Wondering if i should reenlist back into the grunts - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

usmcmyers08

Wondering if i should reenlist back into the grunts

Rate this Entry
Ok readers and bloggers Ive been in the corps for about 2 yrs 6 mths and im a grunt i have a wife and a kid and one more on the way in august my term is up in 2012 and i was wondering any one had any advice on if i should reenlist back into the grunts or pick a new job please any answers will be appreciated
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I am putting in my package in July for reenlistment since my EAS is in October. It all depends if you like your job or not. You are honestly going to go back and forth a hundred times before you decide. I know I did. On a side note are you still a Private or is your profile not up to date.
    Fellow marines, I need your advice, suggestions and comments. I was honorably discharged back in 2004 as a corporal with 0121/admin clerk mos. For a long time now, I've been missing the corps and thinking about going back. I am now 30 years old, married with 2 kids and working multiple jobs as a nurse/management. I make close to $100,000 a year, own a nice residential house and nice cars. But I think i'm willing to trade all this to be back as a active marine once again. There are many reasons. I think I prefer working with marines than civilians, less money but simpler life, early retirement, and of course, knowing that I'll live my life and career as a marine. If I go back, I only want 1 mos, which is infantry. To be honest, I hated my job before as a 0121. There is one big barrier to making my decision. My wife. She is totally against me going back to active and thinks we will just end up breaking apart. So what do you guys think? I pretty much said so much about my situation. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
    They are not taking prior service back on active duty and from what I hear its a long process to get in the reserves.
    Its what is in your heart devil! You have to make the decision with your wife what is best for your familly and you. What is going to make all of you happy.
    Marine3451,
    I'm currently USN medical, FMF, but former Marine 0311 1982-86. Just a bit before your time. I joined this forum because a friend of mine asked for my help. His son spent four years in the Marines and honorably discharged about a year and a half ago. Late career choice for him since he's now 32. He left the Marines to try and save his marriage. I bet that's a story the a lot of guys have. Anyway, back to the point, he wants back in and they won't take him.
    You posted; "They are not taking prior service back on active duty and from what I hear its a long process to get in the reserves." What's the scoop on that? I thought onced discharged you were IRR for four years after. Why can't he get back in? Thanks, v/r frank
    What are they telling him why they cant take him? I was discharged in april of 2010. I missed the corps and went to a reserve recruiter. Within two months of talking to him I was checking in to a reserve unit. It might be different now with the corps being "overstaffed" as they are calling it. If he wants to get back in tell him to keep trying. If one recruiter is not helping then find another. Remember.....Marines never quit. Semper Fi and good luck.
    Following your passion is important but remember your family is apart of who you are. The Corps has always required sacrafice and commitment yet your family must share that same value in order for you to be successful. Semper Fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine3451
    I am putting in my package in July for reenlistment since my EAS is in October. It all depends if you like your job or not. You are honestly going to go back and forth a hundred times before you decide. I know I did. On a side note are you still a Private or is your profile not up to date.
    definitely would recommend switching it up...also, look for an MOS that has low cutting scores and it is something you like. Not saying you cant beat out the high cutting scores, but if u wanna stay in with the downsize going on, then make a more practical decision. I got less time in service than you but i pay attention to the bigger picture. i am also married and i am away enough from mama, i wouldn't want to be a grunt and be heading out all the time. plus you get so say you was a grunt in the marine corps. but get used to being called a POG and all that ****. IF it was me, I would LAT move to a new MOS!!! u already know you will still eventually deploy, its inevitable..

good luck

LCpl Williams
    3521 wrenchin' all day