The Marine Corps Is Getting Soft???!!! - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

marine0901

The Marine Corps Is Getting Soft???!!!

Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average.
I am here to see what other marines think. Especially the opinion of Marines who have been in a long time and have specifically seen the changes in our Corps over time. I went to boot camp in 2007 and it was easy. I mean when i come home and say that i thought the hardest part of bootcamp was homesickness, i think thats a problem. My cousin who enlisted in 2000 says boot camp sucked was extremely hard and he got ****ed up pretty much. So you can see the difference. In my bootcamp we were the last company to say kill. As some officer decided Kill was politically incorrect and decided it should no longer be said. Then they introduced a no-cursing policy. Also they changed the training back to third phase. So during the crucible marine corps recruits will no longer use molle packs(main packs) they will use day packs(assault packs) because the higher ups feel they dont have enough time to train in the humps for them to handle a full main pack up the reaper. Who gives a crap. Those recruits should just have to deal with the pain and rigours of it. I did. I didnt have enough time to train either. Out of nowhere we would we humping 5 miles with 70 pds of gear. I dealt with it. Besides all this bootcamp is just plain ole getting soft. Every time a new marine checks in with me. THey are showing less and less respect. No regard for authority. Acting relaxed in front of higher ups/officers/SNCO's. They are losign the pride that comes with the rigours of bootcamp and turning out half ass in my opinion. When you are utterly destroyed and make it through you pride yourself 1o times more than accomplishing a cake-walk.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My brother entered the Corps in 1978 and went to Parris Island for recruit training. His advice was to request San Diego recruit training, I did. The recruiter wanted to know how I knew about san Diego. I did my research and my brother's advice. In 1979 the Corps was very limited on funds but not limited to hard training. It was 12 week training then, I was there for almost 14 weeks in waiting for more recruits to arrive from the rest of the country to complete a series, platoon 3002. The day out drill instructer pick us up, all H@#$@!ll broke loose. A lot of the recruits were crying on the deck and asking for their mothers. They got over it as soon as the Senior Drill Instructer threw them across the squad bay. They hit us, screamed, and had us make rain from the sand pit. they had us do Foot locker drills. Several recruits were so scared the would pee next to their rack during the night. They did not need permission to make a HEAD Call during the night. To make a story short, All of us made it. But I will always remember it and I would not like to return to recruit training. Some would say it was the OLD CORPS,but it was worth it. Am proud to be a US Marine.

Semper Fi, Marines past and present
    Semper Fi Marine...It was no pic-nic,,,but I actually had fun, not to sure I would do it again!!! and yeh, I remember, the peeing thing, guys crying, We also had a few recruits try to jump the fence onto Lindberg field. One recruit actually jumped the back wall to the Naval Training Center....we actually had a few mothers show up to check on their sons,,,and the thing that blew me away was the Command Staff actually let them do it, as far as I remember, they could not speak to the recruits, but they were able to see them....so I guess in the early 80's we had are lil quirks that probably would not have happened a few years earlier!!
    I went thru boot camp May-Aug.1965,it was really tough going,lots of PT and some ass kickin.It was one of the most difficult things that I did in my life but it was worth it.I guess nothing stays the same.I just hope the Corps.does not change or soften the training.I think all of this political correctness is going to screw everything up.
    I went in 1976. I heard all of the stories about the ass-whoopings DI's would give recruits....I mean beating the crap out of them. When I went in, it was no longer allowed, but verbal abuse was ok. I think training then was about 13 weeks....something we always boasted about since the Army was only 8 weeks. Though the physical abuse was supposed to have stopped, every other form of abuse was ok. From time to time there were recruits who committed suicide or threatened suicide just so they could get out. I'd like to say I am 'old corps' but I know that those who came before me had it much harder. I am saddened to hear that political correctness is continuing to decay one of Americas proudest traditions. Boot Camp should not be a Boy Scout camp.
    Updated 03-04-10 at 08:33 PM by ameriken
    unfortunately, it's true. I started seeing this problem in 2004 when we were getting new Marines(Boots) to the fleet. Hard core NCO's started fading away. It all starts with those making the rules upthere... politics... different generations. I went through bootcamp in 2000, and we got our rears kicked, but this was well worth it."no pain no gain", sound familiar?. Anyone in 3/1 Kilo Camp horno(2000-2004) can testify to this. All the new boots would tell us ," oh no, we don't do that anymore because someone complained"...WHAT?? I DONT THINK SO!!!This is not the Air Force, WE ARE MARINES, THE FEW THE PROUD BECAUSE OF HOW WE TRAIN, THATS THE DIFFERENCE!! 0311 3/1 KILO CAMP HORNO OEF/OIF
    unfortunately, it's true. I started seeing this problem in 2004 when we were getting new Marines(Boots) to the fleet. Hard core NCO's started fading away. It all starts with those making the rules upthere... politics... different generations. I went through bootcamp in 2000, and we got our rears kicked, but this was well worth it."no pain no gain", sound familiar?. Anyone in 3/1 Kilo Camp horno(2000-2004) can testify to this. All the new boots would tell us ," oh no, we don't do that anymore because someone complained"...WHAT?? I DONT THINK SO!!!This is not the Air Force, WE ARE MARINES, THE FEW THE PROUD BECAUSE OF HOW WE TRAIN, THATS THE DIFFERENCE!! 0311 3/1 KILO CAMP HORNO OEF/OIF
    I just wanted to say it seems like a sad thing... what's happening to the US Marine Corps. I went through Boot Camp (San Diego) in 1967. And yes, it was a little rough, mabey more then I believe was reasonable. But, I just know that as recruits, dispite it all, we became very bonded/ or connected in such a way that proved to make us as "one" and very disaplined. Vietnam, and, I think any war requires that... especially for a force like the Marines. Some of us (such as my self), probably can't boast that it was easy or even close to easy. Mabey I wasn't actually really ready when I did go in. When I went in, I went as a repenting and rebirthing Catholic Christian. But that might be a long story and I'll spare you that for now. It did kind've scamble my brains a bit though. But I am proud of having served in the Marines and very proud of the guys I fought with in Vietnam. Maybe some guys who might have known me, may have thought something was wrong with my head at some point... or mabey I fooled them. I don't know. But it was a lot of trouble taking on both worlds in my head all at one time. All I can say is my two and a half years in the Marines was more to me like "God's Boot Camp" and it helped me grow morally and spiritually. I think I came away as a greater Christian and also with the pride of having fought for my country. I wasn't quite right when I got out but after the years past gradually everything leveled out and I found peace with it all.
    Unfortunately it gets softer and softer every year. I was in for 4 years and my last year I noticed the lack of respect the boots had when the arrived for duty... I was written up once for being verbally abusive to a PFC that wouldn't wake up in the mornings. (I might of tipped the mattress up he was on the top rack)
    YAT YAS Semper Fi!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Before you even mentioned "Reaper" I knew this was coming from a West Coaster. I went to Parris Island from Nov.2000-Feb.2001 3rd. Bn. Lima Co. Plt. 3009. Everybody that went to Parris Island knows thats where real Marines are made. No disrespect to Sand Diego Marines or those that joined us from Quantico. I've met good men from either outfit. Also anyone from 3rd. Bn knows the pride we keep. Upon medical retirement from the Marine Corps in 2007 me and my girlfriend at the time (now wife) took a cross country trip that detoured us for a short time in San Diego. I cant express how disapointed I was with what I saw at MCRD San Diego. Recruits looking around, not sounding off, general indiscipline. I know "indisclipine" isn't a word but thats the best one to explain what I saw. I thought maybe they were getting a little slack for being in a later phase of training then I noticed the recruits in the go-fasters acting about the same. This just would'nt have happened in the Marine Corps I thought I knew. My old lady was dissapointed in what she saw. I was disappointed for her! I vowed then and there to take her to Parris Island some day. The freekin' weather is too nice there in San Diego. I honestly wanted to write the COC and let him know my dissapointment. They should shut the place down and move the whole deal to Alaska then you would have some mean som*****es. Plus half the Marine Corps would already be adept to cold weather opts. No disrespect hollywooder's (Dad) I know it was "old school rockn'roll" when you were there. I just don't see anybody getting palm heal striked in the mouth for accidently stepping on your heavy's Corps/core frams the first day you meet him (like I did) on the beautiful, sunny west coast. Again I've met outstanding Marines from either coast. I just hope my boys in P.I. are keeping up with tradition so my wife is not disappointed when we visit.
    Updated 02-24-09 at 10:36 PM by Outlaw 04 (impropper grammar)
    So you think there is a difference between San Diego and Parris Island. I would bet you never got past the big grinder to see where the actual training takes place. There is no difference in the training between the two except for your sand fleas. Both training areas turn out Marines. As for you "real Marine" I went thru San Diego in 1958 and I doubt if you could have even made it out of receiving. I fought along side a lot of find Marines and never heard anyone criticize another Marine as you did in your post. Remember we are all Marines,a band of brotherhood, Semper Fi or as you would say Ooohhh Rahaa
    Here we are answering the same old ancient question of why is the Corps going soft and how come the Marines from the other Depot got it so good.
    Look at the profile I think I can give you some perspective.

