PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about MOS

NamorrMP
10-16-10, 06:54 PM
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but i've searched both on here and on google and couldn't find any direct answers. My ship date isn't until June of next year. I have a contract for 5811 MP, and am planning on applying for PLC as I am going to attend college after BC. My dilemma is that I've wanted to be a Scout Sniper since I was 8 years old. Not because of 'Surviving the Cut' or because its the "coolest" job, but because I have deep respect for those that earn the Hog's tooth and want to learn everything there is about it. But I recently found out that you can't go through scout sniper school as a reservist, which is why I chose 5811, I was content with it at the time, but it has been eating away at me lately. So my question is should I go through BC, report to my post as an MP, apply for PLC, become an officer and do my time as an MP, ( granted I know its not all that easy), or should I skip college, go 03 and take the chance of not even being able to get into the school and miss out on an opportunity to get college paid for and be an Officer? I know that I can still go through the school as an Officer after OCS, but I'd be the one sending the snipers out so to speak, and I want to be the one sent out. Also, I'm wondering how Boot butterbars are looked at, honestly. I consider myself a good, considerate leader, and even now live by "JJ DID TIE BUCKLE" when dealing with others, and I realize that the Sergeants, have seen more action and have more experience than I do and will allow them to teach me as I lead. But Im worried that too many preconceived notions and prejudice due to the actions of past PLC's will hinder my ability to show them that.
I know this is a lot to ask, but any response/guidance/opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.