PDA

View Full Version : Lee Greenwood Performs for Bagram Troops

thedrifter
09-30-03, 06:23 AM
Lee Greenwood Performs for Bagram Troops

By U.S. Army Spc. Kelly Hunt / 4th Public Affairs Detachment

BAGRAM, Afghanistan, Sept. 29, 2003 — Country music star Lee Greenwood showed his patriotism once again as he met troops throughout base and provided a little inspiration during a concert Friday hosted at the MWR Civic Center.

Bagram is one stop on his planned nine-day tour where he is performing for troops in Kyrgyzstan, K2, Kandahar, Jalababad and Qatar in show of his everlasting support of military personnel and his country.

“I’ve had the same initiative since I was 15 years old, doing my part as a citizen to support and give confidence to the military and their mission,” said Greenwood. “That’s my mission and that’s my message.”

This is Greenwood’s first United Service Organizations tour since 9-11, though with over thirteen USO tours logged in, he’s nearly a veteran himself. Greenwood said he’s excited to be back on tour bringing smiles to appreciative crowds.

“When I come to see people in the military, I naturally see people who are longing to go home, but are doing their duty so when I do my shows, I’m gonna poke a little fun, but also bring them some of the culture out here half way across the globe,” he said.

Troops here welcomed his arrival with gratitude as Greenwood made his way throughout the base spending time with them and shaking hands one by one.

“I told my wife on the phone that I was going to meet Lee Greenwood so she’s just elated at the fact that I get to meet him and she’s mad that she didn’t,” said one fan, Air Force Chief Master Sgt. Ken McQuiston, 455th Air Expeditionary Wing. “It’s a tremendous honor for us to have folks come from the states to visit us because being thousands and thousands of miles from home and our loved ones, it’s nice to know someone else is thinking of us and will take time away from their schedule to come and entertain us.”

Greenwood’s dedication to the military is long lived and he strongly believes in the military’s mission, said Jerry Bently, Greenwood’s manager of 19 years.

“Lee’s been patriotic and supportive of the Armed Forces long before it was a fashionable thing to do,” said Bently, who added that he stands behind Greenwood every step of the way concerning his tours to visit deployed troops. “It’s just something that he feels very strongly about.”

Greenwood said the encouragement he gets back in the states to do these types of tours is incredible.

“When I tell people that I’m going to visit troops in Afghanistan, Iraq or wherever we’re going, I always get ‘yes, go do it, go take them our blessing,’” he said.

His dedication stems from many sources, but he said that looking at his wife Kim and children Dalton, 8, and Parker, 5, allows him to better relate to troops and helps him understand the difficulties they experience when deployed.

When given the chance to back out of the tour due to the fact that he would have to leave his band and entourage back in the states, Greenwood quickly said he would continue as planned through a one-man show was different then any tour he had done before. He was determined to be here for the troops and temporarily replaced his band’s sound with per-recorded background music, said Bently.

Greenwood’s hope in coming overseas and entertaining troops is to ensure in each of them that people back home do care and are thankful for the sacrifices troops are making for their country.

“No matter what their heritage or nationality before America, if you’re an American citizen and in uniform, they are serving the country and that’s important to me,” said Greenwood.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/sep2003/articles/ai092903g2.jpg

Country music star Lee Greenwood entertains troops here during a live performance held at the Morale, Wellness and Recreation Civic Center in support of the military’s mission in Afghanistan and in acknowledgement of the sacrifices they endure while deployed. U.S. Army photo by Spc. Kelly Hunt

http://www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/sep2003/articles/ai092903g1.jpg

Country music star Lee Greenwood signs an autograph for Senior Airman William Mackinzie, 245th Air Traffic Control Squadron, during a visit to the Air Force Compound on base. U.S. Army photo by Spc. Kelly Hunt

http://www.defendamerica.mil/articles/sep2003/a092903g.html?http://defendamerica.mil/articles/sep2003/a092603c.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: