Why I chose to be a Marine. - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

rlhall

Why I chose to be a Marine.

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

I'd like to post a few comments about the recruiting approach of the Corp vs the other branches of the service and why I chose to be a Marine.
If you recall the recruiting posters over the years, you'll remember that the Army pushed choice over chance in regards to a career path. The Navy offered adventure, travel, etc. The Air Force invited you to join the space age. Thier msgs/appeals have varied over time, trying to find the right mix to attract recruits. I notice that the Navy is now putting a lot of emphasis on the Seals. Like the Corps, another tough outfit.
The Marine Corps has never varied from it's msg. It has always been the challange, "Are you good enough?" Oh, the image and words on the posters has changed now and then, but the challange is always there. "Are you good enough, both mentally and physically, to be a Marine?", "Do you have what it takes to be a Marine?"
Somewhere on this website there is a "right on the money" comment by one of the guys addressing "What makes a Marine special?" I seem to have lost it, but I agree with every word of it.
When I joined I weighed 112 pounds and stood 5'5". At graduation I weighed 120 pounds and stood about 9 feet tall. I had something to prove to the world; that I was as good as anybody, size not withstanding.. I wanted to be part of the "best of the best". And by God, I did it. Looking back I realized that the thought of not graduating from boot NEVER entered my mind. And there were more than a few that couldn't take it and ended up in the Mickey Mouse Platoon before being sent back home. In PLT 382. the DI chose the biggest, toughest man to be Right Guide. Whatever we were doing, he would challange us to do as well as the the Right Guide. And then he would walk over to me and tell me if I didn't outperform the Right Guide, he was going to kick my ass! A couple of times he did. Right Shoulder, Foot Locker! Remember that one?
There are two things that I have done in this life that I would do again in a heart-beat.
The second is to marry again the woman I love. It's going on 32 years now.
The first is enlist in the United States Marine Corps. Being a Marine, above all else, is the proudest thing I have ever done. Why? Because not everyone can be a Marine, and as far as I am concered, it is the world's most exclusive organization. You younger Marines won't really come to understand that until you are bouncing your grandchildren on your knee. I have a sticker on the rear window of my Ford Windstar. "Once a Marine, always a Marine."
Feel free to jump in here to comment, critique, or whatever. I'll be glad to respond to all.
Robert Hall
Sgt
s/n 1516918

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

semper-fi. worked in the civilian world since 97 in law enforcement.have every thing i said i would before i got out.but i left somthing behind.as of now im getting ready to give it all up huge pay cut.house everything to wear that ega again.god willing ill be back.
    Robert-
    The perspective of years you have is what's needed to bring up the new generations, and I appreciate you putting out there the attitude that what we have done by joining this organization and serving, is far larger than our own small lives, but has made ourselves larger than what we entered with.

Joe.
    Joe,
    I really liked what you said, especially the part about being larger than ourselves. You said in a couple of sentences what took me a couple three paragraphs; I wish that I had said it.
    Now about a couple of odd coincedencies. I grew up in the small town of Dominguez during WW2. I lived at 2600 Washington St That was before the Carson thing happened You mentioned the college at Dominguez Hills. Is the seminary still there?
    And I also lived in Torrence. Odd the way the ball bounces sometimes.
    Robert Hall