PDA

View Full Version : Am i eligible for different state BAH?

New York
10-06-10, 10:59 AM
Good afternoon Marines and readers,

I got married not to long ago and i was wondering since my wife lives back home, attends school and lives at our old APT (I am at my current duty station) does this make me eligible for my states BAH?

At this time I'm receiving the BAH for where i am stationed, which is not enough. The reason for all this is, is the issue of the finical difficulties me and my wife are facing (car payments, insurance, school loans, rent and etc).

I was told by my PLT SGT i was eligible, but S1 seems confused and hasnt gotten back to me on the matter now for two weeks. No one else has a straight answer or really knows.

Any Marines here have/know any info on this matter?

Much appreciated...

S/F...

BR34
10-06-10, 11:10 AM
No, you aren't. You are paid based on where you are stationed, unless you got married and the Marine Corps gave you PCS orders that said your spouse had to stay back or some other weird scenario that would almost never happen.

You probably should have figured out your bills BEFORE getting married. When you were considering marriage were you thinking the BAH would be able to go towards those things? Did BAH sway your decision to get married, one way or the other?

Furthermore, why is a General asking a Plt Sgt for pay advice?

Sgt Leprechaun
10-07-10, 01:44 AM
LOL. Changed to "PFC" which is just a guess.

BR is correct. BAH is based on Duty station, where YOU are, not where your home of record is. (For active duty, this applies....reserves, your mileage may vary).

Thus, if you are in fact stationed at 8nI, your BAH will be for a PFC at DC...

Direct from THIS website:
http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html

"The Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is based on geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status."

Comes up with:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width="45%" align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap><CENTER>E-2 with DEPENDENTS:</CENTER></TD><TD noWrap><CENTER>E-2 without DEPENDENTS:</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER>$ 1794.00</CENTER></TD><TD><CENTER>$ 1356.00</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

So, if you are in fact drawing the 'lower' rate...then either your wife moves to DC WITH you so you get the higher rate..or you figure out how to live with what you get.

BR34
10-07-10, 06:18 AM
He should be getting the with dependents rate.

The without dependents rate would be for people who can't stay in the bricks to to lack of space, or single NCOs and above who want to move out in town.

Sgt Leprechaun
10-07-10, 05:39 PM
Yeah, that would make sense....but you just never know so went with 'worst case' scenario.