PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing now.

Pages : [1] 2

MasterGunsmith
10-23-10, 02:17 AM
What is your current carrer/occupation? Me, Correctional Officer, by location the only other thing to do here is gas station/coal mines or grocery store. SW Virginia....Missed alot of work due to 10 years out of Corps and still trying to adapt to the civilian world with PTSD, recently seperated after 12 years of marriage. What about your experience?

SlingerDun
10-23-10, 02:44 AM
which pays better corrections or coal

hbharrison
10-23-10, 08:24 AM
Retarded/Retired, Retired/Retarded Ah heck Both, just taken one day at a time.

spotts
10-23-10, 08:40 AM
I work for the Department of Veteran Affairs in Philadelphia.

sparkie
10-23-10, 08:46 AM
I am blessed by having to work hard for a living. It keeps me younger than I should be.

oldone
10-23-10, 10:41 AM
Retired from railroad, had 31yrs. prior to retirement.

gkmoz
10-23-10, 11:19 AM
Retired from railroad, had 31yrs. prior to retirement.

What department were you in ? Brakeman/Engineer/Shops/Admin / Maintenance of way /signal/ dispatcher/train master/ etc. ?

gkmoz
10-23-10, 11:20 AM
Worked on Conrail as A Conductor/Brakemen. Moz USMC 68-70

oldone
10-23-10, 11:32 AM
Yes, CONRAIL. from 69 - 2000 and usmc 65 - 69
Pat

usmc3521
10-23-10, 11:36 AM
laid off, need a job!

R Landry
10-23-10, 12:19 PM
Retired in 2002 from 31 years with the Federal Government.

+ Naval Facilities Engineering Command - Chesapeake Division (Washington, DC)
+ US Army Corps of Engineers - Europe Division (Frankfurt, Germany)
+ US Army Corps of Engineers - Chief Troop Construction & Range Maintenance (Grafenwoehr, Germany)
+ Naval Facilities Engineering Command - HQ (Arlington, VA)
+ Immigration & Naturalization Service - HQ Facilities & Engineering (Washington, DC)

JRHD72
10-23-10, 12:43 PM
Tool and Die maker. still working n enjoying it!

ChuckH
10-23-10, 01:03 PM
Facilities Manager for a private country club in Greenwich, CT

JD0261
10-23-10, 01:43 PM
Well I was working for Texas Instruments here in Dallas, but had some issues with the new supervisor and resigned, so now I start a new job for a small Petroleum company on Monday.

rb1651
10-23-10, 02:01 PM
I'm working as a Controls and Instrumentation Technician/Electrician for an large pharmaceutical packaging company.

Zulu 36
10-23-10, 03:51 PM
Retired deputy police chief, retired Air Guard MSgt. Sold my graphics business almost two-years ago. I do Venturing Scouting, teach wilderness first aid to Scouts, read a lot and do research into my various learning interests (training, police-use-of-force, first aid, etc). Enjoying my kids.

TMM54
10-23-10, 04:14 PM
I am in last year of Chiropractic College. Next year move to Phoenix and open a large pain relief clinic, disc decompression therapy, headache relief, fibromyalgia treatment, etc. Best thing that I ever did, start helping others. Semper Fi, Tom

usmc987332
10-23-10, 05:25 PM
Retired after sixty-on years, including MC. Currently trying to break the Guiness Book of Records on the number of diseases one man can have and still be around.

Old Marine
10-23-10, 05:52 PM
Retired & living the life of Riley on my military and Social Security checks. Other than the Corps Best thing that ever happened to me was retiring at age 62 which was a few years ago.

sparkie
10-23-10, 06:53 PM
Life is grand,,,,,,, or a *****. Depending on your eyesight,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MOUNTAINWILLIAM
10-23-10, 07:34 PM
Retired from the "Jack of all Trades, Master of One" field at 55, been aggravating everybody I know since (and the on-line crowd since I got a computer).

There's some really hard scratchin' in your area (SW VA and Eastern KY), but folks in that area have a way of coping, those that can't head towards the money (usually to other States).

All the best to you and yours.

Semper Fi

AKA HITMAN
10-23-10, 08:25 PM
Maintenance Engineer for a large Senior Citizen apt. complex...great job/benefits.... the whole package.

Theoldgunny
10-23-10, 09:35 PM
After retitement when to work as purchasing agent f/two different companys when the second moved out of state opened a bar and grill an let my son work it now just sit back an go broke with the way things are going

8541SS
10-23-10, 10:07 PM
usmc from 1980-1991, correction deputy for the past 16 yrs.
Semper Fi

MasterGunsmith
10-24-10, 03:11 AM
It pays pretty much the same. Though I can work overtime and make out pretty good. I can't see myself ever working in the mines. I am going to try and stay here so I can be close to my kids. Working...

tkent60
10-24-10, 09:19 AM
I'm working for Security Services Company in St. Louis Missouri as Operations Manager, was in Corps 1970-1974.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-25-10, 11:42 PM
Hmmmm....

Dept of Army Police Sergeant 04-Present
Various and sundry Law Enforcement jobs prior to that

Own my own VERY small business, Guardian Security and Investigations. Think "Jim Rockford" on a low budget LOL.

Just picked up a part time gig as the Logistics Chief of the US Marine Corps Historical Company (USMCHC). Great job!

Finally got my 20 and retired from the Air Guard last month. 3 years with them, 13 years Active duty in the Corps, 2 years USMCR, 3 years more or less Army Reserve.

TJR1070
10-26-10, 08:06 AM
Firefighter/Paramedic and EMT Instructor at night.

Hey Lep, I am a huge military history buff, how did you get hooked up with the job at USMCHC?

indygti
10-26-10, 11:33 AM
Warehouse manager for an hydraulic seal distributor. It's a good setup for now, but I'm not satisfied with being in the civilian world so I'm working on getting my B.S. in Computer Science asap and get back in the Corps. Unfortunately I don't have time to join the reserves otherwise I'd be doing that as well.

tdrt
10-26-10, 12:49 PM
Biochemist in Research & Development in food industry. I basically make flavor enhancements and develop new flavors.

Previously worked for Army Corps of Engineers in Aquatic Research.

Wyoming
10-26-10, 01:17 PM
Biochemist in Research & Development in food industry. I basically make flavor enhancements and develop new flavors.

Previously worked for Army Corps of Engineers in Aquatic Research.

Does that mean you make meat taste better?

Me, I presently work in the UAE, boring for hydrocarbons and other precious minerals from Ole Mother Earth.

Occasionally, I get to look up a Burka.

tdrt
10-26-10, 01:32 PM

Me, I presently work in the UAE, boring for hydrocarbons and other precious minerals from Ole Mother Earth.

Occasionally, I get to look up a Burka.

Oh, ya. I make meat very flavorful. I also make "fake" meat flavors -- just in case you can't get the real thing. Mouthfeel is very important. :banana:

I also work a lot with yeast extract harvesting RNA, enzymes, amino acids, peptidases, proteinases, and other stuff that will melt your face off.

I always wondered what you did over there other than boring in Burkas.

sparkie
10-26-10, 01:36 PM
tdrt,,,I always imagined you in the kitchen.

tdrt
10-26-10, 01:44 PM
Hopefully not barefoot and pregnant!

Supersquishy
10-26-10, 04:24 PM
Cropduster Pilot during season, I just opened up an Aircraft Repair facility, looking for a good A&P for a few months or if anyone wants aviation maintenance experience with low pay.lol!. www.easterncarolinaaviation.com (http://www.easterncarolinaaviation.com)

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 04:29 PM
Firefighter/Paramedic and EMT Instructor at night.

Hey Lep, I am a huge military history buff, how did you get hooked up with the job at USMCHC?

Absolute DUMB luck believe it or not. Saw an article in Leatherneck, found out I lived close to the Headquarters....and sent in a resume. Just went from there LOL. Where do you live? I'll see if we have a district working near you.

jumpinjack
10-26-10, 04:41 PM
Worked the coalmines of Southeastern Utah for 15 yrs,removed asbestos for 5, rought necked a couple.. whatever it took to feed the family,now working as a Lead rampserviceman for United Airlines at Chicago O'hare unloading and loading aircraft, 12 yrs so far, I'm 60 and hoping SS is still around in 5 more yrs since United stole my pension. this getting older stuff ain't for wimps.

SlingerDun
10-26-10, 04:56 PM

Occasionally, I get to look up a Burka.I get an inaccurate fix on those coords - 26º 30' N, 54º 16' E
Even ran it past the nav-geeks at Groundspeak® and the consensus is that you're trespassing in Southern Iran right on the coast, but still Iran.. better pack up and clear the hell outta there

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 05:04 PM
'Jack, you got that right.

Big Al...you might wanna "Dii dii" LOL

Phantom Blooper
10-26-10, 05:25 PM
Oh, ya. I make meat very flavorful. I also make "fake" meat flavors -- just in case you can't get the real thing. Mouthfeel is very important. :banana:

Have any studies been conducted on enhancing the meat flavors of a human subject to bring out the mouth watering tantalizing flavors?

