PDA

View Full Version : Retired! 20 years and the plug is pulled

Sgt Leprechaun
10-25-10, 11:49 PM
Just got the paperwork...finally....and retired from the Air National Guard.

An almighty SSgt (USMC Sergeant). Bet ya'll don't know many of them LOL.

A 20 year E-5. Ah, well.

13 years active duty, USMC.
2 years USMCR
3 years Army Reserve
3 years Air Guard.

But...who cares? At least at 60, I'll be drawing a check. And benefits. Could be a LOT worse.

So, that's it. I'm now one of those cranky old retirees beyotching about "It wasn't like this in Rangoon/Young people today, they don't know how good they had it!/Back in the OLD CORPS/Why, I remember when we wore..../Etc etc etc".

It was one heck of a ride....bumpy at times but great at others. While I might have retired from the 'Guard, I'll always be a "Marine". Getting a chance to serve with Marines at the 'tip of the spear, to the edge of the empire', was the greatest gift I've ever been given.

Stick out that reserve time if your close, lads....the long term bennies will most certainly be worth the headache and pain in the arse.

USNAviator
10-25-10, 11:55 PM
Just got the paperwork...finally....and retired from the Air National Guard.

An almighty SSgt (USMC Sergeant). Bet ya'll don't know many of them LOL.

A 20 year E-5. Ah, well.

13 years active duty, USMC.
2 years USMCR
3 years Army Reserve
3 years Air Guard.

But...who cares? At least at 60, I'll be drawing a check. And benefits. Could be a LOT worse.

So, that's it. I'm now one of those cranky old retirees beyotching about "It wasn't like this in Rangoon/Young people today, they don't know how good they had it!/Back in the OLD CORPS/Why, I remember when we wore..../Etc etc etc".

It was one heck of a ride....bumpy at times but great at others. While I might have retired from the 'Guard, I'll always be a "Marine". Getting a chance to serve with Marines at the 'tip of the spear, to the edge of the empire', was the greatest gift I've ever been given.

Stick out that reserve time if your close, lads....the long term bennies will most certainly be worth the headache and pain in the arse.

Jason

Congrats and well done. Yes I do know how tough it was for you but you did it. When those checks start rolling in, you and your wife will be very grateful you stuck it out....Outstanding!!!

My best to your wife and your three daughters

Dan

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 12:00 AM
Thanks sir! One son, too. Just did a scout campout this weekend...it was nice not to have to do drill LOL. Then again, a weekend with the boy scouts...or a weekend in the Air Guard...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

ShannonL
10-26-10, 12:09 AM
Well done Marine! Now you can rest and put your sword away for another day. Now the criminals have a serious problem...you have more time to spend on making them cry.

Four kids, any grandkids? Either way. True wealth in is your family. My best to you all.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 12:28 AM
Thank you sir! Yep...both daughters grown, and 2 kids between them...third on the way....all boys no less!

Other two are 'at home'.

Semper...

ShannonL
10-26-10, 12:31 AM
Any future Marines?

wildwoman73
10-26-10, 12:31 AM
Congrats. I can't wait to retire so I can start on my second career!! They always say one job per child. I'll be a Walmart greeter "fo sho"! That's what happens when you have em later in life. :)

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 12:33 AM
LOL! No such luck for me...I'm still working full time plus the part time jobs. Then again I have no idea what I'd do if I had...nothing to do....

ShannonL
10-26-10, 12:34 AM
Congrats. I can't wait to retire so I can start on my second career!! They always say one job per child. I'll be a Walmart greeter "fo sho"! That's what happens when you have em later in life. :)

LOL.

Rather be Walmart security...Use the Marine training.;)

*clean up on Isle Four!*

wildwoman73
10-26-10, 12:50 AM
LOL.

Rather be Walmart security...Use the Marine training.;)

*clean up on Isle Four!*
Most lost prevention top dogs around here are retired troopers or Marines! Wouldn't mind part time in loss prevention now. Use to working every day of the week and quite frankly...I'm bored with just two jobs.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 01:00 AM
Shannon, the two younger kids are 'hopefuls'. Part of the reason I never made E-6 SSgt on active duty was my oldest daughter had to have Brain Surgery (eventually) and I couldn't deploy anymore. That also made her in-eligible for enlisting. She's 20 now. The next kid wanted to go....then decided instead to make babies. Sigh. She's ineligible but happily married and just bought a house. Can't complain. Hopes for the last 2 maybe one will get 'the bug'.

ShannonL
10-26-10, 01:01 AM
Most lost prevention top dogs around here are retired troopers or Marines! Wouldn't mind part time in loss prevention now. Use to working every day of the week and quite frankly...I'm bored with just two jobs.

Sounds good, use the training, make a thief cry for mummy as you fold him up like a piece of paper. What about debt collection? Kick door in and haul the guy over the desk and stare at him dead in the eyes and say..."Pay up."...while he wets his chair.:evilgrin:Build up a rep and you'll just have call in future.

wildwoman73
10-26-10, 01:15 AM
Eh...when I was in debt...I hated those bastards calling. I can't be someone I hate. And as far as loss prevention...they aren't even allowed to detain people. They can "urge" them to stop but the are suppose to call 911(that's me) and I send the guy/gal with the shiney badge.

I'm really nice believe it or not. The "Golden Rule" my friend. I'm 37. By 45-50...I might want to show the county what a working Constable is like. I was a county jailer/prison officer for 10 years. Got more respect treating people like humans rather than scum low life animals. I could walk in a 24 man tank in full riot and they would scurry to their individual cells. Couldn't possibly be my size of intimitation. May have been the respect for me or the fact that by really raising my voice, I could rattle some concrete walls. (Yet another good quality I learned from the Marine Corps)

ShannonL
10-26-10, 01:24 AM
Eh...when I was in debt...I hated those bastards calling. I can't be someone I hate. And as far as loss prevention...they aren't even allowed to detain people. They can "urge" them to stop but the are suppose to call 911(that's me) and I send the guy/gal with the shiney badge.

I'm really nice believe it or not. The "Golden Rule" my friend. I'm 37. By 45-50...I might want to show the county what a working Constable is like. I was a county jailer/prison officer for 10 years. Got more respect treating people like humans rather than scum low life animals. I could walk in a 24 man tank in full riot and they would scurry to their individual cells. Couldn't possibly be my size of intimitation. May have been the respect for me or the fact that by really raising my voice, I could rattle some concrete walls. (Yet another good quality I learned from the Marine Corps)

well said...I never doubted that you were a nice person, just a hard nut to crack. When you 45 - 50...you'll show em.

ShannonL
10-26-10, 01:31 AM
Shannon, the two younger kids are 'hopefuls'. Part of the reason I never made E-6 SSgt on active duty was my oldest daughter had to have Brain Surgery (eventually) and I couldn't deploy anymore. That also made her in-eligible for enlisting. She's 20 now. The next kid wanted to go....then decided instead to make babies. Sigh. She's ineligible but happily married and just bought a house. Can't complain. Hopes for the last 2 maybe one will get 'the bug'.

Family aslways come first. I'm glad your daughters surgery went well. Bouncing grandkids on your knee is what you need Marine. Something has to add softness in your life...Maybe you'll watch one go off to boot camp. If any have interest, your guidance will help.

R Landry
10-26-10, 06:41 AM
Congrats. Now you can give back and make new friends by joining Rotary, the NFL of service clubs.

Osotogary
10-26-10, 06:49 AM
Congratulations to you and yours. I guess by now, with all the experiences you have had and gone through, you pretty much know how to minimalize your needs. That experience should give you a head start into retirement. Live large when you can. Darn, good news about good people, is always...good to hear. All the best to you.
Gary

Rocky C
10-26-10, 07:28 AM
Congrats Jason !!!
Thank you for All those Years of Service.

Semper Fi Brother,
Rocky

Lisa 23
10-26-10, 07:49 AM
Congrats Jason....and thanks for all those years of service also.
Enjoy your retirement.

Semper Fidelis :usmc:

TJR1070
10-26-10, 07:53 AM
Congratulations Lep, Thanks for protecting me and my family for the better part of your adult life. Semper Fi!

R Landry
10-26-10, 08:04 AM
Don't fret making 'only' E-5 in your 20 years. I've seen E-1s sporting 5 hashmarks.

FoxtrotOscar
10-26-10, 09:31 AM
Don't have to add much, everyone else has already done that.. Congratulations...

yellowwing
10-26-10, 10:14 AM
Outstanding! Longevity is its own reward!

oldtop
10-26-10, 01:59 PM
Congratulations Lep, Outstanding job! The rewards at age 60 will come in quite handy, you're liable to find that you're making more after you truly retire than you ever made while you were working!!

Semper Fi

Zulu 36
10-26-10, 02:07 PM
Congrats, Lep. How long until 60?

yanacek
10-26-10, 02:39 PM
Glad to hear that Lep. Congratulations. Of course, there is no guarantee you will receive one cent of pension when you turn 60. Obama and future presidents may have to keep the money to pay the interest on the national debt.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 03:38 PM
Congrats. Now you can give back and make new friends by joining Rotary, the NFL of service clubs.

Actually never thought of that. But with my full time, and part time jobs, I just flat out don't have the time. We've got a local Ruritan, Grange, Rotary, VFW, Legion, etc etc...ALL of whom have been trying to recruit me and the family for years. Was in the Grange for awhile but, again, just don't have the time to spare. Wish I did.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 03:41 PM
I turn 46 this year so it's not as long as some. Thanks to all my active duty time, I'll be drawing a very nice pension (moreso than some Senior enlisted folks with nothing but Guard time) at 60. The end benefits will indeed pay off.....as long as the gummint doesn't steal 'em from me....and I live to collect LOL

Thanks everyone. I very much appreciate it.

hbharrison
10-26-10, 03:55 PM
Out friken standing Lep:thumbup::thumbup::beer:

Jarheadtanker
10-26-10, 04:04 PM
Great job, Sgt. Lep! Thank you for your service sir! Now sit back and enjoy life. You have definitely earned it. Job very well done! Semper Fi, brother!