PDA

View Full Version : Forum Member HurricaneRJ, KIA Afghanistan

USNAviator
10-14-10, 11:59 AM
Sadly I post this confirmation about LCPL Raymon Johnson's death. RIP MARINE

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2010/10/14/1306438/marine-raymon-johnson-former-shaw.html

NoRemorse
10-14-10, 12:44 PM
Semper Fi, brother. Prayers outbound to you and yours.

jinelson
10-14-10, 12:59 PM
DOD Indentifies Marine Casualty

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Raymon L. A. Johnson, 22, of Midland, Ga., died Oct. 13 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

For additional background information on this Marine, news media representatives may contact the 2nd Marine Division public affairs office at 910-449-9925 or http://www.marines.mil/unit/2ndmardiv/Pages/Media/default.aspx .

To best of my knowlege HurricaneRJ is the only member of Leatherneck.com to have given the last full measure of devotion to his Corps and Country in the current war in Afganistan. We have had some members that have been WIA. Ramon was a very active contributor to our forums both before he became a Marine and after. My sincere condolances to his family and my thanks for raising such a fine young man. Its been an honor and a pleasure to have known LCpl Ramon Johnson United States Marine Corps.

Semper Fidelis

Jim

http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=13968

Wyoming
10-14-10, 01:32 PM
DOD Indentifies Marine Casualty

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Raymon L. A. Johnson, 22, of Midland, Ga., died Oct. 13 while conducting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

For additional background information on this Marine, news media representatives may contact the 2nd Marine Division public affairs office at 910-449-9925 or http://www.marines.mil/unit/2ndmardiv/Pages/Media/default.aspx .

To best of my knowlege HurricaneRJ is the only member of Leatherneck.com to have given the last full measure of devotion to his Corps and Country in the current war in Afganistan. We have had some members that have been WIA. Ramon was a very active contributor to our forums both before he became a Marine and after. My sincere condolances to his family and my thanks for raising such a fine young man. Its been an honor and a pleasure to have known LCpl Ramon Johnson United States Marine Corps.

Semper Fidelis

Jim

http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=13968

Well said Jim, well said.

rb1651
10-14-10, 01:39 PM
He will be missed here at Leatherneck. Rest In Peace Brother, we'll meet again someday. Prayers are out for Raymon and all who been touched by his passing.

hbharrison
10-14-10, 01:57 PM
R.I.P. Marine you will be missed, prayers out to Lcp R. Johnson and to his family.

vipere6
10-14-10, 02:03 PM
I'm sadden for this families loss. May GODS hand be upon them and comfort them through this trying time. He will be with us in spirit and he will never be forgotten.

Simper Fi. Marine.

usmc3521
10-14-10, 02:11 PM
only 3 weeks in country, sad. Rest in Peace Marine. S/F

brian0351
10-14-10, 02:14 PM
You never want to hear about the loss of a brother. He was a regular here? What was his screenname?

jinelson
10-14-10, 02:24 PM
You never want to hear about the loss of a brother. He was a regular here? What was his screenname?

Yes he was a regular here for several years and became a member before he became a Marine. His screen name was HurricaneRJ.

Jim

ameriken
10-14-10, 02:25 PM

HurricaneRJ.

His last thread here was posted that he was deploying and he sounded quite excited about it. So sad to see another Marine, especially a brother from the forum, have to give his life.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98583

tnernie
10-14-10, 02:39 PM
Over the last couple of year I have gotten to know Lcpl Johnson. He and my son were room mates on base. Lots of fond memories and wonderful stories to share. I am in shock and can not believe he is gone. Our family had the honor of taking him out for his birthday right before deployment. He is going to be missed so much. A true Hero and all round great guy. I love you Johnson.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

jetdoc
10-14-10, 03:14 PM
I had gotten to know Ray when he was still in high school and a Poolee...he dropped a lot of weight to get in the Corps....we talked extensively on topics from weight loss to chicks. We talked on the phone a few times and on FB...a loss of a son, a brother, a friend, a Marine...a loss of potential, of what he was hoping to be in the future. Semper Fi Ray.

Marine84
10-14-10, 05:45 PM
DAMN! I just saw it on the news and they said his name. I'm floored.

josephd
10-14-10, 05:53 PM
RIP LCpl Johnson...Semper Fi bro

Phantom Blooper
10-14-10, 07:37 PM
Hurricane was a good Marine!

