PDA

View Full Version : Under what circumstances does a Marine get a secondary MOS

Popsicles89
10-10-10, 02:05 PM
Can someone shed some light on this, i don't understand how some Marines I've met have a secondary MOS.

Zulu 36
10-10-10, 02:33 PM
Can someone shed some light on this, i don't understand how some Marines I've met have a secondary MOS.

A couple of ways. Your command may want you to cross-train into another MOS within your field, such as: you're a radio operator now, and they send you to school to also be a radio repairman. You'll end up with radio repair as a secondary.

Or, if you re-enlist and lateral to a new primary MOS, you will still have your old primary as a secondary MOS.

Or, you have a school you would like to attend that will give you a secondary MOS, and it has usefulness to your unit, perhaps your CO will send you if you ask.

There are other ways, but these examples should give you the gist. I had two secondary MOS' when I was in and I worked in all three of them at the same time.

Garyius
10-10-10, 02:49 PM
OJT time which credited for the MOS, but returned to primary MOS also does it.

Quinbo
10-10-10, 02:50 PM
Google the MOS 8911

Backhaus 1103
10-10-10, 06:36 PM
It also works for b billets like drill instructor, recruiter, MSG. You serve the contract for that MOS, then when you're done, you got back to your original MOS. I think range coach and PMI are also secondary MOSs. If you're a range coach then you still do your PMOS, like 0311, but when your unit needs range coaches for the rifle range you'll do it. But you can also do it full time at MCRD or Q town.

Supersquishy
10-10-10, 06:40 PM
When they say "everyone going aircrew raise your hand", then they say "Put them down because school is backed up 9 months, you are going to your Secondary." Then they say "If you got issued flight boots, turn them in now! "... Sucks

Edit: This guy I went to MCT with was all about Helo Crewchief as all of us were, but he cryed his friggin eyes out like a baby, Hilarious!

Sgt Leprechaun
10-11-10, 11:51 PM
LOL.

I"m another example:

I carry the following MOS's, with my 'primary' MOS being first:

0231, 2531, 0311.

In the 'old' days, this was a 'billet' MOS, meaning you only had it while you filled the job:

Finally, there are 'qualifier' MOS's for those of us with 'special' skills or schools, and I also have one of those:

I've attended schools for all of the above except the 'billet' MOS.

I've also got, from my reserve time, the army MOS of 11-B. And the Air Force MOS of 4B031.

(The army MOS I got because of my Marine MOS school...but the Air Force sent me to MOS school to get that one).