I have a great deal of experience being a lab rat....I will volunteer if the benefits include smörgåsbord or all you can eat.

:evilgrin:

Wyoming
10-26-10, 05:58 PM
I get an inaccurate fix on those coords - 26º 30' N, 54º 16' E
Even ran it past the nav-geeks at Groundspeak® and the consensus is that you're trespassing in Southern Iran right on the coast, but still Iran.. better pack up and clear the hell outta there

'Jack, you got that right.
Big Al...you might wanna "Dii dii" LOL

Well, I am kinda close, but some 2 miles South of Iranian water, in the Arabian Gulf.

I'll do a double check up on the navigation system up in the control room when I get back.

http://www.maersk-drilling.com/Resource.ashx?rid=152

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Name</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>MÆRSK RESILIENT</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Type</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>MSC CJ50-X100 MC, 350 ft jack-up drilling rig</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Year of construction</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>2008</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Class</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>American Bureau of Shipping</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Work area</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>Water depth up to 106 m (350 ft)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Derrick</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>64 x 14 x 14 m (210 x 45 x 45 ft)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Hull dimension</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>70 m x 68 m x 9.5 m (229 ft x 223 ft x 31 ft)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Length of legs</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>146.3 m (479 ft)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Rated water depth</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>106 m (350 ft)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Rated drilling depth</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>9,150 m (30,000 ft)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Variable load</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>Up to 4,500 t</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Cantilever reach</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>21,3 m x 14 m (70 x 46 ft)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Power supply</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>Four main generator sets with a minimum of 8,000 kW output</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Well control equipment</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>18 ¾” – 15,000 psi consisting of one annular + two double ram</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Cranes</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>Two cranes with 47.3 m (155 ft) boom, 50 mt static and 40 mt</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Cement pump</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>15,000 psi wp. (On free placement)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Hoisting equipment capacity</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>1,500,000 lbs (static hook load w top drive)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Drawworks</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>GH 4500 EG-AC with three AC motors & gears grooved for 1 3/4</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Top drive</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>Maritime Hydraulic DDM-750-AC, 680 mt capacity with pipe handler and block retract system.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Mud pumps</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>Three 2,200 hp, rated for 7,500 psi</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Bulk mud capacity</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>300 m3 (10,550 ft3)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Bulk cement capacity</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>200 m3 (7,050 ft3)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Liquid mud capacity</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>6,290 bbl (1,000 m3)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Accommodation</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>120 persons</TD></TR><TR><TD class=fleetItemHeader vAlign=top noWrap>Delivery</TD><TD class=fleetItemData>2008</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

doc h fmf
10-26-10, 06:17 PM
I Am An Lpn Working In A Nursing Home. Where I Give The Few Vets There A Little Extra Tlc

DrZ
10-26-10, 06:36 PM
Senior Engineer at a high technology electronics company for the last 30 years. Someday I will find job that will make me get off my butt and do some manual labor!

usmc987332
10-26-10, 07:42 PM
I can do better than the above. Discharged from the MC in 1946. Spent two years in Business College and began career in in the accounting field. Boo-Boo Bobby joined the Army Reserve to get a free...

USNAviator
10-26-10, 08:08 PM
After a 20 year Naval career, I was blessed to find something I truly enjoy. I teach American History on the college level. Sort of a nomad instructor since I lack a Ph.D. Right now I'm teaching a class in the history of the Marine Corps at VMI.

What a pleasure it is gentleman to enter a class room where a senior Kaydet calls attention, all stand when I enter. There are no cell phones allowed, they respond with a sir, they are all in uniform and if they had an attitude, it was checked at the door

As a personal aside, your Kate will be waiting for you Bob just as my Lorrie will be.

usmc987332
10-26-10, 08:46 PM
After a 20 year Naval career, I was blessed to find something I truly enjoy. I teach American History on the college level. Sort of a nomad instructor since I lack a Ph.D. Right now I'm teaching a class in the history of the Marine Corps at VMI.

What a pleasure it is gentleman to enter a class room where a senior Kaydet calls attention, all stand when I enter. There are no cell phones allowed, they respond with a sir, they are all in uniform and if they had an attitude, it was checked at the door

As a personal aside, your Kate will be waiting for you Bob just as my Lorrie will be.
History was a love of mine. I don't know why I did not pursue becoming a teacher of American History. I would have made a good history teacher. I dislike people who try to rewrite history, on the other hand, the effort of past hisorians to try and make the United States appear to have no faults bothers me.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 08:52 PM
'1310 and Bob...that's something I always wanted to do as well. Even considered going for a History/Teaching degree come the spring semester at my local CC....only to discover that my so called "GI Bill benefits" stopped when I left the reserves. And there ain't no way this dude can afford college. So much for that 'grand' plan LOL.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 09:17 PM
LOL. Yep. I am really uncomfortable using "USAF retired". Much prefer "USMC, Retired". After all, that's where I spent most of my life LOL

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 09:24 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I don't have the faintest idea either. Best most zoomies don't.

But I catch the same sorta crap from all my AD retired SNCO buddies too. Bastids.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-26-10, 10:08 PM
Roger.

10-29-10, 08:17 AM
Hello all, I'm an electrician for a South Florida water purveyor. Took advantage of training and education while serving and am putting it to use in the civillian sector.

DrZ
10-29-10, 08:34 AM

Dan,
Must be nice to get respected that way in your class room. I teach some of the math and physics classes at local colleges and I am lucky if they are present and if so not texting all through class. I was told NEVER again to collect and depot their phones in the sh!tcan to be collected after class. Guess I overstepped my bounds (again!) LOL.

sparkie
10-29-10, 09:21 AM
Hello all, I'm an electrician for a South Florida water purveyor. Took advantage of training and education while serving and am putting it to use in the civillian sector.

Welcome aboard.

manilalaguna29
10-29-10, 10:41 AM
12 years in the Marine corps, 29 years federal service. Retired from DHS after 41 years federal service in 2006.

USNAviator
10-29-10, 01:11 PM
Dan,
Must be nice to get respected that way in your class room. I teach some of the math and physics classes at local colleges and I am lucky if they are present and if so not texting all through class. I was told NEVER again to collect and depot their phones in the sh!tcan to be collected after class. Guess I overstepped my bounds (again!) LOL.

Larry, I've had the pleasure to teach at both VMI and The Citadel. There is nothing like the respect you get dealing with military institutions. On the other hand I've also taught at CC's and liberal art colleges where I ran into the same problems you've encountered. Cell phones are big problem. I did try telling them to turn them off, most complied but there are always a few...:mad:. And their lap tops, some of these kids are sporting $2000 Mac Books. I had a talk with a custodian last month, he told me just in the Law School they found 18 lap tops in one week that "students" left behind. Amazing

Baker1971
10-29-10, 03:08 PM
Manage a large warehouse of a well known business, here in Nashville area.....

USNAviator
10-29-10, 03:25 PM
Manage a large warehouse of a well known business, here in Nashville area.....

Baker1971

Have a good friend who lives near Vanderbilt, in the Cherokee Hills area. You anywhere near there?

Baker1971
10-29-10, 03:51 PM
Nope, other side, MOS1310.....big metro area, Davidson County.....out near The Hermitage but not quite as far.

usmc987332
10-29-10, 05:36 PM
I am just sitting here with my mouth wide open. My grandson told his Dad he had spent the day practicing first aid on live pigs. I told his dad that he was his leg pulled. This morning I checked it out on the "net." It looks like it is true. Does anyone know anything about this?

Being a country boy and used to hog killings, I don't think the things we did were related to first aid.

hbharrison
10-29-10, 07:05 PM
Bob correct on the pig deal asked a friend of mine who son is in Med school it seems the pig is the closest thing to a human as far as the insides go. Now an't that a crock. Who would have guessed that one.

usmc987332
10-29-10, 07:18 PM
Bob correct on the pig deal asked a friend of mine who son is in Med school it seems the pig is the closest thing to a human as far as the insides go. Now an't that a crock. Who would have guessed that one.

Has anyone out there been through this course with live pigs? I don't mean those human pigs we all know.:scared:

USNAviator
10-29-10, 07:25 PM
Has anyone out there been through this course with live pigs? I don't mean those human pigs we all know.:scared:

Bob

I think this is something brand new. Dave posted a link

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ach-first-aid/ (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/aug/08/1n8train002856-doomed-pigs-used-teach-first-aid/)

usmc987332
10-29-10, 07:51 PM
Bob

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ach-first-aid/ (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/aug/08/1n8train002856-doomed-pigs-used-teach-first-aid/)
Thanks, Haven't checked for a new link since I last talked to him.

bucksgted
10-29-10, 07:53 PM

Don't remember if it was prior to, during or after Mojave Viper that my nephew had to deal with live/almost live pigs prior to deploying to Afghanistan. His pig was shot - - they had it breathing and heart working ok - - SgtMaj came along shot it again - - got the pig going again - -you get the picture. He said it was VERY realistic training for battle field situation.