Rest In Peace!

Thoughts out to his mother,brother,family and friends!

Watched and helped mentor from a poolee to Marine.

He was hoping that since he was with 1/8 that he could volunteer and meet me at the Beirut memorial in NC.

Have to wait for the streets of gold.:flag:

Semper-Fi Marine friend!:beer:

:evilgrin:

viper1833
10-14-10, 07:53 PM
RIP Lcpl Johnson, you will be missed, Semper Fi!!:iwo:

sparkie
10-14-10, 08:09 PM
I remember,,,,,, and with these tears I always will.

Old Marine
10-14-10, 08:17 PM
RIP young LCpl Johnson. Semper Fi.

RLE0352
10-14-10, 08:49 PM
Rest In Peace Marine.

gunner1
10-14-10, 09:11 PM
It's always sad to loose a brother. Rest in peace Marine. Semper Fi

firedog974
10-14-10, 09:26 PM
Prayers outbound for you and your family. You may be gone, but you will never be forgotten.

Semper Fi Marine.

SGT7477
10-14-10, 09:38 PM
RIP Marine, Semper Fidelis Brother.

awbrown1462
10-14-10, 09:51 PM
He is a Marine
by A.W.Brown
I didn’t know him well
Never saw him once
But that’s ok
For like me
He is a Marine

He was young
Maybe a bit wild
Strong willed
But that is ok
After all
He is a Marine

Heard today
That he did his duty
And paid the fullest Price
In land far away
But that’s ok
He is a Marine

His Name is
L/Cpl. Raymond Johnson
Known by some as
Hurricane RJ
Known by other Marines
As Brother
He is and will always be a Marine

Rest in Peace Marine

thewookie
10-14-10, 10:01 PM
RIP, Marine.

Thank you for your service.

temarti
10-14-10, 10:15 PM
Rest in Peace, Marine, Semper Fi

SgtHMH
10-14-10, 10:24 PM
RIP Marine you did your duty.

As Gunny said " Marines die that is what we are here for, but the Marine Corps will live forever and that means you will live forever."

Semper Fi Marine

SGTBrentG
10-14-10, 10:25 PM
Semper Fi brother. Rest in Peace.

linda1945
10-15-10, 05:09 AM
Rest in peace Marine. God bless
Semper Fi
Lin

Sgt Jim
10-15-10, 06:22 AM
Rest In Peace Marine,you will be missed by all here.

thewookie
10-15-10, 07:40 AM
Found this on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liKBG7VnLMI

RIP, RJ.

jinelson
10-15-10, 10:28 AM
Thank you Mike for sharing this with us.

Jim

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/liKBG7VnLMI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/liKBG7VnLMI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

kenrobg30
10-15-10, 11:46 AM
Have we cried an ocean yet ? Sempre Fidelis Marine. :flag: Ken

ssgtH
10-15-10, 01:49 PM
SEMPER FI MARINE:iwo:

Zulu 36
10-15-10, 05:05 PM
I feel a pang every time I read the DoD casualty releases, especially Marines. But this one has struck me very hard.

RIP, Ray. You've done your duty. :flag:

jinelson
10-15-10, 05:35 PM
<object width="429" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://vp.mgnetwork.net/viewer.swf?u=84023bd8295e102ea6fd001ec92a4a0d&z=RBL&embed_player=1" ></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://vp.mgnetwork.net/viewer.swf?u=84023bd8295e102ea6fd001ec92a4a0d&z=RBL&embed_player=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="429" height="295"></embed></object>

Jim

USNAviator
10-15-10, 05:43 PM
<object height="295" width="429">

<embed src="http://vp.mgnetwork.net/viewer.swf?u=84023bd8295e102ea6fd001ec92a4a0d&z=RBL&embed_player=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="295" width="429"></object>

Jim

That was tough to watch but thank you for posting it Jim. What a great family he came from!

I think we've all been saying this too much lately with four more added today but once again, Rest in Peace Marine

jetdawgg
10-16-10, 08:07 AM
http://images.quickblogcast.com/0/0/7/4/3/143866-134700/marine_crying_at_reagan_funeral.jpg

doc h fmf
10-16-10, 08:37 AM
Rip Raymon May God Richley Bless And Watch Over Your Family And May God Craddle You In His Arms.
Semper Fi My Brother

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

JAGarland
10-16-10, 09:48 AM
RIP Marine! Prayers to the family and friends!

pocatellodave
10-16-10, 09:50 AM
That was my old unit.Rest in peace my fellow Marine,and I pray for your family.You have done your duty as many Marines in our glorious past have done.Yes that's tears going down my cheeks.Some kind of tough guy I am.Salute young Marine.

