PDA

View Full Version : NY Poolee Requirements

Wenzel
10-14-10, 07:47 PM
I am currently part of RSS Lindenhurst. Now before I DEPed into the program, I read about the requirements to join was that you had to be able to do 2 pull-ups, 35 sit-ups, and run the mile-and-a-half in 13'30''. However, when I became a Poolee, I was instructed that I had to achieve at least 5 pull-ups, 50 crunches in two minutes, and run the course in 12'30''. Why does New York have higher requirements.... Not that I'm complaining, of course.:D

lake9
10-14-10, 08:14 PM
It's the same here in New jersey, not sure.

topless617
10-14-10, 08:59 PM
Same here at my recruiting station in maryland. They have very high standards. They don't want just anyone going down there with just the minimum requirements. But don't sweat it if you can't 100% meet their requirements. I'm borerline for making my stations minimum for crunches, but I'm still shipping on the 26th.

mcspam
10-14-10, 09:09 PM
I think it depends on the command of your areas. The USMC has the standards, but your individual command might have higher standards. We also just got word that there was a higher standards and that is for the Dallas area. I am not sure how it works, but technically they could deny shipping you, it is not like they aren't at 110% recruiting capacity. I think it might be more of a scare tactic or incentive to get you better before shipping, because I think if as long as you showed improvement with your time in DEP and you exceed the minimum Marine Corps minimum requirements they would have no problem shipping you no matter your individual area's command standards. Of course they can do what they want to so doesn't matter.

New Jersey
10-14-10, 09:33 PM
My RSS requires 5 pullups, 60 crunches, and 12:30 mile and a half.

Rough Hands
10-14-10, 09:47 PM
Every RSS does things a little bit differently. 2 pull ups, 44 crunches, and a 13:30 (15:00 for females) 1.5 mile will get you in a normal platoon at boot camp, but most recruiters don't want kids going down to the depot doing the bare minimum. You raise the standards, and suddenly kids expect more from themselves and bring themselves to meet those standards.

pattchan
10-14-10, 09:59 PM
had to sign a statement of understanding for 5pullups 60 crunches and 12:30 1.5mi before u can ship out and what DEP was about :p

Zumbii
10-14-10, 10:03 PM
most recruiters don't want kids going down to the depot doing the bare minimum. You raise the standards, and suddenly kids expect more from themselves and bring themselves to meet those standards.

What she said

RBrouse
10-14-10, 10:21 PM
My recruiter said i wont ship if i cant do at least 15 pullups 100 crunches and a 10:30 mile, but I know i can get there a kid I used to play hockey with is leaving this month was just like me 6 months ago when he began he couldnt do 1 pull up ran a 13:xx 1.5 and about 40 crunches, he is now at 21 pullups 160 crunches and a 9:32 1.5 mile so I know its possible and i will be higher than that

ScarSniper
10-15-10, 08:37 AM
I am currently part of RSS Lindenhurst. Now before I DEPed into the program, I read about the requirements to join was that you had to be able to do 2 pull-ups, 35 sit-ups, and run the mile-and-a-half in 13'30''. However, when I became a Poolee, I was instructed that I had to achieve at least 5 pull-ups, 50 crunches in two minutes, and run the course in 12'30''. Why does New York have higher requirements.... Not that I'm complaining, of course.:D

It's officially 2, bro, but here in N.Y. MEPS wont ship you unless you've got 5 under your belt. Go to MEPS with 2 pull-ups and Gunnery Sergeant Hess will send you back to your RS. N.Y. MEPS just wants to make sure we're on point when we ship to boot. Besides, if the rumor is true, and the PIDIs treat us worst because they're from N.Y. (and multiple Marines have confirmed this) you're going to want to be able to skim through your IST when you get to boot. What RS are you from?

Wenzel
10-15-10, 08:57 AM
RSS Lindenhurst. You're from RSS Brooklyn? Didn't we face you in the first round of the Sergeant Major's Cup?

ScarSniper
10-15-10, 09:08 AM
RSS Lindenhurst. You're from RSS Brooklyn? Didn't we face you in the first round of the Sergeant Major's Cup?

No way man, I wasn't there. I'm RSS Manhattan by the way. My Staff Sergeant was angry because I didn't show up because they needed somebody really fast. I missed the Sergeant Major's cup. Were you at the IST on Saturday in Long Island?

Wenzel
10-15-10, 09:19 AM
If you mean this past Saturday, yeah. Don't ever miss a PT... well maybe once, but that was because of work -_-

ScarSniper
10-15-10, 09:30 AM
If you mean this past Saturday, yeah. Don't ever miss a PT... well maybe once, but that was because of work -_-

Alright, sounds good to go. Remember when all of us drove over to the park to do our mile and a 1/2 run? When started running, if you weren't in the back, did you notice one of the guys start running really fast ahead of our supposed "rabbits"? And was in the lead? (C'mon, if your run-time is 10:25, you shouldn't be a rabbit, maybe a turtle.) That was me. With the scar on my face. Dunno if you saw me bro. :D

Wenzel
10-15-10, 09:37 AM
You mean in Garden City? Nah, we stayed at the station and PTed, only a few guys went over there. I think SSGT Bedell was planning on going but half our Pool didn't show up. He said something about discharging everyone who hasn't been showing up, but I'm not sure if he's really gonna do that. And I wouldn't quite call myself a turtle... maybe a fat rabbit...lol.

ScarSniper
10-15-10, 09:42 AM
You mean in Garden City? Nah, we stayed at the station and PTed, only a few guys went over there. I think SSGT Bedell was planning on going but half our Pool didn't show up. He said something about discharging everyone who hasn't been showing up, but I'm not sure if he's really gonna do that. And I wouldn't quite call myself a turtle... maybe a fat rabbit...lol.

Yeah, I don't like when poolees don't show up to the Funk. It irritates me considerably. Lack of representation for your RS, you know? At my RS our gunnery sergeant makes us sign a roster now, to keep track of who's been showing up during the week. Too many slackers, and I know people have lives and have to work, but if you want to be a Marine you have to make a few sacrifices. And uh, It's just...if your run time isn't in the 9's or 8's, you shouldn't be a rabbit, because there's bound to be a poolee who outraces you. No offense meant.

Wenzel
10-15-10, 09:54 AM
Oh none taken at all. I know my run is mid-low tier. But I have been making huge strides with it ever since they put me on high-risk. That was a real eye-opener because I don't want to lose my job. This is the one shot at my dream. I don't understand how some of the guys in my pool are so laxadazical(sp?) about it. But it really does divide the dedicated and motivated from big-talkers and wannabees. I'm shooting to get at least in the 9's by mid-November. Running a mile and a half everyday.

Steve018
10-15-10, 12:50 PM
Wow, consider yourself lucky. When I enlisted we didnt even do pull ups. Normally it would've been two but I guess they were extremely busy and us being the last group to enlist, they were just like...

Eodre23
10-16-10, 02:31 PM
RS Buffalo is 6 pull ups 65 crunchs and 12 mins

ScarSniper
10-16-10, 02:50 PM
I just came back from a motivated Poolee meeting! Ruh! We ran from the office, to the Brooklyn Bridge, across the entire bridge and back to the office. We were split up in groups of 2 (fast/slow) and I was Squad Leader for the fast group. I've never sounded off so loud in my life. We had this Motivated Lance Corporal who scored a perfect 300 on his PFT (He wasn't even beefy!) and he had us screaming Cadences. Most of the time, we shout them but the recruiters mess the lyrics up sometimes, but this dude (who's brother and cousin are at our RS. Cool people) knew his ****. After, we went to battery park (carrying Ammo cans, but not running) and they slayed our bodies with ammo-can lifts, squats, lunges, some new exersize I just learned called "4 crawls" mountain climbers (tough when your arms feel like lead) and other crazy forms of killer PT. It was cold as **** this morning too, even with the sun out. Still, the weather didn't stop us from playing two games of football on the field. Then back to the office, and hung out. Good PT day. Feeling MOTIVATED!

pattchan
10-16-10, 03:46 PM
one kid just got discharged for not showing up at the poolee function without notice

ScarSniper
10-16-10, 05:15 PM
That's O.D. I mean, unless he was a repeat offender, that's quite aggressive. Perhaps he was a sh!tbird who wasn't squared away and was taking up another man's slot and so he got Discharged but to...