PDA

View Full Version : OSO advised..

xbsnguy
10-11-10, 02:26 PM
Hello Marines,

I am currently in college and in the process of filling out my PLC application. While talking with my OSO, I was advised that if I checked "Aviation", I would have a higher chance of being selected -- due to some dearth of Aviation applicants. I told him I wanted to go "Ground", but he assured me that after OCS I can simply transfer from Aviation to Ground, near instantaneously.

My question is: Is this the truth, and is he giving honest advice? Or is it a ploy?

The reason I ask is because my OSO-Assistant informed me that if I were to fail OCS, then I would owe nothing. I later found out that the stipulation is that if you wash-out for any reason and take the financial aid money(paid trip, other expenses, etc.), then you owe the gov't the money back or 2 years of enlistment.

Though I appreciate that my OSO-Assistant did not lie to me by any means, he didn't tell the whole story. So I want to confirm that my OSO is giving me good and full advice, before I select Aviation, a field I do not want.

Thank you for your time and service,

Xbsnguy

Quinbo
10-11-10, 02:45 PM
Just as there is no shortage of recruits that want to be recon rambo sniper there is no shortage of candidates that want to be pilots. All lieutenants are trained in how to lead an infantry platoon....

USNAviator
10-11-10, 03:07 PM
Hello Marines,

I am currently in college and in the process of filling out my PLC application. While talking with my OSO, I was advised that if I checked "Aviation", I would have a higher chance of being selected -- due to some dearth of Aviation applicants. I told him I wanted to go "Ground", but he assured me that after OCS I can simply transfer from Aviation to Ground, near instantaneously.

My question is: Is this the truth, and is he giving honest advice? Or is it a ploy?

The reason I ask is because my OSO-Assistant informed me that if I were to fail OCS, then I would owe nothing. I later found out that the stipulation is that if you wash-out for any reason and take the financial aid money(paid trip, other expenses, etc.), then you owe the gov't the money back or 2 years of enlistment.

Though I appreciate that my OSO-Assistant did not lie to me by any means, he didn't tell the whole story. So I want to confirm that my OSO is giving me good and full advice, before I select Aviation, a field I do not want.

Thank you for your time and service,

Xbsnguy

If you haven't already done so, read this thoroughly. Sign nothing until you are completely confidant in what you're signing

http://www.marineofficerprograms.com...-class-plc.php (http://www.marineofficerprograms.com/pages/platoon-leaders-class-plc.php)

A shortage of Naval/Marine Air Candidates? I think not. Are you selecting aviation just to increase your chances of being selected for PLC?

xbsnguy
10-11-10, 03:15 PM
Thank you to Bulkyker & MOS1310 for the responses,

I have not yet made a selection on paper, but in my last meeting with my OSO, he informed me that his higher up's told him that "if a candidate selects aviation, then they'll be almost automatically accepted."

I'm not one to shirk from a challenge, but I understand the selection process is competitive and I want to weigh my options.

USNAviator
10-11-10, 03:27 PM

I have not yet made a selection on paper, but in my last meeting with my OSO, he informed me that his higher up's told him that "if a candidate selects aviation, then they'll be almost automatically accepted."

I'm not one to shirk from a challenge, but I understand the selection process is competitive and I want to weigh my options.

If it's the case that every candidate selects aviation gets accepted, why would anyone select anything else? And aren't you doing a disservice to others who truly do want to go aviation but upon applying only find those slots full? PLC typically selects about 250-300 candidates broken down into 4-6 platoons

Yes I think it's a good idea to think long and hard about your decision

USNAviator
10-11-10, 03:41 PM

You might find this of interest as well

Aviation

Aviation guarantees are available in PLC. Those who qualify receive up to 25 hours of flight training while still in college, in order to familiarize themselves with general flight before going to military flight school, following commission. In addition to the other requirements for PLC, applicants must achieve a passing score on the United States Navy and Marine Corps Flight Aptitude Battery. Additionally, applicants must be able to pass the United States Navy Flight Class Physical (http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm).

Just by signing up for Aviation does not mean you'll be going off to P-Cola. They will find out soon enough if you have what it takes to be an Aviator long before you'll graduate. I had my private pilots license before I went through PLC so I skipped the intro school, which is essentially a private flight school to teach you the basics and have you solo

So what happens if you bilge out of the Aviation option while you're still in college? Don't know but you better ask your OSO

xbsnguy
10-11-10, 03:48 PM
You bring up a good point, MOS1310, I will admit the ethical side of the issue didn't cross me. But now that you've mentioned it, the issue has been clarified.

I'm going to sign up for Ground. It is what I want, and I shouldn't sign up for something I don't want, in addition to the ethical question you raised.

Cutting corners doesn't strike me as something a Marine Officer should do. And If I can't appreciate the challenge of competing for a Ground contract and use it to uplift my determination even more, then I'm not Officer material.

Thanks again.

:flag:

USNAviator
10-11-10, 09:16 PM
You bring up a good point, MOS1310, I will admit the ethical side of the issue didn't cross me. But now that you've mentioned it, the issue has been clarified.

I'm going to sign up for Ground. It is what I want, and I shouldn't sign up for something I don't want, in addition to the ethical question you raised.

Cutting corners doesn't strike me as something a Marine Officer should do. And If I can't appreciate the challenge of competing for a Ground contract and use it to uplift my determination even more, then I'm not Officer material.

Thanks again.

:flag:

If that's what you'll do then you're more than own your way.If you take the easy way, you'll regret it and not be much of a leader

Good luck to you and check back in and let all know how you are doing

03Mike
10-14-10, 10:25 AM
A couple of thoughts here... PLC offers three options: Aviation, Ground, or Law.

Law is pretty self expanitory - you'll end up a Marine JAG.

Aviation guarantees that you'll have a chance to go to Pensicola.... not that you'll go, but that you'll have a chance to go and try to become a Naval Aviator or Naval Flight Officer.

Ground guarantees that you'll not be a Naval Aviator or Naval Flight Officer (pretty much everything else is on the table).

I knew many officer candidates who signed up under an aviation contract simply to keep their options open - being a pilot sounds pretty cool (right?). I also knew many who never made it to P'cola.

My personal experience - I signed up under an Aviation contract for PLC. I took the 25 hours of flight training while a senior in college and had a blast. When I got to The Basic School (TBS), two things happened. One, there was an abundance of lieutenants there with aviation contracts, so the flight surgeons were finding imaginative ways to DQ people (NPQ - Not Physically Qualified), and two, I had my eyes opened to "THE TRUTH" about the nobility of the infantry. So I approached my company commander at TBS and told him that I wished to voluntarily drop my aviation contract if I could be guaranteed a slot as an infantry officer. He chuckled a little and said "sure". Now, nothing is guaranteed - I was also in the top 10 of my TBS class, and MOS assignments are done by class rank and by what they referred to as the "quality spread".

So, bottom line on advice - the aviation contract is not a guarantee to be a pilot or NFO. It's a guarantee at a chance to become one. Second, a ground contract is what opens you to an MOS assigned according to "the needs of the Marine Corps". No one goes in to PLC or TBS guaranteed of any MOS. You could end up an infantry officer, artillery officer, supply officer, aviation maintenance officer, communications officer, etc.... Your profession, once you are commissioned, is to be an officer of Marines. Your MOS is merely your job/assignment, and that can change. In my experience, although my OQR said that I was an 0302, I spent time as a logistics officer, a public affairs officer, and as whatever else I was tasked with.

If you know that you don't want to be a Naval Aviator or a Naval Flight Officer, then by all means, sign up on the PLC ground contract. Go in with your eyes open and understand that your profession, regardless of MOS is to be an officer of Marines, which is a privilege.

xbsnguy
10-14-10, 02:28 PM
Thank you for the insight, 03Mike.

My prefered MOS is Ground Intelligence. Does the Marine Corps give any consideration as to your list of prefered MOS's, or is it completely superficial and they will assign you as they need you, even if it is not on your list?

I turned in my application the other day and have set up a date for the MEPS Physical, this coming Monday - 5:40am sharp! The Marines at the Selection Office have been making a big deal of it, so I'm somewhat apprehensive.

I'll post how it went.

03Mike
10-14-10, 06:16 PM
The Corps will consider your preferences... BUT only so far.

First and foremost, it depends on what the Corps needs (you'll hear that a lot). There may or may not be any intel slots available when you hit the halfway point at TBS - or they may only be on slot, or two. You get the picture.

Generally, they'll publish available MOS slots sometime between half-way / three-quarter way through TBS. Then they'll take your preferences for MOS and duty station.

They then break up the class by class rank - a combination of academic scores, PFT scores, leadership scores, etc... Just like college, you'll have a class rank, but it is more than just academics. So, just for an example, let's say they break your TBS class up into thirds - the top third, the middle third, and the bottom third. They'll take a quick look at everyone's preferences and fit them where they can. The issue comes down to when they have 50 lieutenants all say that they want the 30 available infantry slots - not everyone can get them. Likewise, only 3 say that they want the admin officer slot and there are 10 slots. You can figure that some of those 20 that wanted infantry are going to end up in admin. The Corps is smart and they won't assign the bottom 7 lieutenants who wanted infantry to admin - then you'll end up with 3 very good admin officers and a handful of mediocre ones. So, they'll break up the overages and underages in MOS slots amongst the top third, middle third and bottom third (or however they decide to break up your class). So, for example, 30 infantry slots and 10 admin slots - figure it would be something like 15 infantry slots to the top third, 10 to the middle third, and 5 to the bottom third. The 10 admin slots - figure 5 to the top third, 3 to the middle third, and 2 to the bottom third. They'll match you up to your preferences as much as they can, but the needs of the Marine Corps take precedence (get used to it).

