Former Sh**Bird looking for some advice. - Blogs - Marine Corps - USMC Community
View RSS Feed

NateBaldwin

Former Sh**Bird looking for some advice.

Rate this Entry
I am a 24 year old former marine. Enlisted and grad from bootcamp 17 april 2004. After SOI went to BSG (basic security guard) school. From there stationed in St. Marrys Ga. with marine corp security force company kings bay Ga. Held a level secret security clearance. During my time at kings bay i was charged with UA. twice and once with underage drinking and every time received an NJP. While on restriction, failure to show up to a check in resulted in a third charge of UA for which i received a court martial that resulted in spending 25 days in the NAS-Jacksonville brig and a bad conduct discharge on 20 December 2005.

Since returning home i have acquired a job with the City of Huntington Beach Ca. Where i have been working for 3 years. I feel i have matured immensely and continue every day to improve my personal moral code. However the regret still weighs heavy on me. The failure to finish my commitment to the marine corp and to my country is something i hope to make amends for and move forward from.

The RE4 code i received on my DD214 prohibits my reenlistment to any branch of the armed services. I have heard that the RE code can be requested changed but am not sure how to go about requesting the change or to whom a request can be sent. I realize this proses may be more then just a struggle but i am willing to do whatever it takes to reenlist and make a carer of the marine corp once again. Any advice from anyone that may know where i can start or how possible it even is would be very much appreciated.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I would maybe start at your local recruiting office and go from there.
    I agree with nosbigb. Go speak to a recruiter and explain everything, your entire situation. A good recruiter will do his or her best to get you the most info possible. However in my personal opinion I think your done. A bad conduct discharge is for unbecoming of a Marine, I do not think they will let you back in.

Why do you wanna get back in, and why now?
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe the ONLY way you can have a discharge "upgraded" or changed to a more positive one, is if there were noted procedural errors in your discharge paperwork/process. Like they cited the wrong UCMJ article or something. Kinda like getting out of a speeding ticket because the cop writes the wrong make of vehicle on the ticket kind of a deal. At least I think so. Go for it though, what's the worst they can do, tell you no?
    You can wait 5 years, then you put in with HQMC for a change of discharge. You're gonna need a DD293.

They will then review and go through a process somewhat like a court-martial
    don't expect anything from a recruiter... they are turning away qualified applicants 'cause there's not enough openings right now... you'd be put on the back burner so long you'll be to old to reenlist.

I hope you continue down this self-improvement path, but I afraid that the Marine Corps isn't going to be an option for you anymore.

The Army is doing an increase of 30,000 over the next two years... they'd work with you to get that fixed.