Uniforms Aren't Just Uniforms - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

vegasmarine1

Uniforms Aren't Just Uniforms

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
I recently read an ALMAR about the prohibiting the stopping off base while wearing utilities. Now, for you old timers that isn’t new news. In fact, some remember when you were just barely legal stopping to change a tire while still in utilities. Although, you might want to keep in mind, most of those folks just barely remember what time they need to take their medications.

Wearing your Class “A” uniform has always been a sense of pride for most Marines. It seems there’s just something about being in uniform and having your Good Conduct ribbon on when you swagger towards a group of young ladies. There’s no doubt in your military mind they all thought you were the cat’s meow. Sorry! That was a different generation.

Most of us can remember when you needed to wear “Greens” you hoped it wouldn’t rain since they were 100% pure wool. At first they were 100% pure virgin wool until the Marines started wearing the material. They soon dropped the word “virgin”. Regardless, throughout history wool and rain have never gone together. It’s sort of like taking a nondrinker to a moon shiner taster’s convention. As soon as the rain started you knew people would need to stand down wind of you until it dried.

I always thought the khaki uniform was one of the more comfortable ones. It also looked the best when it was freshly starched. However, after you had worn if for a few hours it seems people would stop and ask you when you were entered in the next wrestling match. But that didn’t stop some of the Grunts I was stationed with in guard detachments. They’d put so much starch in those uniforms they had to be carried out to formation.

The Gabardine uniform was one that looked and traveled well. The shirt from that uniform still exists today. The only problem with the uniform was when the seasons changed. If you were stationed at HQMC at the start of spring and you went TAD anywhere south of there, you would be wearing Greens. Everyone else would be wearing their tan colored Gabardines. There’s nothing like uniformity to bring about togetherness.

Dress Blues have remained the standard that we all have hung together with. Put a set of “Blues” on and every bit of our history and tradition seems to be attached to every tight button up and including the collar. I’d like to have a nickel for every Marine who’s walked into a bar in “Blues” and never had to buy a drink. For if there’s a former Marine within five blocks of those “Blues” their combined Corps experience turns out to be stronger than the strongest glue. Just another reminder there’s no such thing as an EX Marine.

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

The best uniform the Corps had was the Tropical uniform with the EGA's on the collar.
    Hell yea old marine
    The uniforms were changed by the calander, not by the weather. We always went to "Greens" when it was hot and changed to "Kakias" when it was hot. Utilities were the best.
    Actually, ethe CG of that area made the determination of when to change uniforms. By 1 Jan most CG's had decided the date to go out of greens.
    At least you were recognized in your Blues! As a WM (or BAM -- no difference to me), I can't tell you how many times when walking through the airport, people would ask me about their flight information. At a Ball once, someone's date asked me what service was I in!
    This is a little of subject, but does anybody know of any MCO on fully lacing boots? I see Marines daily that don't lace them to the top, and it looks like S***.
    That's new breed. Maybe they need velcro.
    New Breeds are s*** bags. Plain and simple.
    Well I'm an old dog going back in after 15 years of being out so hopefully the new breed can learn something from me.
    hello everyone i am new to this site and did not know where to show this pic i found it on my freinds face book page and hade to share it with other marines it really burned my ***

Daniel Apodaca

Quinton King

Valarie L Crawford

Derick Duffner

Curtis Eaton

Jacob Freeman

Chicnee Brown

Mike Yonko

Anthony Coccaro

Eddie Melendez Jr

Chris McDougal

Irene Chan

Chantelle Pasqualino-Berry

Johanna Oriach

Lonza Ivey

Mohammed Sami Zaidan

Karina Marina

Johnathan Rose

Edwin Worrell

William Satterfield

Cory Duane Dugas

Armah Jones

Michael Velazquez

Riki Olivier Sr.

Monica Gonzales

Manny Ibanez

Rudy Eugene Doporto

Charles D. Putney

Anthony Simonelli

Marisol Salgado

Chris Dunn

Trevor Dempsey

Jessica Clark

Ezequiel Porrata

Anthony Sclafani

Mike Athearn

Tiffany Guillory

Craig Ricketts

Marques Jones

Jeremy Prignano

Frank N Boot

Joseph Bohannon

LikeCommentUnlikeComment
    Tag PhotoClick on the photo to start tagging. Done Tagging

Type any name to tag:
    Type any name

Brotherhood of Marine Corps Riders

Originally Posted by Raptor
    No ****, there I was...up to my eyeball's *******s in plastic BBs, with airsofters as far as the eye could see.

