PDA

View Full Version : Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps returns to Miramar

thedrifter
09-28-03, 06:30 AM
Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps returns to Miramar
Submitted by: MCAS Miramar
Story Identification Number: 2003926105317
Story by Sgt. Joshua Stueve

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif.(Sept. 22, 2003) -- The 15th Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, John L. Estrada, returned "home" to Miramar on Monday to pay a visit to his Marines.

"It's good to be home," said Estrada, who spoke to a packed house in the station theater. "Miramar will always be home to me, and I want you to know that I'm very proud to be known as coming from this air station."

More than 1,500 Marines crowded into the theater to listen to the sergeant major talk about topics ranging from Operation Iraqi Freedom and promotions to the state of the Marine Corps as a whole. He spoke to the "future leaders of the Corps" for about 45 minutes and ended the session by giving Marines the opportunity to ask him questions or voice their concerns.

Estrada opened his speech by thanking all of the Marines for their efforts in OIF. "No one else could have done what the Marine Corps did in OIF," said Estrada. "We were very successful because of all of you. I also want to thank all your families for the hardships they have endured and for the support given during the last 10 months."

The sergeant major then focused his attention on three subjects: safety, professional military education, and leadership.

"Our safety record is horrible," said Estrada. "Marines are not known for bringing up the rear in anything, but we are behind every other service when it comes to safety. When I have to do the political thing in Washington D.C., I love to speak about the Marines in combat, or how successful we are in training our recruits. But I get embarrassed every time I have to speak about our safety record and I want that to change."

Estrada also mentioned that he is doing all he can to try and make resident PME a requirement for all sergeants and above.

"I think it is very important for all of our leaders to attend the resident leadership courses such as Sergeants course, the Career Course, and the Advanced Course. The contact that you have with your peers at the resident courses is invaluable to the development of your individual leadership style," said Estrada. The sergeant major added that he also believes Marines should continue to pursue off duty education and continue to enroll in non resident PME.

When speaking on the topic of leadership in the Marine Corps, Estrada held nothing back when challenging his Staff non commissioned officers and NCO's to play a bigger role in their Marines' lives.

"Our leaders need to be more involved with the Marines in their command," said Estrada. "Get to know your Marines and their interests, take an active role in not only their professional life but in their personal lives as well. If your Marines can't talk to you about their problems, then you are not an effective leader."

The sergeant major also touched on how well retention is going in the Marine Corps.

"Believe it or not, retention is going good for us so far this year," said Estrada. "We've had to comprise boards to review re-enlistment packages in certain (military occupational specialties) because we are getting so many Marines who want to re enlist. These boards have been put in place because we want to keep the best of the best. If our numbers were down and we were hurting for Marines, then it would not be this way. But because retention is going so well, we can afford to have these boards in place to keep our most highly qualified Marines."

Estrada also spoke at length on the importance of sergeants and staff sergeants applying for special duties.

"We need our staff sergeants and sergeants to get out there on recruiting duty and drill instructor duty," said Estrada. "They are the ones who recruit young men and women to join the Marine Corps and they are also the ones who actually train them while in recruit training. We need our staff NCO's and NCO's to get out there on Marine Security Guard Duty, too. And don't forget we have a new B-billet as combat instructors at the Schools of Infantry. You do not have to be from an infantry related MOS to become a combat instructor and it offers all the perks that the other B-billets do."

When speaking of new gear the Marine Corps will be getting, Estrada mentioned a new rifle, pack, flak jacket and helmet. In addition to the new combat gear, Estrada also said the Marine Corps' MV-22 Osprey development program is once again in the testing stages and is performing very well.

In closing his speech Estrada stressed to his Marines that their efforts have not gone unnoticed. "The Marine Corps is running very well because of you," said Estrada. "I want you to know your commandant is proud of you and I am very proud of you."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003926105544/$file/SgtMajVisitsMiramar_small.jpg

Sergeant Major John L. Estrada, 15th Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, speaks to the Marine Corps Air Bases Western Area and 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing Noncommissioned Officers of the Quarter during lunch at the Gonzalez Dining Facility during his visit to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif., Sept. 22.
Photo by: Sgt. C. Nuntavong

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: