The Marine Corps Is Getting Soft???!!! - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

marine0901

The Marine Corps Is Getting Soft???!!!

Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average.
I am here to see what other marines think. Especially the opinion of Marines who have been in a long time and have specifically seen the changes in our Corps over time. I went to boot camp in 2007 and it was easy. I mean when i come home and say that i thought the hardest part of bootcamp was homesickness, i think thats a problem. My cousin who enlisted in 2000 says boot camp sucked was extremely hard and he got ****ed up pretty much. So you can see the difference. In my bootcamp we were the last company to say kill. As some officer decided Kill was politically incorrect and decided it should no longer be said. Then they introduced a no-cursing policy. Also they changed the training back to third phase. So during the crucible marine corps recruits will no longer use molle packs(main packs) they will use day packs(assault packs) because the higher ups feel they dont have enough time to train in the humps for them to handle a full main pack up the reaper. Who gives a crap. Those recruits should just have to deal with the pain and rigours of it. I did. I didnt have enough time to train either. Out of nowhere we would we humping 5 miles with 70 pds of gear. I dealt with it. Besides all this bootcamp is just plain ole getting soft. Every time a new marine checks in with me. THey are showing less and less respect. No regard for authority. Acting relaxed in front of higher ups/officers/SNCO's. They are losign the pride that comes with the rigours of bootcamp and turning out half ass in my opinion. When you are utterly destroyed and make it through you pride yourself 1o times more than accomplishing a cake-walk.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    2001 MCRD in San Diego. The hardest/best tim of my enite Marine Corps life
    I think it is ridiculous that as Marines we have to be weary of harming our careers by not hurting other Marines feelings. It is to the point that we hide behind vehicles and buildings just to make Marines do pushups, even if we, the NCO's, are doing the pushups with them. I am at about 6.5 years in the Corps now and just in the past few years I've seen the Corps take a turn for the worst. Marines come out of boot camp and MCT acting like NCO's owe them something and approach me, a SGT, as if we are drinking buddies. It is very sad that our government and Marine Corps leadership still wants to claim that we are the best fighting force that the US has to offer, but they emasculate us at every chance they can get. Now with the repeal of the "Don't ask, dont tell" policy, we can now enjoy the fear of being made an example of if we even make a single gay joke. On my last deployment I found myself on Rodriguez Range in South Korea, which is an Army installation. I found that those Army dogs were much more respectful of their NCO's and were punished openly without fear of reprimand or NJP. It is to the point that I am actually embarrassed when I hear junior Marines insult other branches of the military when I don't believe that they have earned the right. I believe I am stronger mentally and physically partly due to the "hazing" I received during my time as a junior Marine. That's what the Marine Corps is supposed to be. I hope this is all just temporary due to serving during war time, as I used to suspect, but who can really say....
    Updated 02-15-11 at 04:33 PM by VarelaMJ
    Yes I'm a female marine was a PI in 1996 and I got ****ed w/all t/time. H**L, they kept me cuz I couldn't stop smiling no matter how much they ****ed w/me.
    When I got 2 my 1st duty station I respected any1 higher rank than me.
    Feel the same way as you do VarleaMJ. Some of these kids, and I say kids because that is what they are, have no idea what it takes. They haven't seen what most have, and yet they come in and think they know everything. Now for me, I'm still able to get done what I have to get "done" when it comes to taking care of Marines. Some of these kids come in and just expect you to serve them. I am just lucky enough to have a command that knows how I work, and as long as the job gets done in the end I'm all good. It is tough though, I'll give you that. I have had to come up with some weird ways to get my point across and one that will always work, well for me, is squad combat pt. or MCMAP...think about it and you'll know what I mean. Nothing but good "training". Plus as a grunt, there is always a good place to conduct land nav out in the middle of nowhere. Just remember to always have a trusted NCO battle buddy with you and your jr Marine(s), so you don't get lost