Do gooders don't like it, but it saves Marine lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USNAviator
10-29-10, 07:58 PM
Thanks, Haven't checked for a new link since I last talked to him.

No problem.... BTW great Jefferson quote. How true but how many do not see? Countless many unfortunately

bucksgted
10-29-10, 08:07 PM
Got all wrapped up in PIGS - - didn't say what I've been doing.

Took my early/ancient electronics training from the Corps and parlayed it into an outstanding career with HAL. Twas an easy transition from vacuum tubes and sign waves to transistors and square waves. Spent all but three of my years in management. Total time was 28 years 10 months. Moved all over the USA chasing that dream. Wow, what a ride. Good news is I didn't have the same job for those years. Changed functions approx each 2 years. Last assignment was managing Management Development. Even did some consulting on the side. It finally happened - - burn out. I retired at 51.5 years of age and have never looked back. Each month when my check hits the bank, we are even.

After I moved to NW TN, I told my accountant to declare me out of business. I had been running thru airports and living out of a suitcase for too many years. I still enjoy the occasional class work helping out at the local college, but still find it difficult dealing with folks that really don't want to be there.

"You ask what time it is and I've told you how a clock works." LMAO

usmc987332
10-29-10, 10:39 PM
Don't remember if it was prior to, during or after Mojave Viper that my nephew had to deal with live/almost live pigs prior to deploying to Afghanistan. His pig was shot - - they had it breathing and heart working ok - - SgtMaj came along shot it again - - got the pig going again - -you get the picture. He said it was VERY realistic training for battle field situation.

Do gooders don't like it, but it saves Marine lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I understand these pigs are sedated and never feel anything. Apparently the substance used to make sure the pigs do not suffer is so strong they dispose of the pigs because it is probably not safe to comsume the pigs.

usmc987332
10-29-10, 10:52 PM
Bob

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ach-first-aid/

My grandson, Chris, avows this has been his best learning experience since entering the Corps. Be sure to read the above.

Thanks Dan. That is better than the article I read.:yes:

I hope the Corps dosen't cave in to the pressure.:mad:

jp2usmc
11-05-10, 08:55 AM
Went in as a welder (MOS 1316), surprised myself by using my G.I. Bill to get my Bachelor's of Science in Physics back in 1996, then used 2 Computer Elective courses from college to land my first programming job. Today, I am a Senior Software Developer. Who would have thought?

tdrt
11-05-10, 09:04 AM
Went in as a welder (MOS 1316), surprised myself by using my G.I. Bill to get my Bachelor's of Science in Physics back in 1996, then used 2 Computer Elective courses from college to land my first programming job. Today, I am a Senior Software Developer. Who would have thought?

I know what you mean. I would have never thought in a million years I'd end up with a degree in Chemistry -- the one subject that scared the bejeebers out of me! I was only 6 credits shy of a minor in Physics but had to graduate some time.

Zulu 36
11-05-10, 01:15 PM
Bob

"Animal labs" are not uncommon in the military. When I was a paramedic (mid-1980s), I was invited to participate in a "goat lab" sponsored by the AF pararescue unit at my old Air Guard base. They were specifically going to train in tracheotomies and cricothyrotomies. Evidently goat tracheas are anatomically very similar to human tracheas.

The goats would be anesthetized by a veterinarian first, and humanely put to sleep afterward.

Unfortunately, I could not adjust my police work schedule to attend the lab. I was bummed.

jp2usmc
11-05-10, 01:31 PM
...and don't forget the documentary "Men Who Stare At Goats"

hawkins0811
11-10-10, 11:32 PM
Work at an oil refinery here in Utah luckily. Very hard to get a good paying job after being an 0811 artillery cannoneer as the "opportunities" for firing cannons in the civilian world are very limited LOL. SEMPER FI MARINES!!!!!!

olay198912
11-10-10, 11:42 PM
I'm searching the Internet.Moncler clothing (http://www.moncler-jackets6.com/)True Religion (http://www.jeans-trade.com/)

jrhd97
11-11-10, 12:55 AM
Met my wife while at Lejeune. Came back to eastern N.C when I left Oki and we married. Been in this area ever since.
Been married 13 years, separated and reconciled with two curtain climbers.
When I got out I tried turning wrenches for a bit. Decided the pay sucked and the tools cost a fortune. Tried car sales. Did very well, but couldn't stand selling people what I knew they really couldn't afford. A friend suggested insurance, so I decided what the heck. That lasted a year and I decided that I really didn't like it so I became a truck driver.
Truth be told, our marriage was so bad I just wanted away from the woman. The job actually saved the marriage. After several years of long haul I landed a job with an international company that has a terminal near home that allows me to be home just about every day, or night. Been here 4 1/2 years. The move has been great for the family having dad around. It has also allowed me to get 2 1/2 years of ministry school in and serve in multiple areas in our church.
If it wasn't for the Corps, I never would of gotten out of western PA.

Marine1011
11-14-10, 09:00 AM
Just about ready to take early retirement

GSEMarine94
11-14-10, 06:28 PM
After the Corps I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic while using my GI bill to get a degree in architecture.
Laid off 3 years ago, decided to get back into the military, (National Guard) as an officer this time.
Just left a temp job working as a mechanic again, so I could spend some time with the family before my all expense paid trip to sunny Afghanastan.

FormerMSG
11-14-10, 06:31 PM
Just finished this program:

www.pmf.gov

Now I am a GS-12, Department of the Navy

tgwkreu7
11-14-10, 07:50 PM
i am picking fly schitt off of the fly paper in the bakery shop

AAV Crewchief
11-14-10, 11:35 PM
High school special education teacher and AF reservist currently deployed.

Phantom Blooper
11-15-10, 06:46 AM
What are you doing now.

Sitting here reading....dat's what I'm doing now....

Don't know what I'll be doing later.

:evilgrin:

awbrown1462
11-15-10, 07:03 AM
I work for the Dept of the Army at Ft. Knox now wife and I are on a 5 year plan to retire have 4 years to go will move to NC then

advanced
11-23-10, 09:22 AM
I hadn't looked at this thread before, but this morning I read through the whole thing. To start off with since the Nam I've had one hell of a ride. <br />
<br />
After my discharge I used my Vietnam...

dhuntington
11-23-10, 09:33 AM
I also am a corrections officer. I've been doing that for 17 years now. I'm also the prison armorer and an instructor. Until recently, I was also a CERT member and chemical munitions specialist.

Gy7ras
11-23-10, 11:06 AM
I'm fully retired but do a lot of volunteer work to stay busy.

:D

Sgt Leprechaun
11-23-10, 05:42 PM
Advanced, what a GREAT story!!!! Thanks for sharing that one.

v/r
Lep

mcvet57103
11-29-10, 07:18 AM
Can't remember if I posted to this thread already but here goes.

After the Marines, I went to Vo-Tech for auto-mechanics on the GI bill. Spent one year as a wrench. Realized that being a Mechanic for someone else only made them rich. Didn't have the money to start my own shop so I started driving OTR trucks like my Mom & Dad did as a team. First wife and I divorced because she cheated on me while I was on the road. Quit my job, and bummed off relatives for a year.

Then tried sewing machine repair. Made the mistake of asking out a woman at work who was dating the married manager on the sly. That ended that.

Went back into OTR trucking. Had a boss who thoughht a weekend at home was Saturday afternoon till Sunday afternoon. Had to run two log books to stay legal when stopped by DOT. Got burned out on that job after my dispatcher lied to me one to many times, and I told them where to put their job.

Bummed off relatives again for about a year, While going to Business Management at the local Technical College. Then tried retail management for a year. I guess my Marine bull-headedness got me into trouble because I can't seem to tolerate stupid, or inconsiderate people. Pizzed off the district manager and he had me fired.

Then got a job as a Machine Operator for a packaging company for 5 years. That went away after a battle of wills with the new plant manager.

In the middle of all this I managed to get Married, and divorced twice more.

Back to OTR trucking for 14 years, met my current Wife, then found a job as a Redi-mix concrete truck driver. Finally found my nitch (sp). Been doing that for 10 years now. I get to see the area grow and change, and am a part of it. Leaving a legacy in poured concrete all around a three county area. Whenever possible I flip a penny into the mixture. Then I can truly say I have money in this or that building. LOL I must have money in several hundred places by now. LOL Redi-mix is rewarding, but if you don't like getting muddy, wet, and sweaty it aint for you. Have finally reached that point in life where I make enough so I can afford to take winter layoff and stay warm. SF

advanced
11-29-10, 08:21 AM
mcvet - Enjoyed your story, glad you finally found your happy place.

herkybirdRO
11-30-10, 10:31 AM
After getting out of the Corps in 1974,I used the GI Bill to attend 4 years of electrical apprenticeship in Houston. Worked for various contractors in the area before starting my own company. That went belly up in the oil crash in 1988,so hit the road for work,ended up seeing a lot of the country while making a living. Retired early after 4 back surgeries,and have been absolutely enjoying life with my 3rd wife. We live full-time in a 34 foot motorhome,spend the summers in Michigan,and the winters in Texas and Florida. Got no money,but we stay warm all year! Also nice 'cause I love ridin' my Harley!! Couldn't have done any of this without the attitude the Marine Corps instilled in me. Semper Fi!!

