PDA

View Full Version : Gettin a motorcycle

sharkeyes
10-09-10, 04:31 PM
Hey guys, i'm going to be buying a motorcycle sometime in the next week and i'm wondering the requirements needed to ride on base. Up until recently i thought i had to take the basic riders course but now i'm hearing that since i already have my motorcycle licence i dont have to do that and i go straight to the advanced classes. does anyone know the truth behind that or if i am missing something?

BTW this is not my first bike not even close. I raced before i joined the Marines.

LandsNGrooves
10-09-10, 04:34 PM
It's a lot of handache. Talk to yours highers. Remember they can only strongly suggjest you not get one, but they cant tell you out right you cant. You will get out of work tho for mandatory rides.

CMC elect Amos is NOT a fan or motorcycles FYI.

Supersquishy
10-09-10, 04:47 PM
CMC elect Amos is NOT a fan or motorcycles FYI.

Does that mean back to road guard vests???:thumbdown

sharkeyes
10-09-10, 04:50 PM
god i hope not. studies have shown that its actually more dangerous because drives target fixate on them and as a result actually move towards them. Same principal with the flashing headlights.

benw2200
10-09-10, 05:06 PM
Just don't gaff off whatever your higher ups tell you to do, in terms of motorcycle safety classes or whatever. I'm just a weekend warrior so I don't know how they do things on the active side, but one of my buddies got NJPed for riding his little 250 rebel to the drill center without having the safety course. He's a PFC now haha.. its kind of sh*tty for us because they tell us to have the $225 safety course but don't pay for it. Don't get me wrong, I think the safety course is a good idea even if it wasn't required, but I still think it sucks that they require it, but won't compensate you for it.

Also, last I heard, you didn't have to wear the road guard vest while riding on base anymore.. does anyone have any more current info?

1stRad2671
10-09-10, 06:44 PM
god i hope not. studies have shown that its actually more dangerous because drives target fixate on them and as a result actually move towards them. Same principal with the flashing headlights.

The one time I've been rear-ended in over 250,000 miles of riding was while on base and wearing the vest. I wasn't a hard hit thankfully. I would always take the damn thing off once off base.

LandsNGrooves
10-09-10, 08:59 PM
Does that mean back to road guard vests???:thumbdown

No. Lets just say if you came in monday with a barracks cut, his version of"problem fixed" is to just cut you head off apossed to just telling you to fix it 2night.