Semper Fi

GSEMarine94
10-16-10, 12:24 PM
RIP Marine, you will not be forgotten.

Lisa 23
10-16-10, 06:44 PM
RIP Marine...prayers out to the family and friends.

mamaloop
10-16-10, 09:12 PM
LCpl Johnson and my son were friends. He went down to Florida before deployment and they went to the Canes game. My heart breaks for his family. He is now in heaven watching over his brothers. RIP Johnson

viper1833
10-16-10, 10:47 PM
This thread gets harder and harder to read everyday I remember Ray as a young Poolee, and New Marine. He always had questions regarding the Corps, and Life in General. Yet even with all the questions, and the hard times some gave him. He always stayed dedicated to his convictions. Semper Fi Marine We Shall Never Forget!!!!:iwo:

viper1833
10-16-10, 10:50 PM
Couple of Budweisers and this Song to you My Brother!!! Semper Fi!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cbRGksthTHQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cbRGksthTHQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

tdrt
10-17-10, 02:54 AM
Starting out, there were 3 threads about Ray's death, and a lot of us posted on those when the story first hit, but I want to say again, our prayers are with him and his family, what a terrible tragedy to someone so young. Semper Fi, Marine and Rest In Peace. You made the ultimate sacrifice for your country.

And he and all the others deserved every one of them.

RIP Marine

CH53MetalMan
10-17-10, 05:09 AM
God Bless

RIP Marine, you will be missed, but your memory lives on!

bgsuwoody
10-18-10, 02:51 AM
Wow I really dont know what to say. I am absolutely stunned right now to hear this. I went on to icasualties this afternoon and I saw the name and I was completely and utterly floored. I lost a good friend in this one. I lost a drinking buddy. I lost someone I could count on I lost a friend I would see from time to time in between walks to the Company office just PTing his boys and having a great time. Wow, I dont know what to do. This is just a recurring event for me...If it isn't one its another. I dodged the bullet myself, but everytime I look there is another name on the list another friend another brother.

This one truly hits home as I was one of the major reasons in convincing Ray to finally get up and join the Marine like he had always wanted to. I dont feel responsible, but I feel like I should be able to do something.

I know its late, but I'm on deployment. If there is anything being done for rememberance or otherwise and anyone can get an address. I NEED IT. I am hurt right now and I am on a boat with nothing to do to make it right.

Rest In Peace Ray, we'll all be with you soon, See yourself well with the likes of those before you.

pocatellodave
10-18-10, 10:07 AM
Yes this one was extremely hard for me as well.All Marine brothers deaths are difficult for all of us.That he was from my old unit,made it extremely hurtful for me.It was like I went back in time nearly fifty years ago and felt the pain of losing a buddy from my own unit.Some of you Marines actually knew the Marine personally,that had to be really rough to handle.Let us carry on Marines,L/CPL Johnson would have wanted it that way.
I wish I was young again with 1/8,looking to extract some revenge on the Taliban.I would go right now if they would let me.In my heart I know I could do the job.Salute L/CPL Johnson.
Semper Fi

tdrt
10-18-10, 11:24 AM
[quote=bgsuwoody;709023]

I know its late, but I'm on deployment. If there is anything being done for rememberance or otherwise and anyone can get an address. I NEED IT. I am hurt right now and I am on a boat with nothing to do to make it right.
quote]

Mike -- please clarify

grizzlytrack
10-18-10, 02:50 PM
Semper Fi. He was a Marine, doing what he trained for. Please tip one for him, he will say hello to Chesty

bgsuwoody
10-20-10, 04:20 AM
Not hurt like physically, but pained by this news...I am on my MEU hanging around and doing nothing

tdrt
10-20-10, 07:10 AM
Not hurt like physically, but pained by this news...I am on my MEU hanging around and doing nothing

Okay. You had me worried for a sec that something happened. Good to hear your physically okay.

jetdawgg
10-20-10, 07:21 AM
All of our hearts are broken:usmc:

yellowwing
10-21-10, 02:21 PM
God Bless RJ

Sgt Leprechaun
10-21-10, 11:14 PM
Damn. I've made the appropriate profile changes. RIP HurricaneRJ. Prayers to you and yours.

