unsure of moving on up - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

LegalBeagle4421

unsure of moving on up

Rate this Entry
My name is LCpl A and I love the Marine Corps. I have been on the Corps roller coaster, however, where one minute everything is peachy keen and the next everything is at it's worst, but i am very unsure of what choices to make next.

I have a "God Awful" command (who doesn't) and sure I have hit my speedbump in the past where I'd be lucky if i got an hour off from duty or some other punishment, but that was over a year ago and i've proven myself.

The Marine Corps is all I want with my life. I do plan on doing eight years before I make my decision to become a lifer or to get back to 1st CIV DIV, but as of now, this is it for me.

Currently, I am stationed on Okinawa, Japan and I am considering extending. My rotation date wouldn't be until 2011, however, my contract is completed in 2012. I do not want to leave here as anything other than an NCO. I know i will get there, buit my MOS doesn't really pick up too often.

First question, should i extend, even though i can not stand the life of the Corps out here? Should i just be patient and all the hours of hardwork will pay off, eventually? Or maybe wait and see what state side has to bring?

I know i am pretty much rambeling on, but i am so indecisive! help!?

Updated 01-10-10 at 07:20 PM by LegalBeagle4421

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hey Devil Dog. Always remember where you came from, where you are at, and that no one promised you a rose garden. By becoming a Marine you have already told yourself that what was in the past civilian life was worth leaving, and by being a Lcpl you have told yourself that you can become something more than what you were, and now you have doubts about whether more of your life would be better off if you stay with the plan. Mmmmmmm, where would OUR Corps be if we all got out. Not in the history books, that's for sure. If you take care of your Corps, your Corps will take care of you. We shall always remain, The Few, The Proud, The Marines. Semper Fidelis
    Hey LCpl A,Have my First hand of a command i didnt think was all that and a bag of chips, I to am Stationed in Oki, and been here and done my time. I had my fair share of concers on either to stay in or get out being the same of EAS of 2011. I just reminded my slef that this is my first but sure ant my last Command, and i know thati joined cause my Civ life wasnt the best, i know that half my HS buddies are swtill doing the same crap as they were in HS. Yeah the same here to but at least im doing it and it has a reason repetitive reason but still a damn good one. LEaving here in 2 months and cant wait to get to my next unit to have mroe experiance befor i decide to stay or get out. An Gunny here is right, where would our Corps be if we all got out. Some individuals wernt ment for this life and get out with out trying to make it better, remeber theres always one and that one can make the biggest diffrence, keep your head high and keep marching on Devil. God speed and Semper Fi
    If you joined the Marine Corps to see what you can get out of it- you joined the wrong service. Marines join to see what they can give to it. What is your idea of a good command- because everywhere you look someone is complaining. My suggestion would be two fold- get away from the complainers and see what you can do to make your command better- from your grade down. Stop being part of the stuff you hate and start being what you loved about the Corps- discipline, bearing and esprit de Corps. Misery loves company- don't be the company. Second, if you didn't know a MSG is looking for Sgt's and below for watchstander duty- get your command screening checklist together and go see what other Marines are doing.
    One of the biggest regrets of my life was getting out because of one bad command. And GY0491 nailed it - "Stop being part of the stuff you hate and start being what you loved about the Corps" It all comes done to attitude. Change your thinking and change your life!
    If you are not responsible for anyone else stateside, I suggest that you experience everything you can overseas and make your life a memorable event you can look back at and be proud. Whatever you do, do it as a Marine!!!!