PDA

View Full Version : flexed arm hang

pooleesasquatch
10-18-10, 04:24 PM
hello my fellow poolee's I was just wondering what I could do to improve my flexed arm hang I'm at 77 seconds but my goal is around 90 seconds or more. I can do 3 pullups and no matter how much I lift I seem to be on a pullup plateau? I heard if I can do alot of pullups I can do my flexed arm hang for a really long time but I cant break 3 pullups and hanging on that bar feels alot different than pulling yourself up to it then back down again. Any comments or tips?

sparkie
10-18-10, 07:42 PM
Practice??????

pattchan
10-18-10, 09:37 PM
theres no other way to get better on pullups than doing them

Rough Hands
10-18-10, 10:02 PM
The last flexed-arm hang I did was 45 seconds (almost a month ago!), but I've gotten from 1 to 3 pulls up in about 2-3 weeks. There are some threads about improving pull ups; check out the Armstrong Pull-up Program, Recon Ron Pull-up Program, or... the other one in the Marine Mentor forum.

What worked for me was doing one pull-up, resting for 1 minute, then doing another one and repeating, until I couldn't do anymore. Then I would take an extended break and do more, sometime extending the rest period from 1 to 10 minutes. I did this until I reached 100 pull ups a day. I also have an assisted pull-up band, so sometimes I'll do a set of 2 or 3 regular pull ups, then put the band on and keep pulling until failure. Lots of push-ups too, they'll help strengthen your shoulder girdle immensely.

Just my two cents.

pooleesasquatch
10-28-10, 04:00 PM
thanks for the feedback. my FAH is the same but I am finally at 5 pullups. :)

RebeccaMorris
10-28-10, 04:47 PM
hello my fellow poolee's I was just wondering what I could do to improve my flexed arm hang I'm at 77 seconds but my goal is around 90 seconds or more. I can do 3 pullups and no matter how much I lift I seem to be on a pullup plateau? I heard if I can do alot of pullups I can do my flexed arm hang for a really long time but I cant break 3 pullups and hanging on that bar feels alot different than pulling yourself up to it then back down again. Any comments or tips?

Pyramids for the flexed arm hang.

NaMcTx
10-28-10, 06:17 PM
I wish I got to do a flexed arm hang... just sayin

Kiri
10-29-10, 10:06 AM
I wish I got to do a flexed arm hang... just sayin

My recruiter has a hard time doing FAH and he can do around 13 pullups. Have you ever freakin tried doing a FAH? Come back when you have, thanks.

ScarSniper
10-29-10, 10:13 AM
My recruiter has a hard time doing FAH and he can do around 13 pullups. Have you ever freakin tried doing a FAH? Come back when you have, thanks.

I'll give you that. I'm almost at 20 pull-ups and I'm the first to admit the FAH isn't easy. I can do it for about 60 seconds, maybe even longer but It's a hard deal. Anyone who says it's a piece of cake is either a killer PT machine or a liar. I mean, it's doable it's easier to increase the FAH than it is to increase pull-ups, but it's not as easy as it seems. That being said, if the FAH was the only thing stopping me from getting a perfect 300, I'd get it a lot quicker than if I were trying to go from 18 pull-ups to 20.