ShannonL
10-22-10, 01:24 AM
Safe in the hands of God now! I will remember.

pocatellodave
10-22-10, 10:15 AM
I'm having a really hard time with this one.My family has had a tradegy as well,and I'm about on grief overload for lack of a better word.They have me on a bunch of pills,but they aren't helping much.I'm sorry brothers to bother you with my troubles,but I know you understand.Losing a brother Marine is never easy,and one from my old unit is really hurtful.
Semper Fi

DrZ
10-22-10, 11:03 AM
Semper Fi Marine. You have done your duty. Report to your next duty station with your head held high. They are many Marines there to welcome you home.

I knew him but a second but we have been brothers for a lifetime.

Prayers sent.

charm1110
10-22-10, 12:19 PM
Rest in Peace Brother....
Semper Fi...:flag:

ecfree
10-22-10, 05:06 PM
Hurricane,my brother,you are in a place where there is no war and no pain.....RIP my friend........
Prayers go out to RJ's family.......
SEMPER FI MARINE:iwo:.......................Ed

Lupo22
04-08-11, 08:50 PM
I'll say this again...this seems to be the main thread for him...

This death hit me really hard. I was deployed with 1/8 and with Ray. He was Alpha and I was Weapons. When I first got to the Fleet on 10/23 (an appropriate day for 1/8), Ray found me on here and was at my room that first night to welcome me. He helped me tremendously by adapting to the Fleet, taking me around Jacksonville, and just being a friend for me when I first got here. He helped me move into my new house with my wife and was a true friend to the two of us. He was a great Marine, a great leader and an amazing friend.

When I had heard that a "Johnson" from Alpha was KIA, I was speechless. I prayed for two days that it wasn't Johnson, but at the same time, I knew that he wouldn't want another family to be getting the knock on the door. When I finally found out it was him through the chain, I was devastated.

I took him to his first ever Hurricanes game against UNC. They lost, but we had a great time with my dad and my wife. On the way home, he was talking to my dad and trying to convince him that I'd be fine over in Afghanistan. He told them that since I was a mortarman, I wouldn't be doing much and that'd we both be ok. Well, our platoon had over a 100 kills and over 100 IEDs found, so I guess the whole "we'll be fine, he's a mortarman" thing didn't quite go...we did more 11 work than some of the 11s hehe. Johnson would have been proud. And I'm incredibly proud that he gave his life for the Corps and that, as a squad leader, he led the way still.

God Bless you and your family Ray. I love you and I'll miss you tremendously. Semper Fi, brother.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/13746_183224452259_513757259_3498296_8219624_n.jpg

Lupo22
04-08-11, 08:52 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/13746_183224097259_513757259_3498246_506740_n.jpg

USNAviator
04-08-11, 08:58 PM
Lupo, thank you for the comments and the pictures. Sadly I had completely forgotten about this thread

Lupo22
04-08-11, 09:07 PM
It's ok. It's old. I just got out here to my mom's house for the first time and she showed me the video and I figured I'd look to see if he was remembered on here, since this is our original meeting place.

We just got back from a rough deployment. Other than the casualties, we had a blast (only a grunt could call 7 months of hell a blast lol).

Johnson died doing what he trained and desperately wanted to do...

chulaivet1966
04-08-11, 10:32 PM
I am late to this tribute and can only echo everyone else's comments.
I did not know this Marine but it's certainly the loss of a Brother to me.

My deepest respect and condolences to this Marine, family, friends and those here on this forum.

Tun Tavern
04-09-11, 01:16 AM
My heart is heavy.
Thank you for your ultimate sacrifice, LCpl Johnson.

May you rest in peace.

Bruce59
04-09-11, 07:07 AM
Another Marine reporting Sir. Semper Fi RIP

DRB
04-09-11, 09:37 AM
RIP Marine.

Marine84
04-09-11, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the pics Lupo. If you haven't done so already, you should copy your post on his Facebook page before his brother takes it down. He posted something within the last few weeks that Ray had told him to take it down after so much time after his death.

Lupo22
04-09-11, 10:46 PM
rgr bud...will do

crazymjb
04-10-11, 01:29 AM
RIP

Semper Fi

Mike