Need help and advice from anyone willing - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

mrjusmc2171

Need help and advice from anyone willing

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Ok everyone, here is my situation. I'm a 7 year Sgt. on my second enlistment. I have 2 years left on my contract. I am enrolled in college classes and will be done in January of 2010, 6 months before my EAS. I'm at a major crossroads in my life and career. I'm torn on so many directions I could go that I'm getting overwhelmed with the choices. I'm thinking if I get accepted for MECEP, maybe going that route. There is also the Warrant Officer route that I have wanted to do for a long time. Then there is also the route of separating and getting a civilian job. I've had offers for around 70k per year with my degree at very respectable companies (salary only, no commissions). Anybody out there have any other options that I'm not pursuing or have any insight into what I should do? I'm sure alot of younger Marines go through this all the time so any help would be great for us up-and-comers.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Take the Warrant Officer route, it is the best rank in the Marine Corp. Sgt. Harold Harmon, World War 11 Veteran. Now can you help me find anyone who I served with in the Marines, Pacific Campaign, 2nd Marine Division, 6th Reg. (poggy baiter) 2nd bat. headquarters. Thanks and good luck.
    I am now 89 years old and want to find just one marine that served in my Division, before I die.
    Take the WO route. Right now, even with your degree (no matter what field) the job of looking for a job is hell on earth (I know). Getting out right now not only hurts you financially, but it puts that extra strain of looking for employment (see above). With the WO program, you have the chance for more education that the Corps will pay for AND a bigger retirement when you get out, if you want your 20. Think long and hard about how your decision will affect not only you, but your family as well, if you have one. I hope this helps.
    Im in that situation now. I am personally thinking of going the MECEP route. My package is solid, but i just couldn't get my test scores up to qualify. There are definatly more oppurtunities and benefits when you choose to go Officer vice WO. I would say that if you qualify for WO, then you would just have a little more work to do get regular Officer. Go Officer Man. Plus promotion oppurtunities as a WO are limited. Where as, with regular you can climb all the way to Gen. Kind of get what im saying here?
    Looking at your screen name I am assuming you are a 71 optics guru. Promotions for you guys are haggard at best however don't sell yourself short by "getting out for more money" MECEP is a great program and the WO route is also good giving that in the Ordnance community you can look into going 2120, 2110 and 2125 with a few other options. Also look into maybe doing a lateral move maybe into counter intel or something that will move you up the chain quicker. As an Ordnance Marine I always wanted to be a 1stSgt however, we all know that is a rare opportunity for us so myself have decided to follow the WO route and maybe someday LDO.
    Devil-dog, always have a plan, adapt, and utilize your skills. First, how long will it take to submit your request through your chain-of-command, then through division and so on? will you have to reenlist in order to seek the WO program and MECEP? How are you fit reps, good? PFT, Marksmanship, etc.. What is your degree in? Will you graduate with honors? It is difficult and needless to say that you need to answer questions that the review boards will ask. Next, speak to your career planner and get additional guidance. Good luck and Semper FI
    Brother, Make the choices that make the most sense. Do what you will not regret many years from now. To do that you need to know what is most important to you. We can all tell you what we think is the right move, but only you know where you really want to end up. Keep the faith and know your brothers have your back. I envy you and your current situation, and sometimes wish I could turn back time. I would make some different choices. Simper Fi Marine
    Marine, do what your heart tells you to do. You are a Marine, you will always be a Marine. You are at a great crossroad in your Marine Corps Career. MECEP would b e a great choice if you have that option. I have friends that went the WO route and that is a WOW everyone respects them throughout the ranks. You are nearly half way on 20 the last 10 to reach 30 you could do at parade rest. What a great retirement package you would have. I wish I was in your position. I regret not taking the WO option back in 1971.
    Updated 02-03-09 at 07:53 AM by 2304122
    This is the way I see it Sergeant. If you want more room for advancement and plan to attain your degree, prior to going the Officer route, you do not have to do MECEP. Once you have a degree you can apply for the ECP program. On the other hand if you do not have a BA or BS, then MECEP is the way to go. I do not know much about becoming a WO, except that you will stay in your MOS and that there are only five ranks which hold tremendous respect. As for getting out, yea the money from the offers you received sounds good, however the economy is horrible right now, and if there's no union you would be taking a chance that I am not willing to take! As for myself I am doing the ECP program, and know alot about it and how it works, so if you have any further questions feel free to contact me! Kevin.Wheeler@waldenu.edu
    Seeing how your profile is lacking info and I don't know anything about you, you might want to consider the officer route. Would probably be easier for you to get accepted that route rather than the WO route. Seven year Sgt..... Have you been in for 7 years or have you been a Sgt for 7 years? Not knowing your background of what you have done in the Marine Corps up to now..... How does your SRB/pro and con/ fitreps look? If you want to persue the WO route, look at them hard. On paper, are you one of the best in your MOS?