PDA

View Full Version : Poser or confused WW II veteran?

brecon65
10-12-10, 09:16 AM
Here's a link to a letter written by someone who claims to be a decorated WW II veteran. If it's legit, then he deserves some help with his problems. I'm not sure it passes the "smell" test.

http://www.pineisland-eagle.com/page/content.detail/id/510993/World-War-II-vet-down-on-his-luck.html?nav=5049

Sgt Leprechaun
10-13-10, 01:44 AM
Methinks he's a bit confused. Lots of guys (and their families) think they rate stuff...and I've seen tons of so called "MOH" winners whose families really believed that, but it turned out they really got a Purple Heart, or a Bronze Star (which is probably what he means) or a Good Conduct.

There are NO "Pending" Medals of Honor from ANY war that haven't been awarded to living servicemen.

usmc3521
10-13-10, 06:25 PM
100% bullsh*t

usmc3521
10-13-10, 06:28 PM
no one by his name on the MOH list for ww2

usmc987332
10-13-10, 07:14 PM
Here's a link to a letter written by someone who claims to be a decorated WW II veteran. If it's legit, then he deserves some help with his problems. I'm not sure it passes the "smell" test.

http://www.pineisland-eagle.com/page/content.detail/id/510993/World-War-II-vet-down-on-his-luck.html?nav=5049
Medal of Honor which hasn't been received? This sound bogus. I have never heard of a MOH not being awarded to the man himself or to the next of kin. Does he have an article from his home town paper about his heroism dating back 65 years or more. If he doesn't, a copy should be in his local library.

If he can prove the MOH, I'll make a contribution.

USNAviator
10-13-10, 07:33 PM
I didn't notice mention of the MOH the first time, but you are right, a MOH winner would hardly be ignored for 65 years by the powers that be....so that is even more suspicious than I thought.

Check!! I would hate to think this is true. I would also hate to think that this is some sort of scam by this man's family. I think it's pretty much agreed his MOH story isn't valid. Dementia? Don't know but I hope Miss Vickie, his daughter, isn't running a con. Is there any place in the US where you can call without dialing an area code? Because there wasn't one included with the phone number. Just saying

DanM
10-13-10, 07:35 PM
Probably delusional,but there has been at least one MOH awarded 50+ years late.See link for story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/15/us/15baker.html

usmc987332
10-13-10, 07:41 PM
Probably delusional,but there has been at least one MOH awarded 50+ years late.See link for story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/15/us/15baker.html
I don't believe these medals were awarded until after the investigation.

hbharrison
10-13-10, 07:42 PM
I checked some time back about my Fathers records for the Army in WW2 and found that the fire in the records back in the 70's did not burn anything other than the old records of just the Army and no other services so it may be true that he has never received anyhting becuase there is no records to prove anything.

Troutzilla
10-13-10, 08:29 PM
Sounds like a scam to me and a very poorly orchestrated one at that.

Semper Fi
Trout

:flag:

USNAviator
10-13-10, 08:47 PM
Sounds like a scam to me and a very poorly orchestrated one at that.

Semper Fi
Trout

:flag:

:thumbup:

Sgt Leprechaun
10-20-10, 05:41 PM
It's not at all uncommon for vets (esp. WWII ones) to not have been awarded the medals that they earned. Simple reason?

Until 1946, there were NO medals for the ribbons awarded for the European, Asiatic/Pacific, and American Campaigns, WWII victory, and several others. These guys only wanted to get out, and get home, and didn't give much of a rip about the medals that they'd likely never wear anyway. Their DD-214 reflected the AWARDS, they just hadn't gotten the physical medals. After the war, the guys had to actually APPLY to get the medals issued to them. Ads were run all over the place explaining this, (American Legion, VFW, VA, etc) but many just didn't bother.

As far as things like the Bronze Star, an Army reg passed (sometime in 1944 or 45) authorized the award of a Bronze Star to ANY soldier who had earned the CIB or CMB (Combat Medical Badge). But, they had to APPLY for it. This was called a 'conversion' Bronze Star. The citations for these are pretty generic. Idea behind it was mostly due to the massive casaulties the army incurred in Europe during the fall/winter of 1944. That included the officer and NCO ranks (in other words, the people who generally wrote up the awards). The army basically believed that if you had earned a CIB/CMB, then you had to have done something to earn a Bronze Star that likely went unrecognized.

Many of these guys, again, didn't give a rip about it and never bothered to apply. Their grandkids and relatives nowadays, however, DO care and I've seen multiple awards done this way (as a militaria collector).

Didn't think you were going to get some history didja? :)

usmc987332
10-20-10, 07:14 PM
It's not at all uncommon for vets (esp. WWII ones) to not have been awarded the medals that they earned. Simple reason?

Until 1946, there were NO medals for the ribbons awarded for the European, Asiatic/Pacific, and American Campaigns, WWII victory, and several others. These guys only wanted to get out, and get home, and didn't give much of a rip about the medals that they'd likely never wear anyway. Their DD-214 reflected the AWARDS, they just hadn't gotten the physical medals. After the war, the guys had to actually APPLY to get the medals issued to them. Ads were run all over the place explaining this, (American Legion, VFW, VA, etc) but many just didn't bother.

As far as things like the Bronze Star, an Army reg passed (sometime in 1944 or 45) authorized the award of a Bronze Star to ANY soldier who had earned the CIB or CMB (Combat Medical Badge). But, they had to APPLY for it. This was called a 'conversion' Bronze Star. The citations for these are pretty generic. Idea behind it was mostly due to the massive casaulties the army incurred in Europe during the fall/winter of 1944. That included the officer and NCO ranks (in other words, the people who generally wrote up the awards). The army basically believed that if you had earned a CIB/CMB, then you had to have done something to earn a Bronze Star that likely went unrecognized.

Many of these guys, again, didn't give a rip about it and never bothered to apply. Their grandkids and relatives nowadays, however, DO care and I've seen multiple awards done this way (as a militaria collector).

Didn't think you were going to get some history didja? :)
A very good point. I do not know if this is the place, but it should be explored further. Some of you may know about the 1973 fire. Fortunately, most Marine records were salvaged, but it practically destroyed all of the Army's records.

If you were a Marine and your records were burnt and you have lost your 214, you have a problem. Even if you have your 214 it may not be completely correct. For instance, in my own case, my 214 does not reflect my Purple Heart and the Presidential Unit Citation has been marked off.

Although the records surrounding my elegibility for the Purple Heart are there, I never received the Purple Heart. Why? It is all my own fault. About a week before the awards were presented, we were told to go to the Company Office and give the clerk the information, so you could receive your medal. Well, I had been hit between the nose and had severe concussion. After three days in an Army field hospital, I returned to the lines. We had many men who had received multiple wounds and looked like they had been through a meat grinder. My attitude was that I wasn't going to stand up there by those guys and let them pin the same medal on me.

As for the Presidential Unit Citation, it was crossed thru on my 214. Why, I had joined whiled being a member of a Replacement Battalion. Someone decided replacements would only receive The Naval Commendation Ribbion, although I was a member of the 28th Marines within the specified eligibility date.

When I sent my request, I specifically requested a copy of any document with my name on it. It is unbelievable the multitude of documents I received. The person processing my claim was a very diligent Marine. He checked my awards against my records and when I received my package both the Presidential Unit Citation and Purple Heart were included. Just two years earlier, I had extensive surgery to repair the damage done on my nose.

If you happen to be a WWII Vet and have not applied for your awards, please do so. If you are a child, spouse or grandchild of a WWI Vet and cannot find your Vets awards, you can acquire duplicates if previously awarded and the awards with they have never been received. When you apply, be sure to make it plain you want a copy of everything that pertains to him.

If it turns out your Vet was entitled to receive the Combat Action Ribbon, you will need to make a separate applicaation for it. Wait until you have received the other information

If you have problems applying for the awards and information, contact the local VA and they will be glad to assist you. You can also contact your local Order of the Purple Heart, VFW, or American Legion. The will be glad to assist you.

Do this as soon as possible, your Vets original records may have been destroyed, and every day you wait will make it more difficult to reconstruct.