Why I joined the Marine Corps - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

Goodenough89

Why I joined the Marine Corps

Rate this Entry
Well, I figured I would just post one of these as well.

When I was 7 years old, my mother and I moved to Oceanside California to live w/ my sister and her husband. My brother-in-law was a Marine. I used to see him go to work and come home every day in his cammies. Also going to a grocery store and seeing someone in cammies looked unbelieveable to me at the time and had made me look at them in awe saying to myself one day I will do that. My senior year of high school, I was engaged to a SPC in the Army and when he deployed for 26 months I wanted to go see him. Therefore I thought about joining the ARMY. However, a Marine Corps recruiter had come to the school to administer the ASVAB test. I took the test and pretty much goofed it off and didn't care. A few months later, I had gone to the ARMY recruiting office, to my dismay he was never in his office and never called me back. The Marine Corps recruiter was across the hall and said, "Hey, you know he's never there, ever, why don't ya'll come here and I'll show you what the Corps can do for your daughter." He said what all recruiters say and I was hooked. We got my ASVAB score and I was ready to go to MEPS. Except for the fact that I only scored a 22. Not because I'm stupid, but because I didn't care at the time. The Marine Corps recruiter told me to study and we can retake it. I needed a tutor for the math portion and could not find help. Next door was the navy recruiter. He told me that he could tutor me and I would pass the ASVAB surely. So he tutored me and I retook the ASVAB. I scored a 88 and enlisted in the DEP program in the NAVY as a Electronic Engineer. However two weeks later, my MOS had closed out and I hadn't gone to bootcamp and my MOS was changed to a CB (construction worker) so I called the senator of WA state 3 times a day for 30 days cause that was the only way to get out of the DEP program. I then walked next door to Sgt Chamburs and enlised in the MARINE CORPS on April 20th, 2007 and went to boot camp shortly after.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments