PDA

View Full Version : A Few Good Men!!

Phantom Blooper
10-10-10, 07:27 AM
Ask a Marine what's so special about the Marines and the answer would be "esprit de corps", an unhelpful French phrase that means exactly what it looks like - the spirit of the Corps...but what is...

Old Marine
10-10-10, 10:33 AM
Where the hell is that Recruiter???

Give me the paper and pen and lead me to the dotted line.

OOOORAHHHHH. GUNG HO. kill, kill, kill

R Landry
10-10-10, 10:42 AM
We've all heard the arguments as to who are the better warriers, the Marines or the Army. Below is a statement from a US Army veteran on this issue. Made me proud to be thought of so highly by an Army veteran.

Alright, people. There seems to be alot of back and forth, so I will do my best to get this discussion evened out, so to speak.

I myself was in the US Army. 82nd Airborne, and Infantry. I left the service after three deployments (twice to Afghanistan and once in Iraq) at the rank of Sergeant.
We were replaced by the Marines in Al Fallujah in late March of 2004, and less than a week later, they became locked in a bloody battle that cost many lives. Does that mean that the US Army was better than the Marines? No. It means that the enemy recognized different uniforms and put two and two together, that they were new personnel and unfamiliar with the streets. They used it to their advantage.

But, that aside, there are different portions you have to examine when looking at who is "better." Basic Training/Boot Camp: Army Basic Training is split into five different bases: Fort Benning, GA for infantry, Fort Knox, KY for armor, Fort Sill, OK for Artillery, Fort Leonardwood for Military Police and Fort Jackson, SC for other. Please, keep in mind there are other jobs trained for at these bases but the ones I named were the ones that came to mind. Army training is "supposed" to make all soldiers combat-ready but it doesn't. From what I have seen, read, researched, and heard, Marine Corps Boot Camp does that for all marines, regardless of their jobs.

In my time in the Army, I have seen some jacked up POGs (person other than grunt)that were active duty, reserves, or national guard. I was appalled that they were wearing the same uniform I was wearing and that they represented the Army. If they came into enemy contact I would bet my last dollar that they would throw down their weapon and run away. That is how alot of soldiers are in non-combat units are (again, from what I've seen). The Marines aren't like that. If I was in a firefight to the death and knew it was my last chance to kill as many bad guys as I could, I would rather have a USMC mechanic next to me rather than an Army Mechanic, because I have seen firsthand that their motto of "everyone is a rifleman first" is more true than most people give them credit for.

Is this to say there aren't studs in the Combat Support and Combat Service Support segments of the Army? No, I am sure there are. But, the Marines are trained differently as a whole and all support each other completely. The Army doesn't. In the Army if you aren't infantry, you are crap. Then if you aren't airborne infantry, you aren't crap. Then if you aren't in my brigade, battalion, company, platoon, ect. You get the idea. It was pounded into our heads at Bragg that your individual unit is better than others. While I see this is true to a point when it comes to combat efficiency and the infantry...it drives a wedge between the Army soldiers in so many areas. If the Army soldiers banded together like Marines did and were like, "regardless of what your job is, we are all soldiers and will fight like we are infantry," then we would be able to shed the bad image given to us by people just looking to do the minimum because they can't get a job or they can't get away from crime in their neighborhood or their parents are kicking them out of their house and they don't want to go to college.

Lastly, I was airborne infantry with the US Army and was proud of my unit, its history, and being a soldier in the US Army. But, not many are in the Army, most just don't give a $#!% and that is where the Army, as a whole, falls short of the Marines.

doc h fmf
10-10-10, 12:05 PM
How True Chuck!!
Like I Said Before It Was An Honor And Privilege To Serve With Our Nations Finest .

Semper Fi My Brother

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

hbharrison
10-10-10, 01:17 PM
Ooooorah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Semper Fi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SGT DDS
10-10-10, 02:11 PM
Best article I have read to date "Ask a Marine" on the difference between Marines and all other services. Hey it is what it is and we don't take a step back for anyon on that.
Great job Marine...."Semper Fi" SGT DDS

Ray Merrell
07-28-11, 07:19 AM
A very good man...who worked WITH the Marines.

Sir Jacob Vouza

In the World War II Campaign Jacob Vouza a Solomon Islander who distinguished himself by his exceptional valour and intergrity.

He had served in the Solomons Islands' Armed Constabulary for 25 years and had retired when, in 1942 at the age of 50 years, he volunteered to work with Captain Martin Clemens, the District Officer on Guadalcanal, as a member of the coastwatching team.

When the Japanese invaded Guadalcanal he was the first of the Coastwatchers to offer his help to the 1st Marine Division, United States Marine Corps, as a freedom fighter.

For his heroism the Marines awarded Jacob Vouza the Silver Star, and the British, the George Medal. He organized scouts and carriers for the Marines 2nd Raider Battalion Commanded by Lt. Col. Evans Fordyce Carlson. He was later awarded the U.S. Legion of Merit. Her Majesty the Queen knighted him into the Order of the British Empire. He was the first Solomon Islander, after the Governor General, to receive a knighthood. He died in 1984.