Ramadi01
11-30-10, 10:43 AM
Still in the Corps about to pick up e5, filling out a packet for MARSOC

R Landry
11-30-10, 11:12 AM
Retired now. Just ordered a wood frame for a Jon Lodi poster of the Las Rambla in Barcelona. Going to the YMCA this afternoon. May attend a board meeting of my Rotary Club this evening.

Muhreen4Lyfe
11-30-10, 12:38 PM
fapping

Wood5831
12-08-10, 09:47 PM
Hmmmm....

Dept of Army Police Sergeant 04-Present

I applied for the Dept of Army Police. Thought I was a solid fit. I gave them my military resume showing my duties as a MSG w/ a TS clearance and a Corrections background in the Corps. Also I was in the Army Reserves as a MP and completed MP School w/ a secret clearance. Even gave them POC's to my old Command as references. Of course i got this from them " Your resume did not reflect the highly qualifying criteria the selecting official identified as necessary for successful performance in the position."

Right now I am unemployed and waiting to hear back from Northrup Grumman and also putting in a packet to get back into the Marine reserves and then hopefully go back Active Duty.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-10-10, 06:32 PM
I'm not surprised. Unless your resume reflected....EXACTLY the wording in the hiring announcement....it won't make it through no matter WHAT you did/have done. Likely it was never even SEEN by a human being, the computer didn't find 'key words' it needed, so it got dumped and you got the standard rejection message.

What can I say, it's the army. Totally and completely jacked up.

Wood5831
12-10-10, 08:46 PM
I'm not surprised. Unless your resume reflected....EXACTLY the wording in the hiring announcement....it won't make it through no matter WHAT you did/have done. Likely it was never even SEEN by a human being, the computer didn't find 'key words' it needed, so it got dumped and you got the standard rejection message.

What can I say, it's the army. Totally and completely jacked up.

ha ha ha. I spoke with one of my former Soldiers I trained in MP OSUT who now works for the Dept of Army Police today and you just said the exact same thing she did.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-10-10, 09:05 PM
Yeah...sux but it's true.

Wood5831
12-10-10, 09:09 PM
I was shocked at how fast it came back denied and the first thing I said was I bet no human being looked at that resume..lol.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-10-10, 09:26 PM
And you were correct! IF you do another one, write yours direct from the job announcement. Including mis-spellings and wrong words. Stupid, but no human sees it, really, so it doesn't matter.

Wood5831
12-10-10, 10:57 PM
Ha ha ha. Will do.

tracs2142
12-11-10, 07:00 PM
Got out of the Corps, went out to the power plant complex with a high school buddy of mine who said I could talk to his boss about a job. Funny, when he first met me, he said my buddy told him I had just got out of the military...he then asked what branch, I told him "Sir, just got out of the Marine Corps"...he replied "You're hired" and told my buddy to find me something to do.

Worked my way from power plant laborer to nuclear plant operations, then fossil operations, now back at nuclear as a Work Week Manager (basically coordinates all plant maintenance, schedules for repairs, surveillance/testing, risk analysis, etc).

Another funny story...we had a meet and greet with a new plant manager years ago when I was in nuclear operations. We all sat around a conference table giving a basic description of background. Realize, I'm the only Marine in a department of ex-Navy nuclear guys/gals. The questions got around to me, I stated I was a former Marine. He laughed and asked "how did you sneak in here"! One of the guys on my shift replied "we don't know, but we're glad he did!". I told him I was there to make sure everyone did their jobs to standards:-)

tgwkreu7
12-11-10, 08:19 PM
for me i am picking fly schitt off of fly paper never a dull monent here

chiefw2
12-11-10, 08:35 PM
Working for one of the local phone companies Qwest communications in Denver, was a radio operator in the Corps. All that training paid off. Retired Warrant officer.

tracs2142
12-12-10, 08:23 AM
Reading above...as far as resume' goes...my company's processes use the same method via computer/recruiter. You have to write the resume' based on the hiring announcement and use words/phrases accordingly wherever possible to get the best results. Unless, you can find someone on the inside to ensure your resume' gets onto someone's desk.

radio relay
01-26-11, 07:17 AM
Semi-retired ... Still working part time as a phone support tech for a little internet service provider.

After spending over forty years working on the latest, and the biggest electronic, communication, and data systems for the likes of the USMC, IBM, US Navy, US Air Force, Sun Microsystems, and others, in places like Thailand, Saudi Arabia, and Greenland, among others, I'm now helping little old ladies figure out their email .... How the mighty have fallen ...
:banana: :) :banana:

advanced
01-26-11, 07:23 AM
Semi-retired ... Still working part time as a phone support tech for a little internet service provider.

After spending over forty years working on the latest, and the biggest electronic, communication, and data systems for the likes of the USMC, IBM, US Navy, US Air Force, Sun Microsystems, and others, in places like Thailand, Saudi Arabia, and Greenland, among others, I'm now helping little old ladies figure out their email .... How the mighty have fallen ...
:banana: :) :banana:

Good for you, now you're doing something worthwhile.

KevinR
01-26-11, 08:12 AM
I am an Operations Manager/Firearms instructor for an Armored Car company. Been doing this 6 years. Started on the trucks, and worked my way up the chain.

radio relay
01-26-11, 12:23 PM
Good for you, now you're doing something worthwhile.

Ha Ha ... yes

Rooger
01-26-11, 12:37 PM
Lead test and repair Tech for Mitsubishi electric power products...Test and repair power phase modules for LIRR and metro north...also for EMD (Electro motive Diesel).

ELLIOTT813
01-26-11, 04:59 PM
Was a cop in New Orleans, retired out as a Seregant. Went into casino work and was a director of security for a major Las Vegas company. Worked as such throughout the country. Now fully retired.

0351 Corporal
01-26-11, 05:05 PM
Physicist. Teaching high school, and special lecturing at colleges; had to bust my ass to go from 0351 to physicist, but it was well worth it. :marine:

jp2usmc
01-26-11, 05:57 PM
Physicist. Teaching high school, and special lecturing at colleges; had to bust my ass to go from 0351 to physicist, but it was well worth it. :marine:

Dude! Same here! I got my B.S. in Physics back in 1996. Today, I work as a Sr. Software Developer.

What a life change, huh?

http://www.jp2code.net/

0351 Corporal
01-26-11, 06:09 PM
Dude! Same here! I got my B.S. in Physics back in 1996. Today, I work as a Sr. Software Developer.

What a life change, huh?

http://www.jp2code.net/

Yea, huge life change lol. One day while I was majoring in biology I took a physics course, and everything clicked. I immediately knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. My strong physics subject is Quantum Mechanics, but lately I've been really focusing on particle physics (which of course is alot of Quantum Physics). Its good to know I'm not the only science geek on this site lol. I'm going to try to get my masters and then PhD, and one day make the great pilgrimage to CERN's Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland and France.

jp2usmc
01-26-11, 06:24 PM
While an Undergrad at the University of Texas at Arlington, I had a Research Assistantship (RA) with the High Energy Physics group doing some testing for the D0 experiment up at Fermi National Lab.

I took one year of grad school, and thought I'd get the hardest courses out of the way first. That just killed me. It was way too much work, and I decided I really didn't want to spend any more time solving the same basic problems ... only this time we ventured OFF the axis!

Amazingly, 2 electives in computer science has turned into a very good career! :)

0351 Corporal
01-26-11, 07:00 PM
While an Undergrad at the University of Texas at Arlington, I had a Research Assistantship (RA) with the High Energy Physics group doing some testing for the D0 experiment up at Fermi National Lab.

I took one year of grad school, and thought I'd get the hardest courses out of the way first. That just killed me. It was way too much work, and I decided I really didn't want to spend any more time solving the same basic problems ... only this time we ventured OFF the axis!

Amazingly, 2 electives in computer science has turned into a very good career! :)

Lol, I hear you on the not wanting to solve the same basic problems over and over again, Its almost as if you have to walk through fire until you achieve a PhD before anyone even considers giving you any type of funding. Fermi gets alot of funding.

tgwkreu7
01-26-11, 08:08 PM
i am picking fly schitt from fly paper

radio relay
01-27-11, 06:10 AM
Lol, I hear you on the not wanting to solve the same basic problems over and over again, Its almost as if you have to walk through fire until you achieve a PhD before anyone even considers giving you any type of funding. Fermi gets alot of funding.
From Grunt to genius ... and ... demigods of science, too ... who'd a thunk it? :p

silverdollar
01-27-11, 07:35 AM
i am picking fly schitt from fly paper

Thats not so bad, I have a fly schitt job too, but I have to pick it out of pepper.:(

triplethreat459
02-18-11, 12:11 PM
I was a Career Planner till I retired in '06. Now, I work in Human Resources for the VA.

hypnotist
02-23-11, 01:01 PM
Retired after 25 years as an elementary School Teacher . Was Police officer before that with the rank of Lt. retired now and still ride Harley daily.. Simper Fi.

mcvet57103
02-23-11, 02:21 PM
Retired after 25 years as an elementary School Teacher . Was Police officer before that with the rank of Lt. retired now and still ride Harley daily.. Simper Fi.Question,

As a Biker do you wear all the gear, leathers, boots, bandanna, beard, etc etc? If so, being a ex-cop, do you feel you are profiled at all? Just askin. SF

jp2usmc
02-23-11, 02:44 PM
I wear safety gear (helmet, textile jacket, gloves, steel toe boots), but I don't otherwise care for the "motorcycle rider costume" or the whole "Look At Me! I'm a Harley Rider!" image.

hypnotist
02-23-11, 02:50 PM
I wear a helmet I do have a leather jacket for cold weather .. I have a leather vest with the Globe and anchor on the back with the script ... "Any Punk Can Wear Your Patch" .... "ONLY A FEW MEN CAN WEAR THIS ONE" I am clean shaven and wear my hair short not quite as short as when I was in the Corps,
I refuse to be type cast as a gangster I ride alone .

jp2usmc
02-23-11, 03:09 PM
I ride alone.

+1 - Oh yeah! Always!

hypnotist
02-23-11, 03:25 PM
was in USMC from 1957 to 1961 and am now 74 b'day last Sat 2/19 so don't have time to mess with the motor cycle gang image or foolishness.. willl ride till I die ... have 04 hd sportster 1200.....

jp2usmc
02-23-11, 03:43 PM
was in USMC from 1957 to 1961 and am now 74 b'day last Sat 2/19 so don't have time to mess with the motor cycle gang image or foolishness.. willl ride till I die ... have 04 hd sportster 1200.....

Well, Happy Birthday - ya old fart! :)

Personally, I'd rather die an old man in a motorcycle accident than an old man in a 'home'.

mcvet57103
02-23-11, 05:05 PM
I was just curious if he got harrassed being a former cop and looking like a out-law biker. That seems to be the garb of choice for most Harley riders around these parts. But if you don't look like an out-law I suppose cops look at you like any other Cycle rider. Personally I rode Goldwings when I had a bike. But gave it up when I realized I was making paymrnts and paying Ins. on a Motorcycle I only rode a few days a year. Kinda miss it a little though, and have maintained my Motorcycle license just in case. SF

hypnotist
02-23-11, 06:40 PM
Well I live in New Mexico where the winters are mild and the summers hot so i get to ride often and the population here is sparse so road trips are not traffic cluttered ... guess living inthis area has its advantages... Goldwings are nice you ought to get another and relocate ..:evilgrin:

Brianhipwell
03-16-11, 07:56 PM
If I told you, I'd have to kill you......He He
HIP

Tennessee Top
03-16-11, 11:15 PM
Retired from the USMC in 1995

Currently, Respiratory Therapist, University of Tennesse Medical Center, Knoxville, TN (will retire from the state of TN on June 1st 2013...not that I'm counting).

Brianhipwell
03-17-11, 07:17 PM
Well, I'm wearing safety googles. a leather apron, industrial gloves, steel toed boots, and a safety helmet while masturbating. You can't be too careful!!

tracs1833
03-17-11, 09:38 PM
I was a Territorial Manager (read as Outside Salesman) for a steel company. I had worked in that business for about 25 years or so. My wife passed away from cancer in 2006 and after that, my heart just wasn't in my job any longer. The final push was finding out about 18 months ago that I have cancer also. My finances allowed it, so I retired a year ago last February. Going to take some time to smell the roses as they say. As far as what I am doing, it's simple. I now do what I want, when I want!!

Silentwarrior17
03-17-11, 11:05 PM
I was a Territorial Manager (read as Outside Salesman) for a steel company. I had worked in that business for about 25 years or so. My wife passed away from cancer in 2006 and after that, my heart just wasn't in my job any longer. The final push was finding out about 18 months ago that I have cancer also. My finances allowed it, so I retired a year ago last February. Going to take some time to smell the roses as they say. As far as what I am doing, it's simple. I now do what I want, when I want!!

Good luck to you brother, we are pulling for you. S/F

hypnotist
03-17-11, 11:46 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I am sure that losing a spouse is a traumatic experience. And then to find that you also are at risk... Well you will be in my prayers... If in your travels you ever come through the fine state of New Mexico give me a call ... we might swap tales over a cup of coffee.

tracs1833
03-18-11, 01:02 AM
Thanks, Marines. Yeah, losing my wife to breast cancer (she was only 47) was and still is tough. As for my situation, I'm doing great. I learned a long time ago that you have to play the cards you're dealt. No sense in worrying about something that you have no control over.

Silentwarrior17
03-18-11, 01:39 AM
I am glad that you are in such high spirits. I am still sorry to hear that you lost your wife at such a young age. I will hope and pray for nothing but the best for you. I hope the rest of your days bring you peace, and that they may be magnificent. May God bless you in everything that you do.

The only thing I ask of you is this...never hesitate to ask for anything. If you need something, Either I, or another Marine on this site will be more than willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen.

S/F Brother and Peace be with you.

BreezyRogers90
03-20-11, 11:18 PM
Its more liek what i just did....a little while ago..... TAps sounds n me and the several seabees around me all stand and pay our respects for the fallen and these air force guys come out their barracks so i yell "TAPS!" they look at me and just keep friken walking. soon as the last note ends i yell carry on and hunt them down and give 'em a good old fashion marine corps a$$ chewing for how nasty and disrespectful they are. its was liek something outta boot man they didnt know what hit 'em. lol

Covey_Rider
03-21-11, 12:11 AM
Overseas Contractor.

Mike Sanford
04-16-11, 12:05 AM
Declared disabled 2001 Service Connected 100%.

YLDNDN6
05-07-11, 08:55 AM
I make ****e that kills ****e...I'm a chemical operator for a major chemical company.

jwilcox27
05-07-11, 12:27 PM
Still in the reserves, trying to go active duty and lat move to 0211. However the whole augment to active duty thing has been going on for 3 months and haven't heard anything back yet. Hoping to find out more at drill next weekend.

Causby
05-07-11, 06:22 PM
Correctional Officer with NC DOC. I work with a co/op with the NC Forestry. We have a program called B.R.I.D.G.E. where we take 18-24 year old inmates and teach them wildland fire fighting. We give them classes on Fire weather, fire behavior, and chain-saws. Its a great program and I get alot of satisfaction in teaching street thugs some core values, then seeing some of them change into self-respecting young men.

tgwkreu7
05-07-11, 07:04 PM
i have a steady job and it is mainly summertime work
i work in a hot factory and i was assigned to pick fly schitt off of sticky flypaper business booms in the hot summer time

silverdollar
05-08-11, 05:59 AM
Correctional Officer with NC DOC. I work with a co/op with the NC Forestry. We have a program called B.R.I.D.G.E. where we take 18-24 year old inmates and teach them wildland fire fighting. We give them classes on Fire weather, fire behavior, and chain-saws. Its a great program and I get alot of satisfaction in teaching street thugs some core values, then seeing some of them change into self-respecting young men.

Sounds Great, Street thugs with chainsaws.:D

RonaldOverby
05-11-11, 10:33 AM
I work for the Chalmers P. Wylie Ambulatory Care Center (Veterans Affairs) In Columbus Ohio as a Medical Support Assistant.. Great Job and its and Important Job

LLN2111
05-13-11, 10:43 PM
I currently work in the Nuclear Security industry and have been doing this for nearly 15 years now. I am so grateful to have such an awesome job and one that I enjoy doing as well!

SuicideTaz
05-16-11, 12:51 AM
Corrections Officer for the last 15 yrs. Can go another 6 years or 13. Don't know yet. But I am sure we will never run out of inmates.

linhely
05-16-11, 03:14 AM
I am blessed by having to work hard for a living.Just do it,you can.

peterpan0105
05-24-11, 04:29 AM
I work for the Department of Veteran Affairs in Philadelphia.

USMC-SSGT
06-01-11, 08:33 AM
I fly for an airline based in Newark NJ.

Apache
06-01-11, 09:43 AM
Retired
41 years on the front lines for a local company
Mustang
started as locker washer/rehab finished as national transportation Mgr

DOT regs---

dmetier
06-13-11, 09:37 PM
right after I got out of Marines, was a Police Officer, Deputy Sheriff, Management Trainee at J. C. Penney, Ambulance Attendant, then started own Ambulance Service, Medical Supply Business, Oxegyn Supply Business, Owned a Bar & Cafe, Sold Cars, then Banking World for 30 years, downsized at the ripe age of 64, now driving truck, Marine Corps taught me well, learned to survive and have a good time doing it.

