PDA

View Full Version : Iwakuni Marine wins avionics award

thedrifter
09-30-03, 11:55 AM
Iwakuni Marine wins avionics award
Submitted by: MCAS Iwakuni
Story Identification Number: 2003923185250
Story by Cpl. Robert W. Wynkoop

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION IWAKUNI, Japan(Sept. 19, 2003) -- The Marine Corps Aviation Association is scheduled to recognize one Iwakuni Marine as the Avionics Marine of the Year during an awards presentation in New Bern, N.C., Oct. 23-26.

Gunnery Sgt. Duwayne Darby, , Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 12, avionics work center supervisor, will receive the 2003 Paul G. Vess Award for his superior performance of duties at the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing.

The award was established in honor of Master Gunnery Sgt. Paul G. Vess, a leader in aviation avionics for more than 30 years, according to the association Web site, http://www.flymcaa.org, and is in recognition for the most outstanding contribution to Marine aviation made by an electronics technician.

The work center supervised by Darby maintained a 97.1 percent ready-for-issue rate and processed more than 865 items for testing and repair. His experience and leadership allowed him to spearhead the introduction of the Consolidated Automated Support System (CASS). Although Darby entered the avionics field when all operations were done manually, he said technology is something he welcomes.

"Some people try to resist change. I embrace it," said the Sarrasota, Fla., native. "I think of every day as a new day, and I?m always seeking self-improvement."

Darby said he is the type of Marine who always has something to do. As a combat water survival instructor here, he has contributed in qualifying more than 2,000 Marines.

"Water survival training requires me to put in a lot of long hours. It is extremely physically demanding to keep your body in shape to be an instructor," Darby explained.

While Darby said physical training is an integral part of his life, he also has another part of his body on a workout plan ... his brain.

The first in his family to attend college, Darby holds an associate's from Campbell University and is currently pursuing his bachelor?s in civil engineering at Madison University.

His passion for building things began before his Marine Corps career when he worked in the construction industry. His interest in engineering has given him one more opportunity to give back to the Corps.

The father of four children, Darby also serves another additional duty here as the runway relocation coordinator. His role in the runway relocation project requires him to do what he likes best, "get out in the squadrons and talk to Marines."

He asks Marines what they would like to see in the "perfect work space." Taking the Marines input, he is custom designing each hangar for the Air Station. One thing Darby said he's learned is ideas can come from anywhere.

"I learn from my lance corporals just as much as I have from my master gunnery sergeants," Darby said. "You have to be open-minded about new ideas to be an effective leader."

Following his awards presentation, Darby will travel to a CASS conference in Virginia Beach, Va., before returning here.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003923194449/$file/Avionics.jpg

Gunnery Sgt. Duwayne Darby, Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 12, avionics work center supervisor, discusses the procedure for setting up a new security password on the Consolidated Automated Support System.
Photo by: Cpl. Robert W. Wynkoop

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: