PDA

View Full Version : No More Scuzz Brushing on the Island?!

Ward2010
10-23-10, 11:51 PM
Yes it's true, my company was the last company to use the brush their entire stay on the Island.

Too many Recruits going to medical complaining of Knee pains and Joint aches.

For the last 4 weeks not a single Scuzz Brush has touched the deck.

Backhaus 1103
10-24-10, 12:04 AM
Sooooo what do they do? Before boot, I never knew you could do that much with a brush.

jinelson
10-24-10, 12:04 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x157/usmc3537/1graduate.gif

Congratulations and welcome aboard Marine.

Jim

Ward2010
10-24-10, 12:13 AM
Our Drill Instructors talked about using a Towel next cycle, not sure though what they're going to do to replace it.

And thank you, it was all worth it.

gwamo1
10-24-10, 11:50 AM
I'm having trouble believing this...

m14ed
10-24-10, 12:57 PM
Somewhere in my basement, i know i still have the one issued to me at the island.
We used them on the decks, laundering our clothes on the wash racks next to the barracks, cleaning and brushing the horsehair greens and blankets to remove lint.
I doubt them having made a Harder Brush.
Perhaps they're makeing softer recruits ?

stretchusa
10-24-10, 01:04 PM
I call BS

wildwoman73
10-24-10, 01:16 PM
I'm speechless....for once.

usmc987332
10-24-10, 01:31 PM
Yes it's true, my company was the last company to use the brush their entire stay on the Island.

Too many Recruits going to medical complaining of Knee pains and Joint aches.

For the last 4 weeks not a single Scuzz Brush has touched the deck.
Be sure to take your scrub brush home with you. Once you have to give up your rifle, it will be your best friend. Great for scrubbing kids and dogs.

Old Marine
10-24-10, 01:48 PM
I'm quite sure that the Drill Instructors will improvise by locating a tooth brush or two or three or more.

Ward2010
10-24-10, 04:10 PM
I call BS

I'm not lying. I got off the island two weeks ago and it happened our last week. We were told we shouldnt give a **** because we were done anyway and we were the last company to use it the entire length of Recruit Training. Also 6 or so more rules were made for Drill Instructors but we never were told what those were. I Was just passing the information along if I was going to make something up I could come up with something better than our scuzzbbrush.

usmc987332
10-24-10, 04:15 PM
I'm not lying. I got off the island two weeks ago and it happened our last week. We were told we shouldnt give a **** because we were done anyway and we were the last company to use it the entire length of Recruit Training. Also 6 or so more rules were made for Drill Instructors but we never were told what those were. I Was just passing the information along if I was going to make something up I could come up with something better than our scuzzbbrush.
I can't imagine what will take their place, unless it is toothbrushes as mentioned earlier.

stretchusa
10-24-10, 04:41 PM
Didn't say you were lying, I just think you got bad scoop. To me it sounds like your DI's were having some fun with y'all is all.

usmc987332
10-24-10, 05:02 PM
Didn't say you were lying, I just think you got bad scoop. To me it sounds like your DI's were having some fun with y'all is all.
I certainly hope so. Without that all purpose brush how would handle a squad member that was not taking a shower regularly?

Ward2010
10-24-10, 05:15 PM
First phase platoons were in the chow hall talking about how they were so happy there was no more scuzzing so I don't know it seemed legit

usmc987332
10-24-10, 05:27 PM
We have bantering the word FEAR around lately. Some believe Thumping is used to instill fear in the Marine. I have said the Marine Corps taught me how to cope with many of my fears, and many of my fears have actually been cured by my training. But never once did they attempt to instill FEAR in me, and they didn't. I don't know what is behind thumping, but I don't think it was meant to instill a long lasting fear in the recruit. I do know it was probably used for one DI to try to outdo other DIs. DIs of my day really needed that ego. I guess there isn't any such thing as an X DI either. So you DIs out there, what do you think.

Now, back to the purpose of this thread. The day the Marine Corps becomes based on FEAR, that is the DAY I become an X Marine. I still have my Greens in my closet. That is the day I will burn them. The day the Marines going are going into a fight because they are afraid they have lost their war. Going into a fight I was always afraid, but The Marine Corps had taught me how to overcome those fears.

Remember what Roosevelt said about Fear.

If you are motivated by FEAR, get out of the Corps!!

usmc987332
10-24-10, 06:44 PM
Nothing wrong with using fear as a tool to instill discipline, Bob.
Please ignore what I have said on the subject and just refer to Major General Raymond L. Murray, former CG of MCRD Parris Island, who said fear first, then discipline or fear first, then pride, but he definitely used the word "fear" to mean that they used it down there as a tool, to help build the foundation of absolute and unquestioning obedience to orders. I'll try to find the exact quote, someone from that era 1963-1967 might remember his exact words.
Let me understanding what you are saying. If I read you right, you are saying use FEAR as a learning tool, not something that is intended to become a part of the Marine. You know, if I had fear of my superiors, I would probably be trying to appease them instead of doing my job.

Not trying to put words in your mouth, but at what point should FEAR become a moot factor. Me, I could not work under someone I was afraid of. Marine Corps or civilian.

usmc987332
10-24-10, 07:01 PM
Silver star at Guadalcanal and one for Tarawa, and led the troops at Chosin Reservoir, so although no one is infallible, the late Maj Gen R L Murray's words about it always rang true with me......we're afraid to rough up the recruits too badly, and now the scrubbing of the deck might have been done away with .
Maybe it's time for two week orientation classes at PI, taking notes, graduate, go home.....not now, but maybe within 10 years, as we phase out all the really dangerous stuff like occasional thumping and scrubbing down the deck.
Whoa!!! Now you are putting words in my mouth and the mouth and the mouth of General Murray. I think he is saying to learn the men there is an easy to be obedient, but you've got to get the men's attention first. While I don agree with thumping, I think there are many ways to achieve the same result.

DIs have a big ego and are occasionaly going to step out of bounds, regardless of the method used. Thumping out of control causes serious injury too frequently. Of course, over zealous application of other methods, also, results in physical injury.

Of course, I am judging DIs on the basis of what I saw 66 years ago. I just believe the things that made good DIs 66 years ago still makes good DIs. What I say about DIs is not meant to be any to DIs.

usmc987332
10-24-10, 07:15 PM
Somewhere in my basement, i know i still have the one issued to me at the island.
We used them on the decks, laundering our clothes on the wash racks next to the barracks, cleaning and brushing the horsehair greens and blankets to remove lint.

I still have one, too, it isn't much use. It doesn't have any bristles left. Maybe I'll just put it in my medal display case.

thezero
10-24-10, 07:29 PM
That's gotta be a load of crap, if recruits are *****ing about cleaning with the scuzz maybe they should just get the hell out they signed the papers. It's called grab a can o' man, let the balls drop and suck it up.

USNAviator
10-24-10, 07:30 PM

I was going to say I can't believe 18, 19, 20, yo's are going to Sick Bay (now called Medical I guess) because they spent too much time on their knees.

Amazing and sad if true

usmc987332
10-24-10, 08:28 PM
Bob, Maj Gen Murray definitely said something on the order of "fear, then pride". But it was definitely something like that.
The fear ends upon graduation, but I'll tell you what seems to me to be a fact, and that is we all have some fear in us, and it acts as a deterrent and a tool for discipline, for example, a lot of us have been in situations where we would have liked to do something to someone, but fear of the consequences stopped us, or caused us to think. At work, we have all thought of telling the boss the title of an old Johnny Paycheck country song, but fear of being fired stops us and helps us control ourselves.

zero, I have never heard that expression OPEN UP A CAN O MAN, that is hilarious, I love it
Appreciate your thoughts, however, I would not work for a man I feared. If I thought the job was worth having, I would figure out what makes the man tick, and overcome my fear of him or quit.

I know you have read my posts and know I still had pleanty of them when I left PI,
but I left there without some the fears I had when I came, and learned to cope with those I still had. I don't believe I left with any new fears, and I think that is what the Corps intended to happen.

USNAviator
10-24-10, 08:28 PM
Bob cracks me up, is still on that thumping thread from some time ago, we never will agree but we keep talking about it......Bob, meet you here five years from now, the same thread will still be going :)

Bob, I think y'all are a bit off point here. With all due respect sir, this thread is about scuzz brushes not fear. I think Dave might want to meet you in Chesty's Hooch regarding your opinions about fear and training.

Take care!

usmc987332
10-24-10, 08:31 PM
And yet, after all the discussions we have about today's young Marines---the fact remains that they do an excellent job on the battlefields......so either we are just nostalgic wanting to have it the way it was in the good old days, or there is something we don't know about, because in spite of the lessening of fear, they still produce real Marines at PI and SD......
I had a grandson graduate from PI a couple months ago. I think he had pretty much the same attitude I did, but better trained.

usmc987332
10-24-10, 08:39 PM
Bob, I think y'all are a bit off point here. With all due respect sir, this thread is about scuzz brushes not fear. I think Dave might want to meet you in Chesty's Hooch regarding your opinions about fear and training.

Take care!
I think this is my big boo-boo. I tried to create a new thread but went wrong somewhere. I don't even know how to undo what I have done in error. I thank you for being my "Salley" on this site.

I had no intention to mix utility brushes up with FEAR. However, I do think we had at one non-bathing squad member that probably have FEAR for the utility brush. We were not very creative in naming our brushes in my day.

USNAviator
10-24-10, 08:50 PM
I think this is my big boo-boo. I tried to create a new thread but went wrong somewhere. I don't even know how to undo what I have done in error. I thank you for being my "Salley" on this site.

I had no intention to mix utility brushes up with FEAR. However, I do think we had at one non-bathing squad member that probably have FEAR for the utility brush. We were not very creative in naming our brushes in my day.

Bob

Sir you owe us/me no explanation. I thought you might get a better response regarding your thoughts on another thread started by Dave....:thumbup:

USNAviator
10-24-10, 08:55 PM
Hi Dan, you and I posted at the very same time, see number 37 just before yours.....

Great minds....lol.

usmc987332
10-24-10, 08:59 PM
Bob

Sir you owe us/me no explanation. I thought you might get a better response regarding your thoughts on another thread started by Dave....:thumbup:
It was my intention to create a thread called: Under what circumstances would you consider becoming an X Marine.

usmc987332
10-24-10, 09:42 PM
Bob, go to top of Open Squad Bay and go to the button NEW TOPIC, or let me know if you want me to start it there, either way is fine with me----
Open Squad Bay might be the best. It might be the best to keep it away from Dave's since that will make it a continuiance of FEAR which will be my basic reason for becoming an X-Marine.

I think I have learned my lesson and not defend my position. Instead try to learn if there are other reasons for wanting to become an X-Marine. I was not my intention to infringe on Dave's thread.

Garyius
10-25-10, 08:57 AM
We never used the brush on the decks in boot camp. 1987 at San Diego. It was deck towels only in the squadbay and mops everywhere else.

We only did the wash rack thing with the brushes maybe twice, too. After that it was washing machine details going over to the old huts.

CplMotivate
10-25-10, 10:15 AM
I work at 2nd Recruit Training Battalion on Parris Island as the Supply Chief and it is to my dismay that I have to say that yes, scuz brushes have legitimately been done away with. The alternate to scuz brushing is now and for the foreseeable future push brooming.

usmc987332
10-25-10, 12:16 PM
Is there going to be a funeral? If so, I would like to send flowers.

Supersquishy
10-25-10, 12:31 PM
Someone stole my scuz brush!!!!!!! I went into my box of boot **** and its gone! Thank gawd they didnt take my Green Monster!

yanacek
10-25-10, 12:36 PM
I don't remember using the scuzz brush but a few times to do laundry. Laundry was most of the time placed into a nylon laundry bag and taken away to be washed. For the decks, we used a push broom and a dust pan. It was then swabbed.

Vise
10-25-10, 12:38 PM
Aw man!!!! I was looking forward to using the scuzz brush!!!!!

cmiller91
10-25-10, 12:45 PM
They must have just stopped that then, we used scuzz brushes even through Marine Week October 3-8th, 2010 (3 weeks ago).

Vise
10-25-10, 01:02 PM
I hate when I read books about boot camp from 2000- and then come on here and find out that some aspect of bootcamp has been changed. What's next, are they gonna get rid of the Gas Chamber because Recruits complain that it hurts their mucous membranes too much?

Phantom Blooper
10-25-10, 01:09 PM
I just got back from the VAMC in Gainesville....and stopped by the orthopedic ward and visited some Marine patients with knee replacement and lumbar problems...needing disk replacement because of degenerative disease and each one through the VA rep and social worker told me that it was that 8' scuzz brush that done them in and started them on the path to their current medical woes!

Swear to Chesty...it's true!

NOT!

It is a damn shame that an 8' scuzz brush is whooping azz and taking out potential canidates.....

When you hit the fleet....stay back from that big bad buffer....with the BIG scuzzy brush and pad.

Hire out the clean up to civilian janitorial service....like the chow hall and the front gates.....

Make it their worry....

Might be covered under Obamacare if a scuzz brush monster stomps their knees and back.:evilgrin:

Vise
10-25-10, 01:29 PM
It's blasphemy.

usmc987332
10-26-10, 02:45 PM
True, Marines of all eras come from the society they grew up in, that's a given. But when the Marine Corps changes to do things the way that particular society would do things, that is a mistake. And to say, well, they won't attract recruits if they don't change, that I think is questionable. When we were in, you could not choose your MOS unless it was 'aviation guaranteed'. So we did fine, we got what MOS we got and went at it......and not one of us was ever injured by using a brush, true they were wooden barracks back then, and the only concrete barracks was the one at the rifle range, and 3rd Battalion, but in those days 2nd and 1st Bns were all wooden barracks, and the brushes had more use then, than they would on other kinds of surfaces, but still, it's getting to where everything changes to accomodate the individual, more and more.
In my day you were given your choice of duty, and then, if were 18, you became a rifleman (guaranteed).

Garyius
10-26-10, 04:53 PM
I must say, 100 hours less time marching around and cleaning the floor in the squad bay would be an extra hundred hours spent on something useful--like calling for fire or air--in an environment where quality of classes could be maintained.

Unlike the fleet where the grunts had BS hip pocket classes and couldn't do a JTAR or HR to save their lives.

Cutting down on the BS seems like a good idea, for sure after first phase.

SlingerDun
10-26-10, 05:16 PM
I don't remember using the scuzz brush but a few times to do laundrysame same, it wasn't until sea school and then sea duty that i found myself down on all fours scuzzing heads, even though the swabbies somehow easily managed to secure stiff brushes with long stand up handleshttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

usmc987332
10-26-10, 05:21 PM
All kidding aside, the utility brush or whatever you want to call it certainly outlived its time. I agree, that saved time can be used for better things. If you still have yours, save it. It will be an antique before long. What would you think about $100 for one without bristles? It could happen one day, so don't throw it away.

thezero
10-26-10, 09:06 PM
the zero saying Grab a Can o Man has me laughing yet....I never heard that before, it is one of the best things I ever heard

I may be a young Lance but I got plenty of sayings, I just have to watch out who I say them to :banana:

Edit: I should have saved my scuz brush...well my original one I bet I could sell it for some big cash, especially if I sold the two pieces together after breaking the b*tch in two!

wildwoman73
10-26-10, 11:18 PM
thezero...ablsolutely. Expect me to plagurize.

thezero
10-27-10, 09:09 PM
That only came up 5 times in google?! I think I better get my patent on that one!:banana:

eleventen32
10-27-10, 10:46 PM
This has got to be a joke. As dumb as it sounds scuzzing was one of the hardest things I had to do at boot camp. When you scuzz for hours on end and the windows are shut and bleach is being splashed in your face and its smell is so strong you can hardly breath... you know you are being trained.

gwcarpenterii
10-29-10, 01:08 PM
At OCS we used them last year 09 and this year 10. Never had any complaints about knees or joints.

SlingerDun
10-29-10, 03:50 PM
I reckon it would feel like hell scuzzing the deck with a hand brush using caustic toxic chemicals and a D.I. gnashing down your neck; if a recruit had never worked a steady 8+ hour day in any number of low paying, cruel bent over manual labor occupations under a prick foreman

thezero
10-29-10, 08:29 PM
Scuzzing was never hard until you had to lift something and hold it while you scuzzed outside of that all it was, was a time killer. Honestly if you ***** and moan about it then check yourself cause even 4th Bn doesn't ***** about stupid **** like this :scared:

usmc987332
10-29-10, 11:11 PM
Makes sense to eliminate the brush BUT but what are we going to do in case of another war, make guns or washing machines.

How are we going to get all those machines to the front lines? How many men will them ashore? Are we going to run them on big batteris or generators?

thewookie
11-15-10, 02:49 PM
Canc this.

My sisters boyfriend is on the Island right now (3 weeks in and he is the Guide) and I got this message from her today...
Just got a letter from Conner.. He wants me to tell u he got the scuz brush treatment the other day. He thinks he blew his knees out going from one end of the squad to the other.

Despite the claims coming from the lance coconut underground.....I think scuz brushing is alive and well. :evilgrin:

kash
11-15-10, 03:47 PM
I remember times after scuzzing I had to count all the bristles.....i lost count so bam quarterdeck...fun times.

Gunner 0313
11-15-10, 05:52 PM
:flag:Bum scoop !

Bravoexpert26
11-16-10, 08:10 PM
They must have just stopped that then, we used scuzz brushes even through Marine Week October 3-8th, 2010 (3 weeks ago).

Hell yeah Bravo Nation! I was 1078

Im truly disappointed to hear about this. Scuzzing was, by far, worse than the quarter deck, and our DIs knew it. The threat of scuzzing up and down the highway always got us to snap to. Its a shame they're stopping it

Yonkers
11-16-10, 08:43 PM
I just got back from the island and this is 100% true... it's crap.. but heh... at least I got to enjoy the fun of getting messed up by the scuzz brush...

It's just a phase, somebody took the scuzz brushing punishments too far so a higher up decided to take it away... it'll be back.

Roger Shepherd
11-17-10, 12:26 AM
I will say that they do change thing's becall's it not the same as it was when I wen't in 1978 as when they went in 1940. I'am sure they will fine something that will work.

PJones64
11-17-10, 07:27 PM
They are stopping it because people complained, and instead of the Marine Corps bucking society's wishes, they are going to please those who complained. What a shame. Maybe if people complain about boot camp existing, they can take a written test in lieu of boot camp, the way things are going.

LJ27
11-18-10, 01:56 PM
Towels were worse imo

GunnyDestroyer
11-18-10, 02:01 PM
How can that be?

The times sure are a changin

Marine1011
11-18-10, 02:49 PM
Yep, get rid of anything that bothers anyone, the new society motto.

Mongoose
11-18-10, 04:11 PM
The D.I.s took us to the commissary a few times. We all had to buy a bottle of Listerene. Thats what we mixed with water to scrub the concrete floors. It was always a joy to go out to the concrete troughs on Sundays and scrub our utilities. I especially loved starching the ones used for inspections. Damn things would stand up in the corner by thierself.

Ward2010
11-26-10, 01:45 PM
I honestly didn't expect this kind of response, but yes it is true. Fox Company last cycle was the last company to scuzz the whole way through. Vise, seeing as your a poolee haha you would probably eat your words on looking forward to scuzzing. It's not bad as people make it out to be, I'm currently in ITB at SOI Camp Geiger. My knees are perfectly fine, except for the occasional pain from an old highschool football injury.

It is still called Sick Bay, but our Drill Instructors called it Medical, so our whole company got used to saying it, but i know for a fact Bravo called it Sick Bay.

The expression Can O Man was used a lot at PI and even here in SOI I'm surprised people haven't heard it used more than they have.

Well I'm going to go study then enjoy the rest of my libo. I'll probably check back again in a few weeks to see the next couple of replies.

FDS1391
11-30-10, 01:35 PM
I can't believe this... Chesty was right in saying "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"

When I was on Island(even though, yes only a little over a year ago) my scuz brush was one my worst enemies there. We scuzzed at least 40 times a day and one time for hopping on line I had to hop around the whole squad bay scuzzing the deck, the whole time doing the duck walk. I still even have my scuzz brush somewhere around here, i think in my wall locker.

I keep seeing the new product from boot camp and they seem to be either more and more retarded, smarter but weaker, or just plain weak. Mothers of America needs to stay out of how we're trained

jrhd97
11-30-10, 02:17 PM
We didn't scuz the deck as frequently as it sounds some of you did. The times we did, my knees and back didn't bother me, cripple me or send me to sick bay.
We used towels more than the scuz brush to dry the floor. That, to me was harder.
What's next? Hold on D.I dude, I'm tweeting an update, chill man...geesh!

jrhd97
11-30-10, 02:20 PM
First phase platoons were in the chow hall talking about how they were so happy there was no more scuzzing so I don't know it seemed legit

First phase recruits talking in the chow hall!! Are you kidding me! That was an offense that brought a punishment close to crucifixion. You kept your head down and ate fast. No time to talk. :scared:

lcpl4life
11-30-10, 03:56 PM
As stupid as I thought scuzzing was you never complained about it. I had one DI that had us doing it for at least 2 hours. Yeah it hurt I already had bad knees but you kept your mouth shut and dealt with it.

Wether it served a purpose or not the recruits need to man the hell up. Its probably because of that damn mothers of america lol.

DrZ
11-30-10, 04:01 PM
First phase recruits talking in the chow hall!! Are you kidding me! That was an offense that brought a punishment close to crucifixion. You kept your head down and ate fast. No time to talk. :scared:

From day 2 (we didn't get to eat on day 1) until we finished boot, we were NEVER permitted to talk in the chow hall. You were too busy stuffing whatever food you could get inside of your mouth prior to the DI telling you that you were eating too damn much. Time alloted for eating was mostly less than time alloted for the three Ss! Talking? Laughing? WTF Over???????????

Vandrel
12-01-10, 08:26 AM

Wait...... what?

1st phase recruits are allowed to talk in the chow hall? I don't ever recall being allowed to "chat" in the chow hall.

Ward2010
12-01-10, 06:41 PM
They weren't chatting, it's called being a disgusting new recruit who would whisper in the chow line because the lines were so long the DI couldn't see threw the clear bulkhead. If they would have been caught it would had been pull off your blouse and pray

Phantom Blooper
12-01-10, 08:47 PM
If they would have been caught it would had been pull off your blouse and pray

What is the purpose of taking off the blouse?

Are they used as prayer mats now...or protection for the knees?

I can see it in 4 to 30 years a write up at a VA hospital on why a Marines back and knees are jacked up from military service.....

Getting statements to verify medical conditions to make service connection...

"Well doc...back in 2010 that scuzz brush and all that reaching up to take off my blouse so I could be pitted sure has taken a toll on my bones and body...thats how I got arthritis and degenerative bone disease....

Is it treatable....How much % can I get ?

Is that both knees....?

I have 79 other witnesses...if I can find them on facebook....

Used to be a sand pit in strategic locations for mass PT....if it was available...most of the time though....DROP where you were at and correction on the spot....fun times going back to the barn and the drill instructor call the PRIVES up to the quarterdeck or if you were special that day the whiskey locker.....for extra military/remedial instruction....

Damn...my knees and back hurts just reminiscing!

Ward2010
12-01-10, 09:15 PM
You take off your blouse when being quarterdecked or pitted. Basically any IT session. And it's not every recruit, my platoon did not have a single person complain to BAS about it

egbutler1
12-01-10, 11:32 PM
WTF? Really are these born in the 90's kids pussies? I duck walked around my squad bay for 3 hours finding ghost turds not being allowed to get up. I bet they don't even let you do the indy 500 anymore or deck towel. Whats going to be taken away next? Regardless times change and individuals get less hard, welcome to the real world generation xbox, sometimes when you work out your body hurts, its not going to be just your thumbs from button mashing all day. Suck it up.

TheReservist
01-02-11, 08:58 PM
Because scrub brushing is the one most important factor in making a Marine.

It's not like there's many other things that can be done like moving your racks back and forth across the highway with footlockers on top without touching the ground.