PDA

View Full Version : Now 100%, does my family get health care?

blkhrt
10-06-10, 01:32 PM
I was just recently awarded 100% compensation, and was wondering how I go about getting family health insurance. I have called the VA and the DAV and have gotten almost no where. I am just wanting to know who I need to contact to find this out. I live in Az and am just looking to get this taken care of. Not sure if anyone else has this style of health care, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

:iwo:

manilalaguna29
10-06-10, 01:57 PM
Yes under CHAMPVA, I believe you can apply for it at www.va.gov.

blkhrt
10-07-10, 09:51 AM
I guess the biggest thing is that I am 80% with 100% through idividual unemployabitily. So does this dampper my chances or can I still get some health benifits?

spotts
10-07-10, 10:28 AM
It shouldnt dampen them. If the DAV isnt helping go to the American legion or a county/ state VSO near you.

oldtop
10-07-10, 11:20 AM
Your dependents are elligable for CHAMP VA benefits IF your unemployability is considered Permanent and Total...check your rating decision, if it states that "Dependents Educational Benefits is granted effective (date) then your IU is permanent and total. There is a 800 number in the attachment that came with your rating decision that gives you where to call for the CHAMP VA paperwork to be mailed to you. Complete the form and return it to the VA, be sure that your SPOUSE signs the paperwork, not you.

JohnEaceHunt
10-09-10, 02:37 AM
Blkhrt, unless they have changed the regulations, you have to have the 100% rateing for 10 years before it becomes permanent, and total. PTSD ratings are for 3 times, once every 2 years, and you have to keep the 100% rating each time you have a C&P exam. If the percentage changes you have to start all over on the number of exams. Physical ratings are every year for 3 years, then it becomes permanent and total, after the 10 years. While you have a retirement from the Marine Corps, you and your Family are able to recieve Tri-Care. Semper Fi, and READY-APP.

spotts
10-09-10, 06:31 AM
The regs for PTSD have loosened up a bit. PM me and I can give you the regs and manual references for everything. You can be rated P&T at any time through a rating board if you have the evidence that your disability is barring you from working. The 10 year rule at 100% is true but it also helps your spouse and children once you pass away. It streamlines the pension and DIC process for them paperwor wise.

I work as a VSR in the Philadelphia Regional VA Office. It be more then happy to help anyone with questions or paperwork issues they may have.

blkhrt
10-09-10, 11:49 AM
I have called ChampVa and they informed me that I am not able to get health benifits due to the fact that I cam not 100% permeniant and total. Is there another avenue to try?

blkhrt
10-13-10, 10:56 AM
Any one else have any more info? Sorry just trying to figure all this out.

oldtop
10-13-10, 12:47 PM
OK, it would appear that your IU is not yet classified as "permanent and total", therefore your dependents were not granted entitlement to educational benefits. You need to continue your treatment at the VA hospital, continue to create a "paper trail" that shows that your condition is not getting any better. About 6 months after the initial award date, submit a request to have your IU made permanent and total. As long as your disability has not improved, it will usually be granted. At that point, your dependents become elligable for CHAMPVA benefits.

kaelobo
10-13-10, 02:06 PM
oldtop sir may i ask you a question, i also am 100% my p&t c&P just happen like you said 6mnts later,but before my c&p, iwent to inpatient program 7 weks for ptsd. iam still in out patient care with same theripest at mental health.along with c group onec a week, do you think this is enough to get p&t, i hope the va dont think iam pileing on and get ****ed, i hope you could give me some insite on all this please. before p&T c&P. my arm /legs/neck/back/these bumps started to rise above my skin,the va gave me a acid wash on arms .neck face back legs are to done later, the O word was mention, but i was like lets wait and see how things go, what should i be doing if this is cause from agent O, thanks top take care, s/f......................................usmc

oldtop
10-14-10, 08:47 AM
kaelobo...continue your therapy, talk to your therapist, and ask them to write you a letter stateing that "despite your compliance with all medications and treatment regimens, your condition has not improved"...that should be enough to have va certify your condition as p&t. Semper Fi Top

kaelobo
10-23-10, 05:31 PM
Thanks top, i just received a letter from va on my agent o claim . they call it skin problem, my question is what is the best way to fill this out , i had acid skin wash at the va , in nam we were in alot of melted jungle had to fan away the film on top of water in creeks to fill our canteens ,never had any problems till last year about my skin on arm /etc, its like my skin is really soft, a fellow marine has major health problems because of it. nobody wants to address it as a/o at the va. should i get a stressor from other marines who were there i was in northern i corp my whole tour almost,, will the va do any research into the va hosp records ,everything ever done is in the va hosp files,and my headaches are just forking almost black outs , i hope for some advice from some of you guys. iam 100% this claim is not going to increase anything. thanks for any insight.........................usmc

oldtop
10-25-10, 09:26 AM
To be honest, I don't recommend that you even persue a "skin problem" type of claim, unless it has been diagnosed as skin cancer. Skin problems, like ichy skin, rash, etc are required to become manefest within 2 years of the last day of exposure to be granted service connection. Never give the VA an excuse to open your claim and look for a way to reduce it, if you are already 100%, unless you develop a service related disease that could kill you. Once you are 100% permanent and total, VA will never look at your claim again unless you file for something new, or for an increase in an existing disability. If you are 100%, leave your claim alone...like you said, it's not going to increase anything anyway...

kaelobo
10-25-10, 10:06 AM
Thanks top .i have been having to prove to the va,for such along time i guess i was on a roll ,you are wright time to leave it alone, , good advice , time to put the horse in the barn, you have a good day...........................................usmc

advanced
10-25-10, 11:40 AM
I'm 100% also, p&t, and I still get skin problem flairups as well. Oldtop is correct, don't put in a claim - just go and get treated, they'll treat you. I go to dermatology every 6-8 months for monitoring of agent o. Just go and get treated.

kaelobo
10-25-10, 01:02 PM
You guys are right .i just left the DAV service rep cause i was a little worried about what TOP was saying, i went to dav ser /rep. he rep me 4 years,he said quit making fires.cause if they reopen claim it could decrese, although im my case he sure no harm in my case although it could, thanks ADVANCE my rep said get treatment for skin at va cause a/o skin is not va problem yet. and any other injury service related.to saty with the clam, he did say you have to wait 10 years of 100% temp, to become P&t, i trying to lean the ropes. the va tells you they want everything you got to support you claim than when you get 100 never told me they had enought stop pileling on but what i have is all fact . thanks again brothers ............usmc

advanced
10-25-10, 01:45 PM
I received permanent and total at the time I received my 100%. It's been over 11 years now anyway.

kaelobo
10-25-10, 06:28 PM
Is retirement pension from previous job considered taxable income.................usmc

spotts
10-25-10, 07:25 PM
A retirement pension is considered income for VA purposes if you are applying for a VA pension.

oldtop
10-26-10, 08:28 AM
Retirement income is taxable income, VA benefits are not.