    Understand what you are saying, it is a recurring event we all come into contact with if we stay in the military for long. Different generations always view one another in this manner. Maybe we perceive things differently. Lead by example and always be honest with your subordinates and they will be as you are now someday.
    Sorry, almost forgot to answer your first comment. Spent 4 yr. in the Marines 2 tours in Nam. and got out. Later entered the Army and spent 18 yr. as a tanker and retired after serving in Desert Storm, not as long a career as some but have seen a few generations go byl
    When my Drill Instructor found out that my father served in the Pacific during WWII, the DI's got tougher on me. They would hit me and tell me to go tell that to my father. They would laugh. Since my father raised me to be a Marine, boot camp was like home away from home. Same toughness. Same cursing. Same hard work. You get the picture. We need to be making Marines, not whining, crying, sniveling, pansy ass Democrats.
    I went to Parris Island in 1988. I thought it was tough, and I came out a better person, but it wasn't as bad or horrible as I had expected it to be. Two former Marines that went through boot camp in the 70s told me about the beatings, blanket party's, and the motivation trench. I had some tough D.I.s. There was no cursing, just alot of freaking, doggone, and mofo. I didn't witness any beatings, although I did get thrown across the squad bay for failing to secure my rifle to my rack in time, if that counts. Becoming a Marine is still the proudest moment of my life and I am proud to have served. I stayed in the Corps for eight years and saw an overall decline in discipline, morale, and respect within the shower shoes coming to the fleet from MOS school. Just like alot of other Devil Dogs here, I heard the stories about how hard it was in boot camp from years gone by. In the fleet, there used to be a way we got things done and then all of the sudden things changed. When a Marine was disrespectful or failed to obey orders, he was taken out back to the "hill" or the "bull pen". When that Marine came out, if he was still standing, he was usually better, and other Marines didn't have a problem with him. Then, the power of the pen took over, and it went from a good old fashioned **s whooping, to EPD, NJP, Office Hours...etc. I think you get the picture. When I was honorably discharged in 1996, the Corps had changed dramatically from the first day I became a Marine.
    Updated 05-03-11 at 08:50 AM by jprtech (addition)
    '
    When a Marine sees something that is out of regulation and/or not keeping with the highest standards of the Marine Corps tradition AND doesn't do anything about it? Well, the lack of discipline or anything there of being witnessed JUST BECAME YOUR STANDARD. When a brand new junior Marine checks in and is blatantly disrespectful, not standing at parade rest, and not addressing you by your rank, what does a senior Marine do?? You embarrass him/her where he/she stands!! Yes, you make them feel like they've just stepped on the yellow foot prints all over again. It is not that Marine Corps is turning soft, it is the senior leadership becoming more complacent and not holding the junior Marines accountable. However, don't be a rock. If you witness a Marine that is going through hard times, or is obviously depressed, have that moral courage and compassion and step up to give that Marine a hand. Simple as that, yes it is really that freakn simple. Anything we do, anywhere we go, it is what the individual makes of it. Don't worry TOO MUCH about what the peer next to you is not doing their job, I'm not telling you to not POLICE THEM TOO, but are you doing the best you can and giving it 110%??? Well, are you???? If you answered yes, well, fully apply that knowledge!! But if you answered no, then there is some self reflection to do. Leadership by example, not authority!! The world is constantly changing, not just the Marine Corps!! But what do Marines do best??? WE ADAPT AND OVERCOME!! No matter what ball was thrown to us, you got it??? The fact that you're sitting here whinning how the Marine Corps is getting soft in itself is complaining about it! You're sitting behind that computer crying and moaning!! You're not having that fortitude to do something about it!!! I've been known to chew Marines out, junior Marines do avoid me, at first! But as time progressed, they realize that I am looking out for them, then they look at me in a whole new light. Now GET OUT of your comfort zone and go motivate Marines!!!!!
    Updated 07-11-11 at 10:46 PM by AmityKnight
    It's heart breaking. And boot camp is only the start of the problem. The SOI instructors have had the reigns pulled so tight that they might as well ask their Marines what they would like to do for training their time there. And it only gets worse once these cats hit the fleet. It's a rolling ball of s*%t. And after three NJP's trying to put these little devils in line, I'm done, as are alot of others. So I guess we'll just have to sit back and watch it all crumble. The only hope I have is that when the middle east crap is done with, they start to downsize, and catch the right retards in their net.
