PDA

View Full Version : A little help from pooles and members.

Kevin691
10-09-10, 01:29 PM
Hey guys,
I'm not quote unquote a poole just yet but I have qualified and I'm just waiting around on a tattoo waiver so I can DEP in. I was really into joining the Corps when I first went into MEPs and all the poole functions but now that I'm waiting on this waiver I am starting to lose the motivation I once had. Any advice or suggestions? Thank you.

Steve018
10-09-10, 01:32 PM
There are some good youtube videos out there (I cant pull any out of emory but I'm sure someone will post one), try not to lose that fire! Read some motivating Marine stories or something. Sorry for the lousy info, are you losing motivation completely for the Marine Corps or just the fact that you might not get that waiver passed?

Kevin691
10-09-10, 01:37 PM
Not in the Corps itself or even the waiver, it's just I'm losing the motivation to keep running and working myself to be in shape I don't know I just feel as if it's going to be forever.

jc8791
10-09-10, 01:58 PM
Not in the Corps itself or even the waiver, it's just I'm losing the motivation to keep running and working myself to be in shape I don't know I just feel as if it's going to be forever.

You just have to be patient, and remember why YOU chose to join the elite, The United States Marine Corps. Trust me I know. I'm going to tell you a little story about my situation I was in.

I have always been interested in joining the USMC. However, I put it off right after High School due to the fact that I wanted to give college a try. So after I completed my first year on campus, it was still in my heart and I didn't want to have any regrets. So when I got back home, I walked in the recruiting office in May of 2009. Took the practice ASVAB, and my recruiter answered a few questions. Basic walk-in stuff. Then we got to the pre-screening questions, and I had an open court case for some dumb s*** I did while in college. So I had to wait until my court date, which was in August of 2009. Went to court and my case was place on the Stet Docket. Now since my case was on the Stet, I had to wait a year from my court date before I would even be eligible to enlist. So for that year I was DQ'd. After my case came off the Stet in August of 2010. My recruiter and I had to start working on my packet for a Moral Waiver. I am blessed that my waiver was accepted and on September 2, 2010, I was finally able to sign my first contract and take my oath.

So long story short it took me about a year and four months just to get the opportunity to DEP into the Marine Corps. And I will still have to wait until April 4, 2011 to ship. So that is about 2 years I have had to wait since I decided to join, to get my opportunity to earn the EGA.

Again you just have to be patient, and remember why YOU chose to join the USMC. One thing that motivates me is thinking of everyone that truly wishes they can join the USMC. However, they can't. Due to be DQ'd due to medical reasons or whatever the case may be. Also for everyone that told me I was dumb, that I was ruining my future, because I have almost 2 years of college credits. That I should join the Air Force, or any other reason people make up for not to join the Marine Corps. All that motivates me as well.

I apologize for writing so much, but in the end of the day. YOU decided to enlist in the United States Marine Corps. So YOU have to remember why you decided to, because there is not always going to be someone there to push you every second. You must have the dedication and determination to be the best that you can possibly be. So don't give up, keep pushing. If I can wait almost 2 years from when I decided I know you can wait. Just always remember what made you want to enlist

Rough Hands
10-09-10, 03:22 PM
It's easy to quit, but if you quit now, you'll always quit in life.

I had a situation that kept me from joining too. Just over a year and a half ago, I weighed almost 200 pounds when I finally decided I wanted to join the Corps. I had to drop to 152 before a recruiter would even work with me - my max weight for my height is 150, and I dropped to 147 in the weekend before I went to MEPS.

I would have joined right after high school if I had dropped the weight a few years sooner, but I let it be an obstacle for me for nearly half my life instead of actively doing something about it. Now, I couldn't be happier with the improvements I've made.

All that time I spent losing weight, I had to work on improving my running, crunches and my hang. The first time I took an IST, I passed on the run and the flexed-arm hang, but I bombed my crunches for nearly two months. And even though I had a passing time for the run, my recruiters weren't happy; they wanted me to meet the male standards, and I couldn't expect any less from myself. I took over a minute off my run time, added nearly 30 crunches, and 20+ seconds to my flexed arm hang in the period of about a month and a half.

You get what you put into it. If you want something bad enough, you'll do what you have to in order to get it. That's all it comes down to. Good luck.

ScarSniper
10-09-10, 03:22 PM
Hey guys,
I'm not quote unquote a poole just yet but I have qualified and I'm just waiting around on a tattoo waiver so I can DEP in. I was really into joining the Corps when I first went into MEPs and all the poole functions but now that I'm waiting on this waiver I am starting to lose the motivation I once had. Any advice or suggestions? Thank you.

Don't lose motivation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sam4lq2WHos

There you go. I'm not the original poster of this link on this website, but I figure this should give you a boost of Adrenaline.

younger223
10-09-10, 03:30 PM
I have gotten the same way when I work out alone. Day after day and week after week, sometimes working alone can get really old. Try to get someone to work out with you?

Kevin691
10-09-10, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys, i understand what you mean i gotta be patient and keep pushing but i know we've lol been there before, where we just wanna drop everything and say to hell with it. All i can do i guess is wait and keep going with the flow.

wilsontc11
10-09-10, 06:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoQzaqatUzY

ScarSniper
10-10-10, 11:36 AM
Alright, let me give you an example. I'm a poolee. I've only been a poolee for about 2 months now, but I've been trying to get into the Marine Corps for almost two years. There was extensive...

Steve018
10-10-10, 03:40 PM

You'll make it dude, it seems long now but dont give up hope. I've never had an expeirience with waivers but twice I had something medical almost set me back. A wrist that has a pin in it and almost needed a waiver for and a recent surgery that pushed my ship date back. Just look at it like this, the longer you have to wait, the more time you have to prepare. Make the best of it, get motivated and come to recruit training on top of your game.

tblake87
10-10-10, 04:49 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what is the holdup on the tattoo waiver? I have two tattoos and the Master Sergeant did my inspection and approval of the tattoos right on the spot at MEPS right before I swore into DEP.

Kevin691
10-10-10, 09:44 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what is the holdup on the tattoo waiver? I have two tattoos and the Master Sergeant did my inspection and approval of the tattoos right on the spot at MEPS right before I swore into DEP.

Well it's on my right forearm and it isn't covered up completely by my hand but it's not by a lot, just the tiniest portion of it shows when my hand is over it.

Kiri
10-12-10, 10:37 AM
I'd check up on that tattoo waiver to make sure it's actually happening. I had a guy at MEPS with me who got his in 5 hours from the liason's calling up some guys. Don't entrust your life to others. Get MOTIVATED and make sure crap is happening!