Also, your TBS company staff officers have veto authority - although they'll use it only rarely. Let's say that the number one guy in your TBS class really wants to be an infantry officer - and the staff knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that while this guy might be smart, he has no business leading infantry Marines in combat - this guy will get the veto and may get his second or third choice, or may end up with one of those five admin slots mentioned above.

Now, keep in mind, that I'm just making up the numbers for the "quality spread". It could be thirds, it could be halves, it could be quarters - it all depends.

Bottom line - I have two pieces of advice:

1. You goal should be to serve your country as an officer of Marines -and your MOS should be secondary.

2. Do your best - TBS isn't college, it's serious stuff... the most serious thing you will have done up until that time. Don't worry, MOS school will be even more serious - especially if you got to the Infantry Officer's Course. Plan on studying in the evenings, read extra, research just like you're doing a big paper or project in college. Some guys will want to go out on the town every night or go down to the club for beers - that's okay on occasion, but as an officer of Marines, your greatest weapon is your brain. Don't gaff it off - do that in college.

USNAviator
10-14-10, 06:48 PM
A couple of thoughts here... PLC offers three options: Aviation, Ground, or Law.

Law is pretty self expanitory - you'll end up a Marine JAG.

Aviation guarantees that you'll have a chance to go to Pensicola.... not that you'll go, but that you'll have a chance to go and try to become a Naval Aviator or Naval Flight Officer.

Ground guarantees that you'll not be a Naval Aviator or Naval Flight Officer (pretty much everything else is on the table).

I knew many officer candidates who signed up under an aviation contract simply to keep their options open - being a pilot sounds pretty cool (right?). I also knew many who never made it to P'cola.

My personal experience - I signed up under an Aviation contract for PLC. I took the 25 hours of flight training while a senior in college and had a blast. When I got to The Basic School (TBS), two things happened. One, there was an abundance of lieutenants there with aviation contracts, so the flight surgeons were finding imaginative ways to DQ people (NPQ - Not Physically Qualified), and two, I had my eyes opened to "THE TRUTH" about the nobility of the infantry. So I approached my company commander at TBS and told him that I wished to voluntarily drop my aviation contract if I could be guaranteed a slot as an infantry officer. He chuckled a little and said "sure". Now, nothing is guaranteed - I was also in the top 10 of my TBS class, and MOS assignments are done by class rank and by what they referred to as the "quality spread".

So, bottom line on advice - the aviation contract is not a guarantee to be a pilot or NFO. It's a guarantee at a chance to become one. Second, a ground contract is what opens you to an MOS assigned according to "the needs of the Marine Corps". No one goes in to PLC or TBS guaranteed of any MOS. You could end up an infantry officer, artillery officer, supply officer, aviation maintenance officer, communications officer, etc.... Your profession, once you are commissioned, is to be an officer of Marines. Your MOS is merely your job/assignment, and that can change. In my experience, although my OQR said that I was an 0302, I spent time as a logistics officer, a public affairs officer, and as whatever else I was tasked with.

If you know that you don't want to be a Naval Aviator or a Naval Flight Officer, then by all means, sign up on the PLC ground contract. Go in with your eyes open and understand that your profession, regardless of MOS is to be an officer of Marines, which is a privilege.

Outstanding post Mike. You explained better than I did and I went through PLC air option. Only 33 years ago ;)

The air option is only a chance not a guarantee and I think this individual has decided to go ground which they wanted in the first place

xbsnguy
10-19-10, 10:25 PM
So I came back from MEPS on Monday and got green sheeted.

The doctor was concerned about my Pectus Excavatum(it's nowhere as bad as the pictures on the internet) potentially getting in the way of my breathing and causing irregular heart activity. I'm due to come back on Friday to get a chest X-ray/EKG and take a Pulmonary Function Test.

I don't believe it should be a problem, because I have never had trouble breathing while exercising, never had shortness of breath, and can outrun most of my friends. As for his concerns about my heart activity, I never had chest pains or anything irregular, as far as I know. I am pretty active. It seems that the doctor wants to be safe rather than sorry.

Also, he wants a consult with the Ophthalmologist about my left eye's weak visual acuity. I admit my vision in my left eye isn't anywhere 20/20 and isn't easily correctable(I'm not sure if it is, at all), but I don't have problems going about my daily life. I can drive, I've fired firearms before at targets, I have peripheral vision, my eye doesn't just wander by itself, etc. Also, my right eye has 20/20 vision.
Should I be concerned?