    U guys got it all wrong the junior marines respect you! Believe me, but the ones that think there the **** you can blame the recruiters for!!! There are way to many *****es that make it through bootcamp and always have. Atleast with the system u have now most our weeded out when it comes time to re-enlist
    I want to Parris Island in 73, and the way we were treated is nothing like the young man and woman are treated today. See the drill instructor asked were I was from and when I said Trenton, I got punched in my face, he asked me the Question again, I said New Jersey, he want to the next person and they made the same mistake and got punched. So it has changed and some of the Marines I see now days would not had made it though in 73. I respect all those that came in behind me and some after me, you new people have no idea.
    nelsonrj Joined the Corps at 17 in June 1967. I had friends who had gone before and I knew it would be BAD.It was worse than you can imagine.If you you moved your eyeballs you got the sh..t beat out of you.I won't even go into the language.It made us harder ,we didn't give a F..k any more. The D I's made it clear we were all going to a "Real Sh..t Storm" called Vietnam.The whole purpose was to weed out the non hackers(mentally Frail).It was all part of a plan "to snap us out of our civilian Sh..t".With the P.T. (did the PRT back then in full combat gear and you better not drop out).I don't have to tell you what P.I.'s like in July & Aug.If the Black flag went up (too hot for P.T.) we P.T.ed in the Barracks.All I can say it made us all tough with a give a F..k attitude.All I can say ,is with that attitude / I'm gonna F..k you up . Marines would not have taken Tarawa, Iwo, Inchon or Hue City if it wasn't for that. There still digging Marine Air Crews out of the ground along the Ho Chi Min Trail.The punishment you experience in training makes you stronger. I can't believe there going to discipline those Tough Marines who ****ed in the faces of those towel heads. What do you think would happen to them if it was them lying there. They'd be carved up and dragged through the streets.It' WAR.That SH..t Happens ,You can't turn it on and off.
    P I 1968 one hell of a ride, i owe my life to the abuse and never say die , i never made hatch body or house mouse, the DI was wrong about my Mom never having any kids that lived and they said i was going to die in viet nam, MY CORP YOUR CORP Marine Corp ,......S/F
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonrj
    nelsonrj Joined the Corps at 17 in June 1967. I had friends who had gone before and I knew it would be BAD.It was worse than you can imagine.If you you moved your eyeballs you got the sh..t beat out of you.I won't even go into the language.It made us harder ,we didn't give a F..k any more. The D I's made it clear we were all going to a "Real Sh..t Storm" called Vietnam.The whole purpose was to weed out the non hackers(mentally Frail).It was all part of a plan "to snap us out of our civilian Sh..t".With the P.T. (did the PRT back then in full combat gear and you better not drop out).I don't have to tell you what P.I.'s like in July & Aug.If the Black flag went up (too hot for P.T.) we P.T.ed in the Barracks.All I can say it made us all tough with a give a F..k attitude.All I can say ,is with that attitude / I'm gonna F..k you up . Marines would not have taken Tarawa, Iwo, Inchon or Hue City if it wasn't for that. There still digging Marine Air Crews out of the ground along the Ho Chi Min Trail.The punishment you experience in training makes you stronger. I can't believe there going to discipline those Tough Marines who ****ed in the faces of those towel heads. What do you think would happen to them if it was them lying there. They'd be carved up and dragged through the streets.It' WAR.That SH..t Happens ,You can't turn it on and off.
    Hey fng, good to see another graduate of PI University during my time. I graduated in March 67 Platoon 336, I saw you were in 388. You got it right about our training, we were (those of us that were left) born again Hard. For where they later sent us, for me Hue City, the Arizona, Dodge City, I've often said they should have made it 10 time harder. Not that they didn't try. Join us in the War Room sometime. S/F
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmsgt
    Here we are answering the same old ancient question of why is the Corps going soft and how come the Marines from the other Depot got it so good.
    Look at the profile I think I can give you some perspective.

