PDA

View Full Version : Home schooling waver

M4Sherman
10-10-10, 10:01 PM
Okay to start off here is the situation. I have been home schooled by my parents since I was seven years old through home-life academy. Recently I have graduated and received a diploma that my recruiter said he can use IF I get a sworn statement/waiver from my parent that states they did in-fact teach me for at-least 180 days and X amount of hours.

Now my question is what exactly does this document need to say in order for it to be valid? I would ask my recruiter but his office is almost forty miles away and I misplaced his card.

Thanks
Matthew Howell

usmc3521
10-10-10, 10:17 PM
you need a high school diploma, if you do not have one you will not get into the Marines. If you took a true home schooling course it would be through your high school, earning credits etc and you would have gotten a diploma from your high school that you would have attended.

A sworn statement from your parents doesnt mean anything, you need a DIPLOMA from a REAL highschool and transcripts. If you don thave those forget it.

You ever heard of google? Its a really useful tool, maybe you could look up your recruiters number that way, wow am I a genius

M4Sherman
10-10-10, 10:23 PM
I have tried google and I could not find the paper work. Now I do have a diploma with transcripts that the recruiter says he can use but he said he also needs the statement. Also I am supposed to see him either tomorrow or Wednesday before I head to work but by the time his office even opens tomorrow both of my parents will be at work. I would like to have all of this paper work ready for him as soon as possible but since today is Sunday I do not believe he would appreciate the call double so since it is 10pm.

usmc3521
10-10-10, 10:27 PM
well no sh*t sherlock, nobody said call him right frickin now. You need to speak with him regarding the paperwork you need.

Lisa 23
10-10-10, 10:35 PM
Home schooling
http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000033.asp

US Military Enlistment Standards
Education
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enleducation.htm

usmc3521
10-10-10, 10:41 PM
Home schooling
http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000033.asp

US Military Enlistment Standards
Education
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enleducation.htm

:thumbup:

M4Sherman
10-12-10, 09:47 AM
I went by and picked up the papers from my recruiter Yesterday but my parents refuse to sign them. Anyway looks like it is college for me

Backhaus 1103
10-12-10, 11:11 AM
but my parents refuse to sign them. Anyway looks like it is college for me

Uhhhhhhhhhh.........

M4Sherman
10-12-10, 12:05 PM
It looks like at the very least it will push me back to october of next year at the minimum rather than March. but luckily I only need one semester of credits to get in but it still sucks. Right now I am really disappointed that they didn't let me go to a public high school but it was their choice

usmc3521
10-12-10, 02:17 PM
kill them while they sleep, problem solved

sgt tony
10-12-10, 05:03 PM
That is not a proper response usmc3521.
EVEN KIDDING

usmc3521
10-12-10, 05:43 PM
im not politically correct Ssgt.

How old are you m4sherman? Especially since mommy and daddy still tell you what to do. Please tell me you are not 18. If your goal is to become a Marine, go for it. If your parents tell you no, tell them to F*ck off . They will come around once your gone and possibly graduating from usmc boot camp. If they dont come around f*ck them, you dont need that sh*t in your life. Its your life, make it what YOU want, not what mommy and daddy want.

Old Marine
10-12-10, 07:33 PM
M4Sherman: Do not listen to what USMC3521 is posting. Respect your parents, afterall they are the ones who brought you to this earth and raised you the best they knew how.
Whatever you do, always respect your parents and being respectfull will tke you a long way in the military. Good luck to you.

M4Sherman
11-20-10, 12:28 PM
Well things have gone to hell for me so and I am having it with just living expenses much less time or money for college. Would their be any chance of joining if I had a GED?

ItalianBeef
11-20-10, 02:13 PM
In this current recruiting environment, probably not. You'll need at least 15 college credits (CLEP doesn't count) before a recruiter will agree to submit a waiver. Look for scholarships, student loans or work study programs that will allow you to take a semester or two of college so you can make up for the lack of degree. Plus you have the added benefit of not having to rely on your parents signing anything. If you don't want to go to college, I don't have any advice for you. But you should; partly because it'll be good for your to learn, partly because it'll get you started toward a degree so you'll have better options when you get out and also you'll have a slight advantage of having lived on your own and taking responsibility for yourself unlike the rest of your platoon that probably still have everything they own in their parents house.

dhuntington
11-20-10, 02:45 PM
My son is able to get into the Corps with a ASVAB score of 50. Unfortunately, English is his 3rd language (adopted from Sudan) so he is having difficulty getting the score. However, they have told him that as soon as he can score 50 on the test, he's in.

itzs4m
11-22-10, 02:04 PM
just because you don't have a HS diploma doesn't mean that you are shunned from joining the Marine Corps.

If your parents want you to go to college, go to college at the same time do NROTC or PLC or once you graduate college go to OCS to become a Marine Officer! Once you get your college diploma your parents can't say no to you.

xjintx
11-23-10, 08:20 AM
Home schooling... does it teach spelling?

dhuntington
11-23-10, 09:46 AM
Considering the fact that home schooled children win a disproportionate number of national spelling (also math, geography, etc) bees, I think they doteach spelling. Fact: The average home schooled student is two grade levels above his public schooled peer. My son, who is entering Parris Island in January, earned his Associates degree (criminal justice) with a 3.94 gpa.

xjintx
11-23-10, 09:49 AM
I realize those statistics...

I was being sarcastic that he is requesting a "waver".

May I ask why your son is going enlisted instead of the officer career path?

dhuntington
11-23-10, 11:24 AM
He is going in Security Forces/Grunt. He feels that he shouldn't immediately be able to tell people what to do without prior experience. So he plans to do his first tour as enlisted and then become an officer who should be able to command respect on his own merits and experience rather just just on his rank.

xjintx
11-23-10, 11:27 AM
Sounds like he has the plan!!!