If you wear an Eagle Globe and Anchor you have earned the title.

If your heart is in it you will do what is right.

When the lead is flying you will look out for your buddy before you think about yourself.

If you are not giving 100% to be ready to step up and take on whatever the mission throws at you, I don't care what Depot you started on you are slacking and that's personal.

Some Marines in WWII were sent to war barely knowing how to shoot a rifle.

I have a Buddy who went to PI who hated the hills of Pendleton and I can't stand the Humidity and bugs of the East Coast.

I knew a LCpl who went to Iraq on the CO's S*** list and came back as a Mer Cpl with a Bronze Star for his valor in an ambush.

I knew an overweight dirt bag Private in Mogadishu who jumped off an Amtrak onto a grenade to save the Marines who were constantly after him to step it up. (It turned out to be a dud he was not awarded).

Ever heard about Honor Courage and Commitment?
    Marines were living those values long before it became a key phrase.

Learn from wear you have been and focus on where you are going.
    In response to cw2533,
    Old timer I did'nt mean no disrespect to anyone. Us east-coasters and west-coasters will always jab at each other, its all in fun. As far as criticizing other Marines goes I dont believe I did that. The intensity in the training I witnessed or lack-there-of was the target of my criticizm. From reading the other comments I would say most everyone seams to feel the same way. And I'm sure this applies to either coast. As for shutting the place down, that was meant to be a joke. Although starting a recruit depot in Alaska seamed interesting to me. Semper Fi "old school" you have all my respect.
    Any Delta Co Outlaws out there give me a shout!
    After reading some of the messages about boot camp going soft i am completely dissapointed, I went in 2000 and i got tossed all across the bay, hell i even had the wooden podium thrown at me from one of my Dril Instructors, but did i cry, hell no, i was there for one thing only and that was to be a Marine regardless what was said to me or if i was thrown around. My brother was Force Recon and he went in in 92, he told me just prepare my self for hell and i did but since before that i never been to hell i didn't know what to expect. I am who iam today because of the corps, im a changed man and i owe it to the corps, so all these politicians crying about Marine boot camp being to tough, i think they forget who is the best at protecting our nation, do they not see the Marines Guarding our President, so if they want to train our Marines to be soft might as well let the Air force guard the president, and i'l be damned, they will not take from me what i have earned, We are not the best for no reason, SEMPER FI til the day i die.
    Marines,
    I did Boot Camp In 1989. I served as a DI from Oct 1996 to Mar 2000 (Killer Kilo, San Diego). In 2004-and 2005 5 Hard Chargers (All were 2 tour Combat Vets) from 1st LAR (My unit at the time) went to the Drill Field to different Companies.
    That's about a 16 year timespan and the DI's in '06 assured me they were still hoding the standard held by my DI's in '89 and the DI's I served with.
    The point I was Conveying in my last post is that Boot Camp is Boot Camp.
    Don't be upset or worried about the mythological "stress cards" and the Mommies of America syndrome.
    The Corps will be around for a long long time and Marines will continue to kick down doors and mow down useless puke terrorist and demented dictators, all the while ragging each other about who's Boot Camp was harder and who's girl is sleeping with Jodi. And yes they will continue to drag those "10%" along with them, hey somebody's gotta clean the head.
    As far as hazing and needlessly physically abusing each other, really serves no purpose.
    Now I can't say I never laid a hand on a recruit or a Marine in my charge but most of the time it became counterproductive to what I was trying to accomplish.
    Discipline can be instilled and accountability can be upheld without using abusive tactics, you just gotta be smart about how you handle it. Solid leaders learn to move back and forth from authoritative to persuasive leadership as needed. Today's Corps needs Leaders of Marines who can think on their feet while executing sophisticated and ever fluid missions.