If you wear an Eagle Globe and Anchor you have earned the title.

If your heart is in it you will do what is right.

When the lead is flying you will look out for your buddy before you think about yourself.

If you are not giving 100% to be ready to step up and take on whatever the mission throws at you, I don't care what Depot you started on you are slacking and that's personal.

Some Marines in WWII were sent to war barely knowing how to shoot a rifle.

I have a Buddy who went to PI who hated the hills of Pendleton and I can't stand the Humidity and bugs of the East Coast.

I knew a LCpl who went to Iraq on the CO's S*** list and came back as a Mer Cpl with a Bronze Star for his valor in an ambush.

I knew an overweight dirt bag Private in Mogadishu who jumped off an Amtrak onto a grenade to save the Marines who were constantly after him to step it up. (It turned out to be a dud he was not awarded).

Ever heard about Honor Courage and Commitment?
    Marines were living those values long before it became a key phrase.

Learn from wear you have been and focus on where you are going.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmsgt
    Marines,
    I did Boot Camp In 1989. I served as a DI from Oct 1996 to Mar 2000 (Killer Kilo, San Diego). In 2004-and 2005 5 Hard Chargers (All were 2 tour Combat Vets) from 1st LAR (My unit at the time) went to the Drill Field to different Companies.
    That's about a 16 year timespan and the DI's in '06 assured me they were still hoding the standard held by my DI's in '89 and the DI's I served with.
    The point I was Conveying in my last post is that Boot Camp is Boot Camp.
    Don't be upset or worried about the mythological "stress cards" and the Mommies of America syndrome.
    The Corps will be around for a long long time and Marines will continue to kick down doors and mow down useless puke terrorist and demented dictators, all the while ragging each other about who's Boot Camp was harder and who's girl is sleeping with Jodi. And yes they will continue to drag those "10%" along with them, hey somebody's gotta clean the head.
    As far as hazing and needlessly physically abusing each other, really serves no purpose.
    Now I can't say I never laid a hand on a recruit or a Marine in my charge but most of the time it became counterproductive to what I was trying to accomplish.
    Discipline can be instilled and accountability can be upheld without using abusive tactics, you just gotta be smart about how you handle it. Solid leaders learn to move back and forth from authoritative to persuasive leadership as needed. Today's Corps needs Leaders of Marines who can think on their feet while executing sophisticated and ever fluid missions.

I prided myself on keeping a step ahead of the Marines I lead. It was hard work that payed great dividends. For example back when I was a Sgt I had a few in my squad that decided they didn't care how they looked for inspection. I discussed my intentions with the Platoon Commander and he gave a big grin and told me to go for it. For a week straight, Monday to Saturday, I held 0530 Alpha Inspections for the entire squad with re-inspections at 1245 and 1700. Of course I was flawlessly dressed in my Alphas as I performed the inspections. And what do you know, they decided shining boots and pressing Cammies wasn't so bad after all.
    I could have, in those days, taken them out back and smoked them everyday but that seemed like a cop out to me and wouldn't do any more than tick them off and they wouldn't get my point.
    With a little imagination the mission continued and I reinforced the need for pride in the uniform and self discipline. That was my imagination as a Sgt., as a Gunny... We had a very very clean shop.
    Bottom line is be willing to lead from the front and proficiently perform what you ask of your Marines and you can get a few scared Young Pups to perform far beyond their wildest dreams while earning their respect and loyalty.

Learn from where you've been and focus on where you're going.
    nelsonrj

To me after 41 years, after my release from active duty ,I feel we are the most Honorable , toughest ,complete the mission at all cost Military Force in the world . We say" Aye Aye Sir".I hear the command ,I understand the command it will be carried out.. My experiences in the Corps and in Vietnam, though not a Hero,means a great deal to me.I had friends that were closer to me than my own brother.I the whole Marine experience,including the brutal Boot Camp ,that some could not complete but did their commitment to their Country in the brig and a less than Honorable Discharge.The emphasis on everyone being a Marine first regardless of MOS,with the same "aye Aye Sir' attude. The fact that being a Marine,trained to kill if need be , no excuses.The fact that it was so tough makes the words" United States Marine" so special to those who have come before and those today fighting in the Middle East to uphold that standard.Things that are tough to attain give them their VALUE!!!
    Semper Fi
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234