PDA

View Full Version : MOS bonus, thoughts?

newyork91
10-13-10, 01:11 PM
Good day,
This morning I was offered two bonuses that would follow up enlistment. The first is a $4,000 bonus for a 0600 MOS, which sounds nice, but being an only child my mother is a little concerned for the life expectancy. ha ha. Anyway, the other bonus was for infantry, I was excited to hear this one, but I would have to sign a 6 year contract, as opposed to my original 4 year contract. Any thoughts, suggestions, or general opinions are welcome. Thanks for your time.

DJ860420
10-13-10, 06:37 PM
My opinion is that if you pick your job based on a bonus then you are an idiot. Sure 4k sounds good now, but wait until you are in year 2 of your contract and hating your job and life. Pick a job by what sounds fun or interesting to do. Remember it is really hard to change jobs during your first enlistment.

newyork91
10-13-10, 06:56 PM
haha agreed.... but these two MOS are the only that interest me, it just so happens they come with a bonus..... I should have worded it differently.

usmc987332
10-13-10, 07:32 PM
The times have really changed. 65 years ago, every Marine was a rifleman first. To change your MOS was possible, but was usually someone else's idea. I wish I had a choice, and I would never wound up as a machine gunner.

usmc987332
10-13-10, 08:05 PM
The times have really changed. 65 years ago, every Marine was a rifleman first. To change your MOS was possible, but was usually someone else's idea. I wish I had a choice, and I would never wound up as a machine gunner.
All BS aside. I loved my job and i loved my A-4.

dizark
10-18-10, 05:35 AM
Being in the 0600 field doesn't mean you have a short life expectancy. All depends on which MOS you get in the 06xx field. I'm a radio operator, and we're often known as sniper targets due to the large antenna that sticks up from us. While this is true, it really depends on if you leave the wire or not or if you're back in the Combat Operations Center (COC) and are standing radio watch.

Backhaus 1103
10-18-10, 06:18 AM
Don't be grunt for 6 years. If you like it that much, reenlist after 4 years for a lot more money than you're getting offered right now.
If you're mom's worried about you being comm, what the he!l does she think about you being in the infantry?
In the end, who cares what she thinks. You're the one who has to wear the uniform, not her.

Supersquishy
10-18-10, 06:24 AM
Good day,
This morning I was offered two bonuses that would follow up enlistment. The first is a $4,000 bonus for a 0600 MOS, which sounds nice, but being an only child my mother is a little concerned for the life expectancy. ha ha. Anyway, the other bonus was for infantry, I was excited to hear this one, but I would have to sign a 6 year contract, as opposed to my original 4 year contract. Any thoughts, suggestions, or general opinions are welcome. Thanks for your time.

I believe your 4 grand will be payed out over your whole enlistment period, not one lump sump then taxed. Think about that too. So you might want to ask your recruiter just in case.

indygti
10-18-10, 06:36 AM
Marine Corps bonuses are a foreign concept to me, but I find it strange that so many people are being offered bonuses when the Marine Corps is overstaffed (or so they say).

Supersquishy
10-18-10, 06:59 AM
Marine Corps bonuses are a foreign concept to me, but I find it strange that so many people are being offered bonuses when the Marine Corps is overstaffed (or so they say).

I read the Fiscal year 2011 bonus, not as big as they used to, but mainly to retain combat experienced Marines.

martinj
10-18-10, 09:38 AM
You know what would be nice? Stop giving out bonuses and give a little bigger budget so I can drive my 1165 more than 6 miles without that POS over heating. Or throw our SARCs a little more money so we can get a proper TCCC course. That would be nice.

indygti
10-18-10, 09:44 AM
I read the Fiscal year 2011 bonus, not as big as they used to, but mainly to retain combat experienced Marines.

thanks for the knowledge :thumbup:

indygti
10-18-10, 09:45 AM
You know what would be nice? Stop giving out bonuses and give a little bigger budget so I can drive my 1165 more than 6 miles without that POS over heating. Or throw our SARCs a little more money so we can get a proper TCCC course. That would be nice.

That takes all of the excitement out of every little thing you do. You never know what's going to happen.

Backhaus 1103
10-18-10, 10:38 AM
Or give the money to units who need it. It would be nice to have a working SAW and not a single shot POS paper weight.