OK, in reality, my company, Evolved Tactical Systems, had a booth at an expo held by Evike as a part of their parking lot sale this weekend. As we're showing our wares, I spy a young man in Marine Corps Charlies shuffling by my booth. Now, I was in the Army, not the Marines, but sometimes, you just know what wrong looks like. And this kid was wrong as two boys ****ing in a church on Sunday. I give chase. Dork is wearing a shirt that fits poorly and looks like he slept in it. His trousers aren't the right color of green. Belt is non-issue and goes halfway around his waist. Shoes look like he picked them up at a Payless sale. Then the kicker: he's wearing 2LT bars, with 4 rows of ribbons...TOPPED OFF WITH A SEAL TRIDENT! I engage..in conversation.

"Hey buddy, you in the Marines?"

The turd responds, while trying to decide if he should stand at attention or parade rest, "Uh, yes sir, I am sir."

"Who are you with?"

"Uh, the 331st Marine Expeditionary Unit at Camp Pendelton, sir."

And here I thought the only 331st out there was the Logistical Studies Group out at Ft Griffith. Guess you learn something new every day, right? I go for the head shot:

"So what was your BUD/S class number? Who was your swim buddy?"

"Oh, uh, I didn't go to BUD/S, but I'm assigned to SOCOM, so we get to wear the Trident."

Being the kind, Christian man that I am, I give the sinner a chance to repent.

"Are you sure you want to stick with that story? Nothing you want to change?"

"No sir, that's the truth."

"Well, here's the problem: You look like ****. Your uniform is ****ed up like a soup sandwich. Everything below your waist isn't even issued. I think you're a ****ing poser, and I think you're trying to score some free ****. You're lucky the police are over there (San Gabriel PD was just behind us, watching) or you would probably be in the middle of an ass whipping right now."

His response was the definition of weak sauce. "Uh, I'm sorry you don't believe me sir, but that's the truth."

"Really? Prove me wrong. What's your name? I'll call down to the admin office aboard Pendelton and confirm you're assigned there."

"My name is Sam Jackson, sir." I almost asked if he spoke English, but I was on a roll.

"OK, Sam Jackson, let me see your CAC card."

"Oh, we don't have to carry those when we're off post, sir."

"Bull****. Prove me wrong about everything and show me a CAC card that says you're a second lieutenant."

At this point, the Clifford from Evike pulled me away from our poor, mistreated child. Apparently, a crowd was gathering. I guess I was a little loud. Clifford asked me to step back and let him handle things, which he did in a much more professional fashion than I was capable of. The **** bag was kicked out, and now his pictures are getting posted everywhere I can manage. Speaking of which, here are the pictures:

Full Shot (my back is to the camera)

Close up of his ribbons

Yes, this ****head is wearing a mini-SEAL Trident, along with a Silver Star as his SECOND highest award (for those not in the know, the only awards that rate higher than the Silver Star are the Distinguished Service Cross {Navy Cross for USN personnel} and the Medal of Honor). Here's his complete list of ribbons, in the ****ed up order he's wearing them:

Marine Corps Reserve Ribbon (obsolete 1967) - Silver Star - Meritorious Unit Citation (Navy/Marine) - Joint Service Achievement Medal
    National Defense Service Medal - Afghanistan Campaign Medal - Navy Rifle Marksmanship Ribbon - Combat Action Ribbon (Navy/Marine)
    Navy Pistol Marksmanship Ribbon - Iraq Campaign Medal - National Defense Service Medal #2 (for a double dose of pimpin) - Army Overseas Service Ribbon
    Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal - Global War on Terrorism Service Medal - Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal - Navy & Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon

Someone here has to know who this poser is. It is my mission in life to see him banned from every field possible, from every event possible, and from every team possible. I have no time or tolerance for posers, and especially not for ones of this magnitude. Apparently, he lives in the SGV area, and he likes to shop at Evike. Word is he plays at Tac City. Let's burn this ****er down.

He returned to said store today, and an employee confronted him. He posted this later for our entertainment.

"He came to the store today. I talked to him. Approached him as someone who was inquiring about him and his uniform. He told me he was part of the THIRTEENTH Marine Exp. Unit. He says he just recently retired and was attached to a SEAL unit during his career. I really was out of words cause it sounded like such bull****. I informed him I was joining Navy Special Warfare, and was just wondering about his service. He was really stumbling with his words and was very nervous. He was not wearing the uniform today."

Efforts are being made in the Socal Airsoft community (which contains quite a sizeable amount of ex-.mil) to make sure this ****er never shops, plays, or even breathes airsoft again.