View Full Version : Claim denied issue

Mike326
10-12-10, 03:53 PM
I filed a claim in Jan of 2010 and just received a decision.[/font]
Claimed:
(1) Tinnitus accepted and assigned 10% 'that's fine
(2) IHD due to AO pending 'that's fine
(3) Left Knee (due to shrapnel) denied ??? and no C&P was scheduled

Here's my problem: The two main reasons they gave for denying the claim were that although they could tell from my records that I was in VN, they showed my MOS as a 'postal clerk'. Also they stated that although they saw on my DD214 a purple heart was listed, they did not see where 'any medals or ribbons' had ever been awarded.

Luckily, I had requested 'all of my personnel files' some months ago so I had them to refer to.

I was re-assigneded from 0311 to a postal clerk "the year after I left VN" and they evidently didn't look any deeper than that.
In my personnel records, the section on "Combat History - Expeditions - Awards" was several pages long, and on the very first page it's clearly noted that I was awarded 3 purple hearts, 1 in Apr 67 and 2 in Sep 67 (shrapnel in left knee and right arm).
However, when you look at the last page of Combat History, the bottom half of the page is blank, because all awards are shown on the first page. (once again, they didn't look far enou

Easy enough to correct (I hope). I immediately made copies of the personnel records that were pertinent and mailed a short letter of explanation back along with it, both to the VA and to my VSO.

My question, does this mean because the initial claim "was denied" that it's going to take 1-2 years to get it reviewed again? It seems the examiner was either just being lazy or, more likely overworked, but everything was there in front of him.

Luckily for me I was awarded the 10% for tinnitus because I can qualify for cocational rehab, which is what I was needing the most.

USNAviator
10-12-10, 03:57 PM
Wow,ignore this post. When I first looked it the previous post I couldn't read it.. Seems to be OK now

sgt tony
10-12-10, 04:54 PM
I could be handled quickly but it could take some time.
1. Do you have a VA Rep? Like DAV/VFW/American Legion/Marine Corps League
2. If you do take your info to them and they may be able to talk with your VA rating person
3. If you do not have a VA Rep you might want to get one. Not saying that you will get things wrong that is what they do for us veterans at no cost.
This all could be handled in a short time if worded right.

spotts
10-12-10, 05:17 PM
The good news is that you are in the system now and have at least a 10 percent rating. Send in the paperwork that came with your rating narrative requesting a BVA hearing. Also get in touch with a VSO if you do not already have one.

sgt tony
10-12-10, 05:20 PM
He does not want a BVA hearing all he need to ask for a reconsideration due to new evidence.

Then if they trun it down then the BVA is next.

spotts
10-12-10, 05:25 PM
Im looking at the fastest way for him to have his claim seen again.

hbharrison
10-12-10, 05:45 PM
The VFW, American Legion and DAV can get it done faster than if you try yourself they have been given the green light to take it to the top without all the red tape you have to go around. YOU NEED A REP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! S/F Good Luck

Mike326
10-12-10, 06:25 PM
I do have a VSO. I mailed a copy of the 'letter of disagreement" to the DVA office and a copy to my VSO as well, however, I don't have a lot of confidence in him so far, he seems to have an attitude of "just file the paperwork and then...it is what it is".

Should I expect him to be a little more proactive in following up on whether they are going to reinstate the claim? I had been thinking about going to the VFW chapter here in town and see if they have some advise.