Marine Corps - USMC Community - Comments - Blogs

Blog Comments

I arrived in-country on Jan. 28, 1968, two days before TET, and immediately sent up to Dong Ha several miles south of the DMZ. Stayed up there my entire 13 month tour.
    Somehow my Platoon Album has been misplaced and I'm looking for information on how to find another copy. I graduated from San Diego MCRD on Sept. 29, 1967, Platoon #1039, and if anyone can give me a lead I sure would appreciate it. Thanks so very much and Semper Fi. My email address is: remijan.james@yahoo.com
    I served with 3/5 at An Hoa from 1968-1969. I was the driver going around the Delta defense perimeter on Feb 23, 1969 when the ammo dump was blowing up picking up our wounded along with Lt. Benz and the corpsman
    8404 "Doc", Arrived Nam Thanksgiving Day, 1967. Kilo/3/3 through June 1, 1968: At Gio Linh, Alpha-3, C-2, C-2-Bravo, Dat Do, Cua Viet, various operations, too much combat. Then 3rd Med Bn at Phu Bai and Quang Tri. Any other survivors out there looking for other survivors from same units, locations?
    I arrived in Danang on 6 July 1969. My MOS was 2851 Aviation Radio Repairman. I was a corporal assigned to Ist MAW, MWHG-1, First Comm Squadron. Not much action other than a few rockets and mortars every couple weeks and a truck hit a land mine just outside our wire in Dog Patch one day. There wad also a guy that was killed while on duty in the guard tower one night. No one knows how it happened. I'll never forget the Marines I served with. They and every other Vietnam vet will always be my brothers.
    ooorraah! USMC I Corps. Vietnam. My Uncle was a sniper in I Corps. God Bless You Marines!
    3RDMARDIV Hue'-Phu-Bai 67-68 11th Marine Regiment wired the perimeter with ordnance and trip defenses. 1/69 FO Hill 55 South of Danang 1970 Qual PLC flight program 3 years NAS Pensacola
    some things in life we learn early:
    (like putting our feet in our mouth)
    somethings else in life take time and understanding....
    49 / 50 some years later, i can see it in my dreams like i just left yesterday.

Marines here help me
    deal and cope/ and once in awhile
    give me a "Laugh" and a good memory or two...

thanks and SemperFi Brothers
    Great Start to a Good Blog.
    From Inside the wire Chu Lai,Da Nang, Dong Ha, & Quang Tri - '67-'68.
    Roger!

I did my tour with Delta 1/7 at LZ Baldy, Lima 3/5 at hill 34, and Golf 2/1 at Marble Mountain. I serve in Nam from July of 1970 till April of 1971, mostly in Quang Nam Province. I did make it up to Hue City and Quang Tri a few times. I was an 0311 Squad leader my whole time there and was wounded in action twice.

I retired out of the Corps September 1st 1991 after 22 and a half years. Like most grunts of time all I can really say about Nam is: Nam was a real trip."

Semper Fi!

Gunny S.
    Gy7ras,

Vietvet1968 here! Am still "feeling " my way around the site.
    Served with G-2/4 3rdMarDiv in RVN 20July'66-15Aug'67. Have a bad case of CRS of my tour, wish it were otherwise. Don't even recall any of my buddies & that's a shame.
    If you don't mind me asking who did you do your tour with & when? Am always looking for someone possibly served with.

SEMPER FIDELIS BROTHER,
    Vietvet1968@comcast.net
    Roger D. Stewart
    Am intotal agreement with what Gunny said and the way he said it. Couldn't have been put better. Always easy to tell the ones that were there. We do have a Special Brotherhood inside the Brotherhood of being MARINES; I call it " BROTHERS FORGED UNDER FIRE ".

Vietvetvet1968@comcast.net
    Roger D. Stewart
    for some reason , i cant comment on this page/ whats the problem
    I still don't talk much about I Corps--as someone said--whether you were inside or outside the wire it was still a mindf***! Where else could a stupid young punk have SOS for breakfast, go out with the grunts south of Marble Mt, call in an air strike and be back inside with time enough to check out a surfboard and play among the sea snakes! As a 2881 Crypto tech, I didn't see much action--but what I did see has remained with me forever. It shaped me into what I am today--a stupid old punk!
    Semper Fi, my brothers.
    S/F Great idea. Now get started..................
    I just want to add that I realize that what I called a place to get some healing time is really a place to talk and get some coping skills, that's what I meant to say. We will never heal from the war only learn to deal with on a daily basis. The war is part of our permanent persona now. I think that's what finally helped me to understand my choices when it comes to dealing with the war, either I do or I don't, not much of a choice but it's the only one I have.

But as I share with you here on the blog you'l see that I'm a even and balanced Marine who remember's the funny stuff as well as the tough stuff. Just like the time one of our Marines stood up during a monsoon rain, looked up at the sky, shook both fists and yelled out at the top of his lungs: No balls to quit rain god, no F**king Balls!
    LEAST THEY NOT BE FORGOTTEN, MIA/KIA..............usmc
    Great idea Gunny,many of us that served in the I Corp as I did In 66-67 inside the wire or outside not all of us could be 0311.I my self was a gasgrunt 1391 served in and outside the wire.I'll never forget the smell in the air when I got off the plane the first time in Danang April 66.

Thanks Gunny
    Ignacio.
    Gunny S.,
    I believe this blog of yours to be a good idea.
    I once tried it myself on another site but I quickly gave it up as it became too personal, which of course threatened my security and so I once again withdrew and bunkered up. I wear my emotions on my sleeve and even though I try to hide from the world what I consider sacred memories, albeit many of which are terrible and painful, I need a place to not only observe and listen, but also to vent and to share with others who walked in my shoes. Many of us, including me, have trust issues, and anger issues, as well as the usual amount of survivor's guilt, ghosts and demons and all the other baggage that the professionals like to think makes us so easy to identify and diagnose in recent years. I know from personal experience of going it alone and from being invisible for over 40 years that many times, what you see is not necessarily what you get. Again, a good idea and I hope to contribute when I can, as long as I can, because the only reason I broke my silence a few years ago was hoping it would be positive therapy for me. Also, because I felt the need to protect the honor of our fallen brothers from the hateful and disrespect treatment by some that wanted to rewrite history and also the recent abundance of posers and wannabes that attempt to steal the honor and the glory of those who fell in battle and we survivors that know the truth. I believe our shared combat experiences and our shared legacy makes us unique brothers, as well as our brotherhood with all Marines.
    Semper Fi, Scott