I'd like some perspective, Preferably from Officers, and Staff NCO's. - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

Adedapo1418

I'd like some perspective, Preferably from Officers, and Staff NCO's.

Rate this Entry
I am currently a Lance Corporal serving in the field side of the 5811 MOS. I scored a 74 AFQT on my ASVAB, and I have a 286 PFT. I have a B.A. in Criminal Justice, and expect to obtain my M.S. in General Psychology this August. I am a 23 year old Puerto Rican and black, man who is married with two children. I have completed the application for the Enlisted to Commissioning Program, but have not yet submitted it through my chain of command, so that I can have my local board. I require three waivers one for Marijuana, and the other for a drug/alcohol pop at MEPS in 2005, the last waiver is because of my # of dependents. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y. and was arrested twice for marijuana, however I was never charged, that was the marijuana waiver. I have no explanation for the drug/alcohol pop at MEPS other then I made a mistake.

Given all the information how do you think I fair?

Updated 02-22-09 at 05:59 PM by Adedapo1418 (Change Title)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sounds like you meet the qualifications. History is History. I say don't let history hold you back.
    If you are a top performer who has aspirations to move up to the next level go for it.
    Second chances work I am testament to that. If we are out of the business of allowing each Marine to excel and perform at their absolute best because of a minor mistake then the Corps will cease to exist.
    I served with many Marines who were given the proverbial second chance and made good and became great leaders.
    It's all about your personal Honor and Integrity. If you perform with a personal standard of unwaivering integrity and honor you can EARN those Bars. If you heart is in it you will earn the respect of the Marines and Sailors you serve with.
    Thanks for the response Master Sergeant, I just hope everything goes good. My mind body and spirit is in it, and in my opinion my chances are pretty good, but there's always that chance. I just wanted to hear what someone else thought about my situation. I am more then 120% sure that I can make it, however I'm only 80% sure that I will be given the chance, and we all know in the Corps at times 100% is not enough.
    Show your command you have what it takes.
    It may take time but patience is a good teacher.
    Be a Good Follower and you will grow to be a good leader.
    Set yourself up for success by learning to lead with Dignity, Honor, Courage, Commitment, and Integrity.

Find Mentors who are living their leadership night and day.

I know it sounds a little philosophical but 4 combat tours and serving with many Great Leaders and a couple of bad leaders over 22 years has made some things personal for me.

Semper Fi
    and Good Luck
    I have served in both the Field Side and base side of the same MOS. They will look at what you have done while in the Marine Corps. You already were waivered when you step on those yellow Foot Prints at PI and Then transformed into the Marine You are today. So for them to look into prior to joining is wrong for them to do. I would say that It should mainly be on your performance and the tried and true Honor, Courage and Commitment you have shown through out your career so far.
    I'm sure I'll be fine Staff Sergeant, I was just a lil nerve racked because of my previous disappointment. Thanks for your response.