Sgt0811
06-13-11, 10:07 PM
Was a police officer for 23.5 yrs. for hometown of Millville, NJ. After purchasing 2 yrs Marine time retired with my full 25 yrs. That was in 1992. Worked two yrs in hospital security. 10 yrs as a Private Detective. 2001 became disabled vet @ 20% within 18 months was @ 100%.
2006 my daughter(35) and two grandchildren, 1 12 and the other 6, were murdered by her husband of 36 days. Taking it day by day.

dmetier
06-13-11, 10:14 PM
not a praying man but, I am praying for you bother

Sgt0811
06-13-11, 10:40 PM
I'm not much of a praying man myself. Two things helped me. 1 the SOB killed himself afterward and 2 when I asked a County Detective (A former NJ State Trooper and personal friend a very short question, With what and where, he answered with two words. Shotgun and head. I thanked God that they did not suffer. They were asleep when it happen. I knew all the Millville Police Officers and Detectives that were there as I had worked with them before I retired. The Chief assigned a Sgt to transport my wife and I to the scene from the County Court House and to stay with us until we were ready to go home. My daughter was known to most of the Police Officers too.
Thank you for your prayers. My Marine Corps training and Police training helped me thru this also.

LLN2111
06-16-11, 05:51 PM
SGT I am so sorry to hear of your loss...peace, love, and light to you.

Sgt0811
06-16-11, 08:48 PM
Friday 17 June 2011 my granddaughter, Lauren, will graduate from High School. At the graduation Scotty, my grandson, will be honored by the school. A cap and grown will be presented to his sister, Amanda. He would have graduated along with his cousin Lauren. She was 8 days older then him. I thought it was great that the school remembered him after 5 years.

0231Marine
06-17-11, 05:57 AM
Currently serving as the Senior Intelligence Officer for United States Forces-Iraq, Personnel Recovery Division. Easily the most rewarding job I've ever had, being a part of a team responsible for finding our missing military members and American citizens and bringing them home.

ssgtblue
06-20-11, 02:50 PM
Still running and gunning in Iraq even after I got out of the green machine. Love my job hear.

jp2usmc
06-20-11, 04:04 PM
Sounds like a blast, ssgtblue. How'd you land that gig?

Sgt Leprechaun
06-20-11, 05:01 PM
Currently serving as the Senior Intelligence Officer for United States Forces-Iraq, Personnel Recovery Division. Easily the most rewarding job I've ever had, being a part of a team responsible for finding our missing military members and American citizens and bringing them home.

Wish I could be so lucky to have a good job like that. Mine sux LOL. Hate going to work at the fulltime joke I do....luckily the part time job makes up for it. Consider yourself a lucky man my friend!

nickkhun23
06-20-11, 09:05 PM
miss honey :-s

0231Marine
06-21-11, 12:39 PM
Wish I could be so lucky to have a good job like that. Mine sux LOL. Hate going to work at the fulltime joke I do....luckily the part time job makes up for it. Consider yourself a lucky man my friend!

Believe me, I wake up every morning knowing I lucked out!

SSgtBlue...where are you at in Iraq?

Marine84
06-21-11, 07:39 PM
I've had 3 jobs since I got out of the Corps. First one, I was a Project Coordinator at Emerson Computer Parts (this was back when they made these HUGE battery units for computers) in Santa Ana, CA.

Moved back to the East coast and went to work for Olan Mills (photgraphy - I made appointments for folks to come in and be photographed). Stayed with them for 9 years and transferred to GA only to eventually get downsized out.

Been in GA for 18 years. After Olan Mills, I got THE best job I could have ever landed and I've been with them for 12 years. I'm a Receptionist/AP Clerk for a construction company.

doc h fmf
06-21-11, 08:38 PM
I BEEN UNEMPLOYED LAST 4MONTHS survived a car accident that totaled my car other drivers fault only reason iam here is because of my safty belt and my wife is divorcing me after 10yrs she said cant take the stree after a crummy year. BUT HEY THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE WORSE OFF THEN I AM . I KNOW GOD IS WATCHING OVER ME. I LOVE MY LIFE SUCH A SOAP OPERA.

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

jp2usmc
06-22-11, 08:08 AM
After Olan Mills, I got THE best job I could have ever landed and I've been with them for 12 years. I'm a Receptionist/AP Clerk for a construction company.

Really? Are you female?

I just can't see many men bubbling over with testosterone being happy as a receptionist.

Marine84
06-22-11, 07:25 PM
Well! Nothing gets past you Enstein!

jp2usmc
06-22-11, 07:45 PM
Always funny when someone tries to be smart and misspells Einstein's name.

tgwkreu7
06-22-11, 08:13 PM
I Am Beating Farts Out Of The Shirt Tails At A Dry Cleaner

Minderbinder
06-22-11, 11:12 PM
Chillaxin' on the couch after teaching tourists to dive.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-24-11, 05:05 PM
Actually if I could get a skate gig like that and escape my current shivthole I'd take it in a heartbeat. So word to the wise...knock it off JP or you'll find out who has the most testoserone around HERE.

jp2usmc
06-25-11, 09:17 AM
YES SIR! ...or YES MA'AM! (whichever applies)

:cool:

AAV Crewchief
06-25-11, 11:28 AM
High School Teacher - Special Ed and Social Studies

Air Force Reserve Master Sergeant with the 919th SOW.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-25-11, 06:14 PM
AAV you are a better man than I for teaching Special Ed. My hat's off to you for that.

JP...smartazz....LOL.

ggyoung
06-25-11, 06:23 PM
Fighting with my oldest daughter and wife. I am losing big time.

TMM54
06-25-11, 09:22 PM
I get to help patients everyday and nothing is better than helping someone get out of pain. I graduate from Cleveland Chiropractic College in December and get my license to practice in Missouri after that. I got a great friend with a beautiful clinic to practice in, and the Lord has answered all of my prayers for my personal success so far. I keep praying for the safety of our Marines (and other services as well) every day. What could be better than this? Oh, I have a great woman also. Semper Fi, Tom

Warbyrd13
06-25-11, 11:15 PM
High School Teacher - Special Ed and Social Studies

Air Force Reserve Master Sergeant with the 919th SOW.
Dude much respect for a teacher an a special ED teacher. Its a hard job normaly but it becomes harder for kids with special needs.

Warbyrd13
06-25-11, 11:18 PM
I work for the (Devil) Power Utilty Company as a Transmission Dispatcher. Getting ready to go for another promotion/pay raise test.

So I am hopping that congress can slap some sense into the EPA morons so maybe in the future no one has to worry about rolling black outs an other power stablity problems.

It is an intersting job an when I am having a bad day then that means people do not have power.

Doc Monty
06-29-11, 06:15 PM
After getting out of the service, I went and spent about 20 years working on an ambulance and a 911 center for Pinellas County Flordia. I "retired" to the Savannah, GA area and now work as a Communitcation Officer for Effingham County.

hitechluddite
07-01-11, 08:38 PM
My current job did not exist before 9/11. NO, I'm not TSA but I work with them every day. I could tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you! :-D

BetioBastard
07-04-11, 11:53 PM
I work for the GIBill! Getting a B.S. hoping to go back in and fly. Probably Coast Gaurd cause I don't want to deploy anymore and am now living the married life. I know that the Corps and marraige don't work that well.

Zulu 36
07-05-11, 01:25 PM
Maybe the Coast Guard to avoid deployment? Hahahaha. You haven't done your homework. If you get on a high endurance cutter, you'll be at sea away from homeport for three - four months. Yes, cutters...

USMC-SSGT
07-07-11, 09:31 AM
I work for the GIBill! Getting a B.S. hoping to go back in and fly. Probably Coast Gaurd cause I don't want to deploy anymore and am now living the married life. I know that the Corps and marraige don't work that well.

Sounds like a good plan. Any flying questions you may have feel free to send me a message. I used my GI bill to get all my ratings while I was still in. I got a flight instructing job right out of the Corps and was working for a regional airline 10 months later.

I am now a captain at my airline as well as flying contract on a Cessna Citation. The job is not for everyone but it has more ups than downs for me.

William Hardy
07-07-11, 09:43 AM
Since I left the Corps I became a teacher and just retired last month. Spent most of that time serving in the Army National Guard (no local Marine units), served a tour in Iraq in 2006 and retired from military life in 2008. Now I am job hunting for another career for the next 5 to 10 years. Gotta keep busy!

BetioBastard
07-07-11, 11:38 PM
I went on a coast guard forum and asked the officers on the aviation side of it. I was told deployments were usually either a few days or at max a few weeks. They all validated what you said but it...

USMC-SSGT
07-08-11, 05:40 AM
My brother in law is on the rotary wing side of the CG on the Dolphin going on 9 years now. Combined total time away from home (not counting training) is less than 7 months I believe. He is working off the back of a cutter as we speak with his helicopter. It is his longest tour yet at I believe two months and its to the desolate land of the Caribbean. This will be his only tour he has done in the last 4 years. There was supposed to be a few others but they canceled prior.

Kilgore Trout
07-09-11, 08:09 PM
Got out a Sgt in 2006. Graduated college in 2010. Have spent the last year underemployed working part time in retail and trying to find a "foot in the door" job to start a career.

jp2usmc
07-10-11, 12:20 PM
@Kilgore Trout: Kindly update your profile with your location and state what your degree was in. Something could always pan out for you here.

Danno77
07-10-11, 01:25 PM
Electrical Engineer: Electronic Circuit design, Automotive safety applications. Airbag controllers, Side impact sensor, side impact pressure sensors. I worked in the defense industry for 6 years prior to entering the automotive industry. In the defense industry my area of expertise was Missile Inertial guidance and and Aircraft Inertial Navigation, I also did a couple of years at one company designing test equipement for sonobuoys.
I must say that I would have never entered this field or had this career without my experience in the Marine Corps. Which set me down the path of a career in electronics. I used the G.I. Bill to get a BS in Electical Engineering after my tour of service, after graduating in 86, I entered the defense electonics industry. I saw the defense industry as an extension of my military service in different form (far better paying, and in a very abstract way it was sort of like being an officer). Due to the state of defense electronics industry in 92 and for financial survival I entered the commercial automotive electronics industry. I always regret leaving the defense industry, although there wasn't that much choice at the time.
I always felt that I got much more out of the Marine Corps then they got out of me.

Semper Fi

SGTTru
07-11-11, 04:07 AM
Now that I'm finally retired after 21+ years of total USMC/Army Guard time, I'm attending the local community college, using the GI Bill, trying to figure out what I wanna be when I grow up! :D

Hoping to nail down a Public Management degree through Northern Arizona University, and pick up a decent paying managerial position in the Phoenix metro area...

Just joined this site a few hours ago, wish I'd known about it years ago! :D

Semper Fi, all! :usmc:

William Hardy
07-11-11, 06:39 AM
Now that I'm finally retired after 21+ years of total USMC/Army Guard time, I'm attending the local community college, using the GI Bill, trying to figure out what I wanna be when I grow up! :D

Hoping to nail down a Public Management degree through Northern Arizona University, and pick up a decent paying managerial position in the Phoenix metro area...

Just joined this site a few hours ago, wish I'd known about it years ago! :D

Semper Fi, all! :usmc:

Welcome - you are invited to join Morning Zephyr. We are a group of Marines and Docs who stop by often to say Good Morning and sometimes to chat. We have a WWII Marine Raider, and work our way to the younger Marines. Lots of nice people there. Come visit. We also have Evening Zephyr if you prefer or you can join in both (most do).

Gunny H

blockhead5
07-21-11, 10:13 AM
Got out June of 77. Drifted around for a few years and ended up working for a small family owned ready-mix concrete company. Well after 30+ years I'm still here and manage the concrete block plant for them. I'm good for another 6 to 10 years then I"ll be ready to retire under a shade tree somewhere.

bpatk
07-22-11, 07:09 PM
Truck Driver into seven states and three provinces. Did the 49 state by 10 provine thing for 10 years. This is far better. Never did use my GI Bill...hell of a waste on my part.

jagger
07-23-11, 05:54 PM
I am a nurse anesthetist. Put people to sleep for surgery but do a lot of Obstetrics...placing epidurals for a near painless labor and delivery experience.

mkgal715
07-26-11, 09:12 AM
Hey everybody, I work at a university as the Coordinator of Student Employment. I've been here for ten years but in this position only for two. Before that, I spent 10 years working at a private school in the DC area (my hometown). And before that, I spent 10 years working for the greatest fighting force on Earth, the United States Marine Corps; until running in boots turned my knees into a breakfast cereal - snap, crackle, pop!

Sin
07-26-11, 09:20 AM
Logistics Management Specialist w/ Navair.

Not sure if I hate it yet or not. It was offered and the path is great considering the economy.

Infantry to a cubicle. >.< F- my life.

Sgt Tig
08-04-11, 12:03 PM
Got out in 05', used the GI Bill to go to a tech school. Was a diesel and auto tech for an oil field company for 3 years, but 2 years ago moved over to the electronics side of the company. Its pretty easy when things are going well, but when equipment gets a mind of its own it can be hell.

airwinghma
08-04-11, 09:20 PM
Been working in the Plastics injection molding field for the last 16 years. I am currently unemployed but have had two interviews in the past week at the same CO and have been told they have one of three jobs for me and will get back when they figure it out.

Scott

jp2usmc
08-04-11, 09:53 PM
@Scott: Crappy economy. You might want to go out and tell them you'd take one of the other jobs if the preferred jig doesn't pan out.

airwinghma
08-06-11, 04:50 PM
I have had two interviews with a local company and was told last Tuesday that they have one of three jobs for me. I am waiting for them to let me know.
Shift supervisor
Maintenance PM tech
team lead in the sidle dept
Maintenance PM tech for @2 months and then Shift super

Scott

Ray Merrell
08-06-11, 05:23 PM
After my years in WW II service, I worked in a Locker Plant for two years, then became Manager of a Locker Plant and MFA Elevator Grain & Feed Co. , when tired of the long hours I then became Meat Department Manager for a United Super Market. After retiring from that I sold real estate for Centry 21 for ten years - before retireing again. I now have rental houses to keep me busy.

Gung Ho,

Ray

jp2usmc
08-07-11, 02:38 PM
I have had two interviews with a local company and was told last Tuesday that they have one of three jobs for me.

It's been a week? I'd suggest calling them back the first chance you get to tell them how much you liked the sound of the job, the things the company did, and how you'd love to become part of their organization.

It may sound like brown nosing, but that's only because it is. After you are in, do whatever you do. Getting in the door is your main objective at this point.

airwinghma
08-11-11, 12:37 PM
Job offer today maint tech woohoo

:banana::yes::no:

jp2usmc
08-11-11, 12:56 PM
Congratulations!

sempidr
08-24-11, 04:52 PM
Got out of the Corps in Jan, 70 at Treasure Island, CA., after spending 3 months at Oak Knoll Hospital. Accidentally wound up working in the retail grocery business for 8 years, before having an accident in one store that aggravated a knee injury from Nam.
Went to school, and ended up working in product development in Silicon Valley. This went well until 2009, when I had to have that knee replaced.
Been unemployed since. It's tough in the job market, but tougher if your over
60, (even over 40 these days).

One day at a time.
Ever forward.
Sempidr

Riverdog
08-25-11, 07:15 AM
USMC '67-'70 Got out, bounced around for a few years, got into electrical work. Thinking about retiring but I like my job and don't want to lose the income. First grandchild coming this week!

Semper Fi

pocatellodave
09-07-11, 07:49 AM
Worked law enforcement for a few years.Then I carried mail for twenty years.Retired,and I'm not good at it!
Semper Fi

Flyfish99
10-03-11, 11:03 AM
Retired . Work a little , fish a little , hike some and read quite a bit .

jp2usmc
10-03-11, 11:26 AM
Retired. Work a little, fish a little, hike some and read quite a bit.

That sounds pretty good!

tgwkreu7
10-03-11, 04:29 PM
right now i work in a laundry beating farts out of shirt tails it gets a little hot and smelly but it's a joo

kbay0351
10-25-11, 01:39 PM
Aerospace engineer for 10 years now. Got out of corps in '96, used GI bill to get bachelors in aeronautical & astronautical engineering. Really enjoy reading these posts...brings back a lot of good memories.

The DUKE
10-25-11, 05:06 PM
Design engineering consultant , freelance, I consider myself a technical prostitute of sorts. I go where they need me and will pay me the most money. Love engineering, Cad work,. Design of machinery, nothing better than seeing your ideas come to fruition in the real world.

Alabama Gunny
10-29-11, 12:12 AM
When I retired from the Corps in '86 I was an Ammo Instructor in the joint school with the Army. I went back to work as one of the Army Civilian Instructors. From there I moved on getting into Inventory Management of spare and repair parts for systems used by all services and managed by the Army Aviation and Missile Command. While working for the Army, I attained a Bachelor's Degree from Athens State University and a Master's from Florida Institute of Technology. January of this year I retired and now just play.

echo7tango
11-03-11, 07:47 AM
I work for a medical software company where we develop oncology management systems. I've been there since 1996, as a software test engineer until 2007, and since then am in quality assurance and regulatory affairs.
I also teach some motorcycle safety classes on the side.

jp2usmc
11-03-11, 09:07 AM
I also teach some motorcycle safety classes on the side.

How did you get into that? I'd like doing something like that myself.

echo7tango
11-03-11, 09:38 AM
How did you get into that? I'd like doing something like that myself.

Contact the MSF: Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Find schools near you, then contact the site administrator and talk to him/her. That's how I did it. You then start learning and studying, and then you take the RCT, RiderCoach Training. Good luck!

