PDA

View Full Version : accepting thanks

RBrouse
10-20-10, 10:50 PM
So Just a little bit ago I went out to eat at a local bar/resturant with my best friend who is in the air force ROTC and his friend who came down with him who is in the army ROTC at the same school. when we were there we were talking about the differences in the branches and ranking structure and just the military in general. At some point a guy at the table next to us over herd us and turned to us and he thanked us for our service and putting our lives on the line. I didn't know what to say to him sense I havn't done anything yet, but both of my friends got all happy and and said your welcome and stuff like that but Kyler who is the air force one said "Oh no problem it's my job". I felt like that wasnt right. And a few minuets later the owner of the resurant came out to talk to us I'm guessing the waitress told him or maybe cause both of them were wearing jakets that said air force or army, but it turns out his dad was a Marine so he was nice to talk to, we had a long conversation and when we were done eating he came out and told us our meal was on the house and thanked us just like the first guy. again I didn't really feel good taking the thanks but he didn't even want to take a tip I left a big tip anyways. I guess what I'm trying to say is. Is it right for us as poolees to be accepting thanks even though we havn't really done anything yet or is it ok sense we intend to be serving our country and eventually will be? what do you guys think?

mcspam
10-20-10, 10:57 PM
Ya I too have the same problem. Like we are in the DEP and when people refer to when they DEP'd in they say "enlisted", technically we did enlist, but we aren't actually in the Marines yet so I just tell people I am in the Delayed Entry Program for the Marines, as most don't know what the hell the "DEP" means. I haven't had much experience with people thanking me, but if they do I say hey I am not in yet, but when I am, then your welcome.

Steve018
10-20-10, 11:04 PM
I've thought over this one a lot. To be honest, I personally dont like it. We enlisted, thats all. We havent even earned the title yet. It's one thing for some to say "thanks for having the balls to enlist" over "thanks for serving our country! even though your not guaranteed to make it through boot camp!".

AHO
10-21-10, 12:18 AM
You're not a Marine you're an applicant.

Rough Hands
10-21-10, 02:05 AM
I usually tell people straight, "I'm not a Marine yet; I haven't earned it, but thank you." I've had quite a few Marines and Marine family members come up to me when I'm at the pull-up booth with the recruiters and say similar things, or the occasional "Semper Fi". I always tell them the same thing, they usually understand. I get mixed responses from civilians.

Not really the same thing, but we have a Sergeant Major visiting our RSS this week, and he gave me a long moto talk and then thanked me for enlisting during a time of conflict and being all noble and whatnot. I almost teared up a little. lol

ScarSniper
10-21-10, 08:41 AM
You're not a Marine you're an applicant.

No, we're poolees. Applicants are folks who have yet to take their Oath. We are poolees.

I get it too and honestly I feel strange too when it happens. If they say "Thank you" I'll say your welcome and kinda smile but if they say "Thank you for your service" I'll say I haven't been to Bootcamp yet but you're welcome and usually they still say "Well thank you anyway." I don't know, it's strange but it'd be impolite to not at least explain yourself and say you're welcome. If a former Marine or service member tells me thank you however, I feel O.K. because he/she's been through it and so I don't feel like a fraud for saying you're welcome. I dunno.

jc8791
10-21-10, 10:08 AM
That has happened to me a few times, when people told me thanks. I'm just honest with them. I tell them that I haven't done anything yet, and that I am only a Poolee and in the Delayed Entry Program. That I am just waiting to leave for boot. A lot of people understand and respect the fact that I am being honest with them. But I remember one guy that thanked me again saying, "Well you are still doing more than most people around and will do a lot more, so I still thank you." Not going to lie when he said that, It felt good. Especially since I wasn't lying about being a Marine or anything.

Zumbii
10-21-10, 10:33 AM
A couple days ago outside my recruiting station, a retired Marine with a Marine shirt and hat was standing by his car. We made eye contact and I gave him a nod, as I was passing him he said Semper Fi. (I was in my DEP shirt). I stopped and said "Sir, I'm not a Marine yet." He just nodded.
I don't like people knowing anything about what I am about to do with my life... because I haven't done it yet. My mom seems to like to tell everyone that I am in the Corps and it makes me so mad... to the point I was actually legitimately angry with her lol. Once I come back a Marine, fine tell people, I won't care, because at least then I will have actually done something.

BassPro0007
10-21-10, 11:45 AM
The pool group breeds us all to not think of ourselves as Marines, which makes scence because were not. I have a huge problem when a Marine tells me Semper Fi. I freeze up and look like an idiot lol. I will say this though. I used to tell my dad how much I hated when people told me thank you for what I am doing and he told me this. They are not telling you thank you for going thru boot camp, they are telling you thank you for serving. We have all made the decission to serve and work at it every day. Its not a bad thing to accept a thank you. It motivates me now more then anything.

pattchan
10-21-10, 11:46 AM
haha joined a gym a couple months ago the owner was in the Marines for 22 years and was a DI. saw my Marines lan yard and gave me a free membership til i ship out. we chat a lil bit every time i come in

franksg99
10-21-10, 01:24 PM
I went to a welcome home party thing for a couple Army soldiers who came back from afghanistan, and the entire thing is basically run by prior-service bikers. The guy I went with is my friend's dad who is a former Marine, and somehow word got out that I was going to bootcamp soon. I ended up getting free cubs tickets and a whole lot of handshakes out of it. It felt weird because I haven't even gone to bootcamp yet but I made that very clear and everyone was just congratulating me on the decision so I thought that was cool.

lake9
10-21-10, 01:32 PM
Yeah i had the same thing happen to me a few times.. I was at a pt, an few of us were outside the office and this old lady comes over and starts hugging us and thanking us for our service. then walked away and said "I'm not crazy" none really said anything because it happend so fast and was so random lol.

sparkie
10-21-10, 01:32 PM
True, you are all not Marines yet,,,, But on behalf of my Brothers and Sisters, thank you for signing that old "blank check".