PDA

View Full Version : Question about parental consent

keeta416
10-19-10, 02:14 PM
My stepson is 17 and will be looking to enlist before his 18th birthday. His father and I have primary custody and support this decision. On paper, however, we do have shared custody with his mother, that he rarely sees. However, the child custody agreement does state that "the father has primary custody and all decision making abilities". My question is this - will his father's signature be enough for him to enlist before he is 18 since he is the one with primary custody? Or will we need her signature too? There really isn't much a relationship with his mother at all and she is soon to be moving out of state. We are concerned this will be an issue when the time comes. Thanks in advance for your help.

keeta416
10-19-10, 02:15 PM
p.s. My husband was a Marine Corps Recruiter for 4 years in the 90's - we are wondering if things have changed - he remembers it as being only SOLE custody arrangement allowing for one signature.

yanacek
10-19-10, 02:42 PM
Paragraph 3211.2 of MCO P1100.72B gives the following guidance:

3211. CRITERIA.
1. All applicants must meet the age standards contained in Table 3-1, on
page 3-15. The Marine Corps has no obligation to enlist applicants who
apply, or to retain members of the DEP or SMCR awaiting IADT orders, if they
have not commenced active duty before becoming ineligible because of age.
Applicants will not be enlisted if their projected starting date of active
duty will not let them meet age criteria.

2. PARENTAL CONSENT.
a. Prior to physical examination for enlistment, 17-year-old unmarried
applicants must have the written consent of parents or guardians. Under no
circumstances will an unmarried 17-year-old applicant take a physical
examination at a MEPS, enlist into the Marine Corps or SMCR, or change
components without the proper parental or guardian consent (except
emancipated minors). The term "consent of parent(s) or guardian(s)," as
used herein, means written consent executed before a notary public,
recruiting officer, or recruiter, in the applicable section of the DD Form
1966. The consent shall be given by:

1. Both parents, if living and not legally separated or divorced, or
2. The surviving parent if one parent is deceased, or
3. The custodial parent if parents are legally separated or divorced, (separation/divorce papers are required) even if both parents sign, in order to establish custody, or
4. The custodial parent if one parent abandoned the family or is missing, or
5. The legally appointed guardian if both parents are deceased or
if parents were legally separated and the custody of the applicant was awarded to a person other than one of the parents.

b. When both parents do not sign, copies of court orders or decrees which explain and substantiate the status of the non-signing parent(s) must accompany the application. In cases in which one parent has abandoned the family or is absolutely unavailable for signature (e.g., deployed on ship, in prison, out of the country, reported by the police as a "missing person," or in a country where there are no recruiting representatives or individuals authorized to act as witnessing officials for the execution of the parental
consent, etc.), but no formal proof exists, a statement will be made on the DD Form 1966 by the remaining parent confirming sole custody and assuming full responsibility for the enlistment. Such statements will be executed before a witnessing official, recruiting officer, or recruiter. Abandonment statements will not be used in lieu of obtaining single parent consent verification documents. The following statements will be used verbatim:

(1) I, (PARENT’S NAME), am (APPLICANT’S NAME)’s (FATHER, MOTHER OR
OTHER INDICATION OF RELATIONSHIP). (APPLICANT’S NAME)’s (FATHER/MOTHER)
abandoned our family approximately (NUMBER) years ago, and (HIS/HER)
whereabouts are unknown. I take full responsibility for my (SON/DAUGHTER)’s
enlistment.

(2) I, (PARENT’S NAME), am (APPLICANT’S NAME) (MOTHER/FATHER)
(APPLICANT’s NAME)’s (FATHER/MOTHER) and I were never married, and our (SON/
DAUGHTER) was born out of wedlock. I am the sole custodial parent and take
full responsibility for (HIS/HER) enlistment.

(3) I (PARENT’S NAME), am (APPLICANT’S NAME)’s (FATHER, MOTHER, OR
OTHER INDICATION OF RELATIONSHIP). (APPLICANT’S NAME)’s (FATHER/MOTHER)is
absolutely unavailable for signature because (REASON), has so been since
(DATE), and is expected to be until (DATE). I take full responsibility for
(APPLICANT’S NAME)’s enlistment.

keeta416
10-19-10, 02:46 PM
THANK YOU!!! That is exactly what I was looking for.

RCSmith
09-15-11, 06:09 PM
My daughter had joined with my ex wife signing a statement of abandonment. Why is there no check about the abandonment, especially if you have a father that is a retired Marine, HE CAN BE contacted. I pay child support, I talk to my kids on the phone, I visit my kids, but my ex does not allow them to come and visit me. My daughter wound up getting pregnant and not shipping, it would ahve been the best thing if she would have shipped that she could have done. I cannot believe that the recruiting command in Twin Cities did not make sure that the abandonment was correct.