing to be ashamed of. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Backhaus 1103 View Post
    haha you're going to catch sh!t your whole time in. Have fun.
    Sorry I forgot to respond to your post. You sound like the punk kid that Mommy and Daddy doted on, sucked mommy's tit until 7 years old unless you were sucking your thumb. There is nothing funny about a disability. If March 22, 2013 is the most motivating day of your military career it must be the day you leave active service. As for this old Marine March 22, 2013 will be a good day too.

Thanks a bunch for the info, good to know that it won't be a problem. I took speech therapy for a few years, but didn't see much improvement at all. If the only problem is gonna be teasing/jokes, it'll be no problem at all, no sense enlisting if you don't have thick skin.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thats the kind of attitude that will carry you successfully through recruit training.

Jim

Thread Information