CPL GG
11-03-11, 10:18 AM
Retarded/retired Law Enforcement/Private Security

mikejean
11-03-11, 10:45 AM
i am doing job in pharmaceuticals company as a computer operator. it's a big company

Bumper Stickers (http://www.printingray.com/bumper-sticker-printing.html)

jebollenbach
11-03-11, 01:04 PM
I am a Safety/Security & Facilities Maintenance Manager for a 3rd party logistics company in Memphis, Tn. On the side I got my certification as an EMT.

kabar1
11-03-11, 03:48 PM
i work for Walmart 10 years and counting

Tennessee Top
11-03-11, 04:04 PM
I know that the Corps and marraige don't work that well.

You got that one right! Ex left me for Jody while I was on the rock (the first time)!! Second time I went back I made up for lost time...best thing she ever did!!! Hope she and Jody lived happily ever-after cause I know I did:banana:

Hunt1284
11-07-11, 05:57 PM
I'm standing mids on the MSG program in Milan, Italy. Damn I need a beer. :marine:

ronmar221
11-13-11, 04:59 PM
I design, Build and, Repair electronic Instruments for the Oil Industry. I have been at it now for 40 years. I would have never been in the position that I am in today, had it not been for my time in the Corps. My ambition was multiplied many times with my experiences gained in the USMC.

USMCM38A1
11-13-11, 06:38 PM
USMC 6433 from 85 to 89. worked at Ford 94 to present ,apprenticed in 2000 for Ford Fork truck Mechanic,Transferred from Ford in Sandusky,Ohio to Ford Louisville Assembly starting 30 January 2012

USMCE4
11-13-11, 06:58 PM
Glad the title isn't what you have done since you EAS'd. After reading the majority of the thread, several of you have been able to find the job that fits you for a long period, but like me many have gone from job to job to find something that is good for the time being. All right enough of the bs.

I am currently a Technical Account Manager for a major credit card company. Started nearly 6 years ago as a Customer Support Representative and I am continuing my move up in this industry. Hopefully I can retire with the company as many of you have done and enjoy the benefits of retirement.

Semper Fi,
John

EGTSpec
11-13-11, 08:39 PM
Done a chit pot full of jobs. None was considered a "life's calling". Mostly OTR trucking like my Ma, and Pa who were a team. When I would become burned out from that I tried, Meat packing plant worker, sewing machine mechanic, shoe salesman, redi-mix concrete truck driver/asst manager, discount dept store asst manager, packing machine operator, used car salesman, welder, metal fabricator, farm hand, and packing plant worker. In between each job I would invariably go back to OTR. Currently a Redi-mix concrete truck driver again, but starting to miss the open road.

FistFu68
11-14-11, 12:07 AM
:beer: Professional Beer Drinker :beer: :iwo:

Jarhead1341
11-27-11, 04:38 PM
I work as an engineer for an aerospace and defense company that makes turbine engine components for military/aerospace and IGT. Started with them when i got out as an entry level position washing parts. Worked a few other places slowly advancing my career as i finished my bachelors now back with them and working on my masters.

Hawkaida
12-28-11, 03:35 AM
USMC India & Kilo 3/6 1987-1993.
Now working as LAN Analyst for BNSF railway - http://www.bnsf.com

Natadog
12-30-11, 08:44 PM
Cox Communications Field Service Tech/Plant Tech/SOC

rhclark
01-03-12, 01:48 PM
I am an Electrical Designer working at Y12 in Oak Ridge, Tn where they helped make the atom bomb to end WWII. Worked on numerous Nuclear Plants east of the Mississippi.

rhclark
01-03-12, 01:52 PM
Working as an Electrical Designer at Y12 in Oak Ridge, Tn where they helped build the atom bomb to end WWII. Worked at numerous Nuclear Power Plants east of the Mississippi.

rhclark
01-03-12, 02:23 PM
Working as an Electrical Designer at Y12 Oak Ridge, Tn where they helped build the atom bomb to end WWII. Worked at numerous Nuclear Power Plants east of the Mississippi.

dirtyirish
01-27-12, 06:48 PM
worked for American Airlines till I was Medically retired in 2003 I was crew chief AMT-Aircraft Maintenance Technician now I am 100% disabled Vietnam Veteran ( kinda makes ya think huh ) to the gent who worked at the VA just a tad of PTSD the rest is diabetes and a few other CONTRIBUTING/PRESUMATIVE medical problems
not bitter at all
and still A PROUD Marine
Semper Fi

wayne1111
02-05-12, 10:40 AM
What is your current carrer/occupation? Me, Correctional Officer, by location the only other thing to do here is gas station/coal mines or grocery store. SW Virginia....Missed alot of work due to 10 years out of Corps and still trying to adapt to the civilian world with PTSD, recently seperated after 12 years of marriage. What about your experience?

That sucks, but I can relate. I got out, got a degree, married a beautiful woman, and had a pretty good job. Now I'm down to just a degree, no job, and really miss being a part of something important. One foot in front of the other till you can't anymore.

Skipper03020805
03-03-12, 08:35 PM
I live on the edge of the desert, advocate for social justice, and pray.

Big Boz
03-03-12, 08:49 PM
Fixed radios in the Corps and am now maintaining a cell phone network for a small local company.

advanced
03-04-12, 07:00 PM
I live on the edge of the desert, advocate for social justice, and pray.

Maybe it's just me but I can't remember what "advocate for social justice" is code for.

doc h fmf
03-04-12, 07:43 PM
I am an unemployed lpn looking for a jobsemper fi my brothers and sisters stephen doc hansen hm3 fmf

TMM54
03-05-12, 08:29 AM
Graduated from chiropractic college, opened my own practice, and looking to open a second office. I guess what I am doing works!

Semper Fi, Tom

jp2usmc
03-05-12, 08:34 AM
Graduated from chiropractic college, opened my own practice, and looking to open a second office. I guess what I am doing works!

Semper Fi, Tom

Wished you were closer, Tom. Chiropractors are the best.

SSgtPressley
03-12-12, 02:31 AM
After getting out of the Corps, I worked for Blackwater from 01'-07', I was a Advisor in Iraq, I was based out of Balad, I would use my Intel Skills learned in the Corps there, just not wearing Cammies ;). Got out of that and settled down in the Country in Western TN, where I am a Investigator for Somerville Police Department. Son is going into the Marine Corps this Decemeber once he recieves his diploma.

William Hardy
03-14-12, 06:40 AM
After getting out of the Corps, I worked for Blackwater from 01'-07', I was a Advisor in Iraq, I was based out of Balad, I would use my Intel Skills learned in the Corps there, just not wearing Cammies ;). Got out of that and settled down in the Country in Western TN, where I am a Investigator for Somerville Police Department. Son is going into the Marine Corps this Decemeber once he recieves his diploma.

Hi! Just another Jarhead from W. TN (Carroll County) inviting you to join the group Morning Zephyr. No pressure. Guys just stop in and saying good morning. The same guys also have Evening Zephyr if you would rather say good evening. We have new guys to WWII Marine Raiders in the group. I am an old Vietnam era Marine. Served for 11 1/2 years. Joined the Army National Guard out of Jackson (actually the Intel detachment which was based in Nashville) and ended up doing a tour in Iraq in 2006. Come join us. :flag:

sleeper
05-07-12, 02:07 PM
Worked for DEA for a bit setting up electronic surveillance, then DOD radars, now the FAA radars, weather systems, and a lot of computers and their associated networks.

Guppy
07-06-12, 08:49 AM
I am doing the same thing I did when I was in the Marines. A computer tech/admin/nerd.

Devil Doc
07-08-12, 04:54 PM
I've been a Firefighter almost 12 years now, a Paramedic for almost 10 years and a Haz-Mat Technician for 2. Before that did a lot of construction, school and what ever I had to do to keep food on the Families table.

Jarhead85
09-07-12, 11:35 AM
Working in a Cosmetics company in NC, apart of process improvement/engineering team. Former law enforcement in Tx. (miss it)..Husband/Father of 2 future Marines..

Marine1955
09-07-12, 09:04 PM
Well when I got in 81 I went to home in W. TN. and stayed there for about three months till I couldn't find a job so went west to OK. got a job as a feed truck driver worked there then headed north to Kansas where I've been ever since. Work in Radio ,feed yards and fab. PVC pipe fitting, and feeding cattle and running mills until played in a band for 20 years now I'm retired because of accident.
Sucks too.

TMM54
09-08-12, 06:42 AM
Chiropractor in Raytown, Missouri. At my clinic early, stay late, never had it so good.
Life gets better every day. I get to help veterans, children, old folks, everyone, everyday. Prayers to you all my Brothers and Sisters.

Son moving here from Louisiana. What great joy!

Semper Fi,

Tom

Rooger
09-08-12, 08:46 AM
Lead Test Tech Mitsubishi electric power products INC in Warrendale Pa.

Build, test and repair major components for Diesel/electric trains all over the US, Canada and Mexico.

fl1946
09-08-12, 11:36 AM
I work at the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, Office of Deputy District Director

Semper fi, y'all