PDA

View Full Version : Education for enlisted Marine

Oreilly09
10-16-10, 02:34 AM
Hello, first and foremost I would like to thank all vetrans past and present for everything that they have done to keep the country that I love free. I am new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions, please re-direct me if I am in the wrong section.

First, I currently have my GED. When I was eightteen years old, I was looking into enlisting. My recruiter at that time said that it would not be a problem for me to enlist, and that I could ship within a month. That was in November of 2006.

Now, at the age of twenty-one, I have decided that I am ready to take on that challenge of my life and earn the title, of United States Marine. However, I have gained some weight (which I am currently working to lose to make weight, and below weight for that fact.) The local recruiter has told me that I can not enlist until I either get my High School Diploma, or 15 College credits. What has changed from 2006, until 2010 for requirements?

Secondly, doesn't the military have a Tier for candidates to enlist? Tier 1 candidates are ready to go, and Tier 2 candidates have either a GED or equivalent, and Tier 3 are basically a wash?

Thank you for all of your responses in advance.

brian0351
10-16-10, 03:33 AM
This will probably get moved to "Ask a Marine"

And yes, the requirement for GED is now 15 college credits. The reasoning is because the Marine Corps is "full" and there are plenty of applicants who have their Diplomas and aren't overweight.

So...go take a semester+ of college. You can easily knock out 15 credits at a community college and that will allow you time to get into shape. You're really not losing out here.

DanM
10-16-10, 09:49 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96657

Oreilly09
10-17-10, 06:35 AM
I appreciate everyones help. I had looked into the college idea, but it just doesn't seem as feesable to me as going back to the adult education center and getting my diploma at this moment. Just for money sakes, because I still have to work and work out. Although, I do understand, and it does make sense for the core to be selective. To get in I just have to step my game up.