Lisp in the Marine Corps?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lisp in the Marine Corps?

I speak with a lateral lisp (I slur my s, to make it sound more like a sh), though 90% of the time I can clearly be understood. If I make a point of speaking clearly, everything that I say is easily understandable, but the lisp itself can still be heard.

Would this affect my ability to enlist?
    Would any specific MOS be restricted?
    Would I still be able to have an 03 MOS?
    Have you served with/heard of somebody serve with a lisp?

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AleaIactaEst View Post

Fact is, when I have a few too many martini's -- I lisp, too.

Back on point.

1. No.
    2. No.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes - and we made fun of him a lot, but in the end, he was a Marine, and if bullets were flying I'd jump into his hole to help him out.

Good luck, don't let your lisp stop you.

Can you perform under pressure, are you a good team member, do you have the mental tougness to overcome some teasing?

If you answered yes to ALL three, then you'll do alright.

Marines are a tough audience, but more so if you are sick, lame, or lazy.

Good luck

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by AleaIactaEst View Post
    I speak with a lateral lisp (I slur my s, to make it sound more like a sh), though 90% of the time I can clearly be understood. If I make a point of speaking clearly, everything that I say is easily understandable, but the lisp itself can still be heard.

I don't see where it will cause you any problems with enlisting. However, with certain advanced MOS such as being a DI it may cause you problems. I sincerely doubt if any Marine on here can recall a DI with a lisp

Have you had speech therapy? Probably the best known person with a lateral lisp is Rudy Giuliani. It didn't stop him

All you can do is try. If you don't you'll look back and say I shoulda, I coulda, I woulda. Regret last forever

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I looked at the medical disqualifications and did not see it so you should be fine.

If you become a Marine and go to boot camp at one of the depots and a drill instructor drops something in front of you....and wants you to pick it up... stay calm ,speak loud, and clear and articulate your words a best as possible.

So there is to be the confusion of when you say," The private got it,sir!"

And it will not sound like, "The private gotta shiat,sir!"

Then you should do just fine.

You lisp will/should be the least of your worries.......

When I was in boot camp, there were 2 recruits in my platoon with a lisp. One couldn't pronounce his "R"s, and the drill instructors really gave him a hard time for it. The other was like you where his "S"s were pronounced "sh", but he had a problem with his lip and the drill instructors never gave him crap. They are now both Marines, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Lisp?! ppssshhhh how bout the recruits who can hardly hable Ingles and them what excel in Ebonics as a primary language.

doan worryboutit kid

^^^Haha good point.

One of my drill instructors stuttered...

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Fact is, when I have a few too many martini's -- I lisp, too.

Back on point.

1. No.
    2. No.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes - and we made fun of him a lot, but in the end, he was a Marine, and if bullets were flying I'd jump into his hole to help him out.

Good luck, don't let your lisp stop you.

Can you perform under pressure, are you a good team member, do you have the mental tougness to overcome some teasing?

If you answered yes to ALL three, then you'll do alright.

Marines are a tough audience, but more so if you are sick, lame, or lazy.

Good luck
    Once you are in, pick your friends carefully. They will shield you, but you still need a tough skin and be able to ignore anything thrown your way. If you can't, you might hurt somebody.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Don't they have a Lisp Procedure that snips a bit off the tip of the tongue?

*btw This is the 100,000 topic discussion on Leatherneck!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Don't they have a Lisp Procedure that snips a bit off the tip of the tongue?

*btw This is the 100,000 topic discussion on Leatherneck!
    Whoa, we're "sthetting" records with this one, eh?

One of our DI's had a lisp with the spit flying,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Bootcamp will suck because the DI's will single your ass out. Be thankful for it cause Marines will give you a hard time about it but in the end as long as your not a ****-bag they'll treat you as an equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Whoa, we're "sthetting" records with this one, eh?

Hahaha - great one!

One of the Sergeants in my company has a stutter. He gets along just fine...albeit with slightly more drawn out radio chatter. (The best was when the platoon sergeant changed his callsign to giggity! LOLOL)

If he can make it, so can you.

I slightly slur my S sounds and I did get singled out by the DI's in bootcamp but honestly if you cant handle being singled out by the DI the army will take anyone and has stress cards. Back on subject, In the fleet i get asked on occasion about it but as long as you speak with confidence and your not a dirtbag marine youll get respect. Just expect a few people immitating the way you talk from time to time.

Thread Information