PDA

View Full Version : This PFC has some questions!

USMC Sokol
10-11-10, 07:34 AM
Semper Fi Marines. I just graduated from PI on Friday and I'm still a little unsure of a few things. I was hoping to get a few answers?

Thanks!!

1. For service uniforms, how many of each shirt should I have? (bravo & charlie) Out of our uniforms that we got issued, one of the Service Bravo shirt didn't get a chevron sewed on. I'm guessing that means we should have at least one without a chevron? For some reason that doesn't really sound right to me. Could someone clarify this? When I get to my first duty station (or earlier if possible) should I just get it tailored and have them sew the chevrons on? Or are we supposed to have one without chevrons?

2. We also got issued a dress blues garrison cover (cloth fabric), if that's what it's called...lol. Our Drill Instructors said that we should buy the vinyl cover instead, but they said it's a lot of $ but worth it. How much are they?

3. I'm curious as to what exactly happens if you don't re-qualify on the rifle range out in the Fleet Marine Corps. I heard you only get one day of practice, then the next day is qualification. I also heard you can get an NJP if you don't qual!? Could someone provide this Marine with some information on this? I'm not really the best shooter so I'm a bit nervous about it

4. How often should Service and Dress Blue uniforms be turned in to get washed?

I'm sure I have 1,000 more questions, but that's all I can think of right now. lol

:flag:
PFC Sokol

BR34
10-11-10, 07:48 AM
For the most part it looks like you're just a ball of nerves worrying about things that don't really need to be worried about.

At boot camp they don't tailor all of your uniforms. I'm guessing they do this to cut down on costs and time. When you get to MOS school you should have the remainder of your shirts fixed.

It's been a while since I bought my cover but I think it was around 40-50 dollars. Really not that bad.

If you don't requal your score will be zeroed out and you will never get promoted.

You can bring your uniforms to the dry cleaner whenever you like. There's no set time.

Oh, and you don't have to speak in third person anymore. Relax!

elliscraig12
10-11-10, 12:15 PM
Do yourself a favor. Put your boot camp issue uniforms in your wall locker and don't touch them. Go out and buy some used ones your size and wear them everyday. Especially cammies. At one time I had around 6 extra sets of cammies. This way you don't wear out your good ones and when you have a wall locker inspection you'll be ready. As far as your cover goes, I've heard the same thing. Failing to requall? I can't really remember anyone failing to requall, and I was an armorer for 10 yrs. Yes,technically they can give you office hours for that. Will they? How much do you **** your command off. You shouldn't be that nervous about it. You have 1000s of questions and a Plt. SGT. Sqd Ldr and so on. Go to them. That's why they're there. Don't be afraid to ask questions. That's their job. NCOs are there to help you develop as a Marine. Take advantage of this, it'll help you out in the long run. P.S. Don't lol when you have a question. You should be serious when asking questions like this. That way people will take you serious. Good luck and SEMPER FI.

Quinbo
10-11-10, 12:27 PM
The vinyl covers look better but it is not essential that you have one. The one you were issued is all you need.

If you go unq on the range you can be not reccomended for promotion. Reserve units routinely conduct annual requal over a drill weekend. Hopefully the regulars still use a full week for re-qual.

If you are getting close to Lance then just wait on the tailor. It would kinda suck to shell out the cash to get PFC sewn on only to turn around a week later and pay again to get Lcpl sewn on.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-12-10, 12:00 AM
As I've told plenty of 'my' Marines upon checking in...many with these questions:

1: Go to the nearest USMC thrift store, or even Ebay, and get yourself a couple of 'bravo' 'charlie' etc shirts and trousers. Use those for everyday wear. Get your 'boot camp' uniforms 100 percent up to speed (and that includes all chevrons, buttons, etc sewn on) and then don't touch 'em. Same goes for socks, t-shirts, underwear, ties, ANYthing that is required for an inspection. Get that crap now (or save the stuff you have that is still good), put it in a bucket, properly folded and marked, and LEAVE IT ALONE. This will pay off if you only ever do one "Junk on the bunk" in your entire 4 year career. While everone else is spending big bucks to replace/repair uniforms, get them cleaned, pressed, etc., you'll be done.

2: You do NOT need a 'vinyl' cover. If you so desire to get one, as I said, first try Ebay, then hit your local Thrift store on base.

3: Bulk' is correct. If you are close to Lance, wait on that shirt. If not, then go ahead and get it done. Remember what I said in #1, above.

4: Failing to qualify on the range is a big no no. Go 'Unq' and you are hosed. But don't worry about it just yet. You'll be fine.

5: Dry clean your uniforms 'as needed'. Once that's done, replace the crappy wire hangers they are on with good WOODEN hangers, which will last you 20 years or more. Buy quality and it lasts. Inspectors love 'em.

Hopefully, that helps some. Enjoy your leave!

USMC Sokol
10-12-10, 05:27 AM
Thank you for all the answers

I'm not a bad shooter or anything..just not a GREAT one

Backhaus 1103
10-12-10, 06:09 AM
I'm just going to say this about the range in the fleet...pit love!! You'll qual, be it from your shooting or the guy in the pit stabing the black with his pinky finger.

Backhaus 1103
10-12-10, 06:26 AM
I'm just going to say this about the range in the fleet...pit love!! You'll qual, be it from your shooting or the guy in the pit stabing the black with his pinky finger.

RYDERKUR
10-12-10, 08:45 AM
Gotta love that good Marine butt lovin'. :D