I prided myself on keeping a step ahead of the Marines I lead. It was hard work that payed great dividends. For example back when I was a Sgt I had a few in my squad that decided they didn't care how they looked for inspection. I discussed my intentions with the Platoon Commander and he gave a big grin and told me to go for it. For a week straight, Monday to Saturday, I held 0530 Alpha Inspections for the entire squad with re-inspections at 1245 and 1700. Of course I was flawlessly dressed in my Alphas as I performed the inspections. And what do you know, they decided shining boots and pressing Cammies wasn't so bad after all.
    I could have, in those days, taken them out back and smoked them everyday but that seemed like a cop out to me and wouldn't do any more than tick them off and they wouldn't get my point.
    With a little imagination the mission continued and I reinforced the need for pride in the uniform and self discipline. That was my imagination as a Sgt., as a Gunny... We had a very very clean shop.
    Bottom line is be willing to lead from the front and proficiently perform what you ask of your Marines and you can get a few scared Young Pups to perform far beyond their wildest dreams while earning their respect and loyalty.

Learn from where you've been and focus on where you're going.
    Updated 02-27-09 at 01:09 AM by metalmsgt
    Good to hear your words... Suprisingly, it helped with a very positive understanding about things that were seemingly still much a mystery, to me, for one. Thanks for your comments. Hearing from our more matured vets, senior Marines, or just plain level headed Marines can be very helpful in extinguishing some negative ideas and long remembered past experiences. Interestingly, I was probibly one (one of five) of the most pysically fit, hand to hand combat trained, knowlegeable of drilling, and in firing a rifle before entering bootcamp... But, because of my new confrontation of religious life during that time as spoken of above, the outcome became a catastraphy for me then. I've never wanted to admit it to anyone. But, I think the DI has a lot to contend with in his position. I take my hat off to you all in your wisdom
    From the Marines I have spoken too,Boot Camp seems to be just as tough minus the ass-kickin,which was better than getting PT for punishment sometimes.From the boot camp series on the cable tv,some things changed but it still looks tough.Semper Fi,[Graduates] MARINES
    i got out of boot camp in april of 2008. physicaly it was not bad, but mentaly it was hard for me. I join at the age of 30. I also have heard that boot camp went to 9wks and not all companies do the cruiable. but I can tell you this. I was hit and kicked plenty of time and we did say kill. also it is still better than being in the ARMY.
    I can tell you this, I am leaving the Island after spending a few days there. I just attended my cousins graduation and had a chance to speak directly to the drill instructors and I can tell you first hand that they really could not identify with my experiences back in 1982, I got from talking to them that their are guidelines by which they need to adhere to during training but I also got a sense that this can vary from instructor to instructor which would account for the different experiences we are hearing from various new marines, some got their teethed damn near kicked in while others experienced a rather uneventful training besides the usual pushups,side straddle hops, mountain climbers etc.. I feel that these drill instructors are doing the best job they can with what they have. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit back to Parris Island and am proud of the job the Instructors are doing. Semper FI
    I went through boot in MCRD San Diego in Aug-Nov 1961
    I was a midwest farm boy, even then i didn't find the physical stress that hard, i had more trouble with the mental stress. My DI was a (Corps Perfectionist) thank God, I can't see it getting softer, and being able to survice in combat, I wasn't in combat but being in grave registration i saw the result of it. Semper Fi
    (Fedel Certa Merces)
    Well thats a littel disheartning,Ive read several blogs regarding boot camp,I spent 13 week of pure H*** at paris island in 1974,my son is about to leave for boot camp in june.I hope that boot camp still developes young boys into men.Our country cant afford to get soft now,Those of us who indured,and erned the right to be called marines need to let our politicians know that the reason our country is one of the grates nation is because of the marines who fought for this country are not about to let it become 2nd rate because some group of mother feel that littel johny is being mistreated how the H*** do they think we can live the live that we live without the type of traning that our marine get in boot camp.If we start geting soft now what will this country become? I for one dont want to see our our sons & Daughters end up like some of the pow's being tortured at the sake of being politically correct and not instilling some from of disciplin in our young marines. We need to let our Sons and Daughters know that being a Marine is something to be erned and proud to be.SemperFi
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast