Marine Corps - USMC Community - Uncategorized - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Following Orders

Several Congressmen got together one day and decided too award a large grant to one of the armed forces of the U.S. So they called the Joint Chiefs of Staff together and told them they wanted to see what branch of service could follow orders to the T, no matter what. So a test was arranged, they wanted one member of each branch chosen, the best of the best. The next day members from the Air Force, Navy, Army and Marines were all standing tall, no one knew what was about too happen but knew it was ...

Updated 10-29-10 at 02:15 PM by lloyd holland

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Grandma's Nuts

After a hard day of football practice, the grandson stops by his grandma's house to see how she's doing and make sure everything is all right. Granny was sitting in the living room watching her favorite tv show, when grandson sits down and shares some telly time with her, when he notices a can of nuts on the table and he ask granny if he could have a few, sure go right ahead boy, help yourself, After about 15 or 20 minutes of tv and munching on those nuts, they were all gone, he tells granny, am ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. My Old Squadron At Last

It took a long time, but i finally found my long lost squadron from back in the day. VMA(AW)533 attack squadron has moved from MAG-14 Cherry Point NC. to MAG-31 Beaufort SC. and adopted their new name, VMFA(AW)533. From the A6E Intruder, the old sky pig as we use to call it, to the F18 Hornet. When i stumbled across the website of my old squadron i was happier than a virgin on senior prom night. I was in VMA 533 from 1979-1983 and was proud as hell to have been a part of that squadron. Comming from ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Baptism Under Fire

To all who have served in conflicts and wars for this nation, I SALUTE YOU FOR, THOSE WHO HAVE FALLEN I BOW MY HEAD, AND THOSE WHO TRIED AND DID NOT MAKE IT, YOU GAVE IT YOUR BEST. When Marines are called to battle, they don't ask why, they just go, kick a-- and take names. Every inch of soil, every drop of water that has the Stars and Stripes flying over it, it's guarded by U.S. Military personnel and some countries do not appreciate our presence (a--holes). After Vietnam, one or two years later, ...

Updated 10-09-10 at 02:32 PM by lloyd holland

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Shark Bait

During my tour at Guantanamo Bay Cuba, i haven't even been in the FMF a year yet, but being on the fenceline at GTMO you grow up fast. The fenceline could become a combat zone at the drop of a dime. You could be driving down the fenceline at night and see AK-47 fire hitting the fence, or standing guard in an OP and watch defectors climbing the fence while Cuban soilders chase them. Anyone who has ever been on the fenceline know it's tales. Driving my 5 ton down the line one day with a few grunts ...

Updated 09-28-10 at 11:36 AM by lloyd holland

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. My Brother

For the Marines who still survive, we all gave some. For the Marines who perished in battle, they gave all. For the Marine who shed his blood with me like no other, he shall forever be my brother. Some times we may not see eye to eye, but we are still brothers. But in the heat of battle, and we're back to back, no enemy shall come between us, because we are brothers. If one should fall and do not rise again, stand tall beside his gravesite with honor in your eyes. When the taps have played it's ...

Updated 09-23-10 at 02:22 PM by lloyd holland

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Fallen Marine

In 1979 or 80 my squadron (VMA(AW)533) was on a training deployment to MCAS Yuma Arizona, getting ready for a WESTPAC deployment. Like any det you are expected too work hard and safely, and when you secure for the day you enjoy your free time. One day after we leave our work area and head to the E-club for a couple of cold ones, an old school buddy from back in Va., belly ups to the bar beside me, my boy Boo. We shoot the breeze until someone hollers "last call for alcohol". So we make ...

Updated 09-22-10 at 12:57 PM by lloyd holland

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. U Can't Hang

After graduating from boot camp in 1977, i was just like any young green amphibious monster just unleashed from the hells of Parris Island, all i needed was a hip held 50 cal., enough ammo that would not run out, a box of c-rats and a full canteen and i would have taken the world myself, (yeah right) thats what i thought. After comming home for leave i had to look up some of my old high school friends. Karen and Tara two of my homegirls stopped by in their little green VW bug with a few bottles ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. P.T. In P.I.

When i arrived to the airwing from motor-t and the grunts, i found out it was like night and day, from living in tent city to living in aircondition barracks, what luxury i thought, but some places my squadron deployed too like Korea was a tent city. I was given the title of training NCO, NBC NCO, and whatever else NCO in S3 ops. Well i traded my 5-ton truck and M-16 rifle for a ink pen and a typewritter (not by my choice). Anyone who has ever had a desk job, it's just like sitting in the head, ...

Updated 09-14-10 at 11:53 AM by lloyd holland

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Leatherneck

Sitting in an airport waiting on his flight home, a young Marine in his dress blues, honor man of his platoon, just out of boot camp was catching up on some reading from his Marine Corps manual. He was caught up in all of the knowledge that he was taken in and drifted off into another world, the world of the Marines. He dreamed of all of the new places and people and the things that he was going to see during his tour of duty. All of a sudden he felt a couple of tugs on each side of his neck that ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. 50 yr. old recruits who never graduated from boot

In June of 1977, 10 days after graduating from high school, i was standing on those yellow foot prints at Parris Island. A buddy and i were suppose to have went in on the buddy plan, but he had a situation pop up (a baby boy). Well i found out what Marine Corps boot camp was all about. After making it through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd phase, i was only a few days from graduation. Platoon 2072 was sitting down to one of its last meals as a unit at 2nd battalion chow hall, when a new platoon stumbled through ...

Updated 09-04-10 at 09:49 AM by lloyd holland (spelling)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. The Beginning Of Time

In the beginning was the word, and the word was GOD, and all else was darkness and void and without form. So God created the heaven and earth, he created the sun, the moon, and the stars so that light might pierce the darkness. On the earth God divided the land and the sea, and this he filled with many assorted creatures. The dark salty creatures that inhabited the murkey depths of the oceans, God called sailors and dressed them accordingly, with trousers that looked like bells at the bottom and ...

Updated 09-01-10 at 01:39 PM by lloyd holland (spelling)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. How i joined the Corp.

The day i joined the Marines seemed like only yesterday, but it was 34 years ago. On December 31st 1976, my dad and i were reading the sunday paper when i turned a page and saw a full page ad, "last day for G.I. bill". I looked over at pops and asked him what do you think i should do, dad being a WWII Army veteran who served in the Pacific, threw me the car keys and said, do what you have to do. Well i had just refused an offer from my dad and uncle to send me to Grambling State University, ...

Updated 01-21-11 at 01:04 PM by lloyd holland

Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. The Mighty Sand Flea.

For those of you who may not know, listen to this tale of a mighty foe. It lives in a place called Parris Island,"the land that GOD forgot, the sand is 14 inches deep and the sun is blazzing hot". It's so small and never seen, has a bite that's nasty and mean, it can even hide behind a hair, some claim its bite is mightier than a grizzly bear. It can bring pain to any recruit, make him move and feel the toe of the D.I.s boot. If you're one who has ever felt it's attack, then you know it ...

Updated 09-21-10 at 11:24 AM by lloyd holland

Categories
    Uncategorized