PDA

View Full Version : Marine General Thanks Sailors for Support

thedrifter
09-28-03, 06:26 AM
Marine General Thanks Sailors for Support
Story Number: NNS030926-17
Release Date: 9/26/2003 10:46:00 AM

By Journalist Seaman Sean Spratt, USS Saipan Public Affairs

USS SAIPAN (NNS) -- Commanding General, Second Marine Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) Brig. Gen. Richard F. Natonski presented an AK-47 to Capt. Chris Hase, commanding officer, USS Saipan (LHA 2), Sept. 25 aboard the ship.

“This is a weapon that was captured in An Nasiriyah (Iraq) during some of the heaviest battling of the whole war,” said Natonski.

The rifle was presented in appreciation to the officers and crew of Saipan for their support of the Marines during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Similar rifles were also presented to Commander Amphibious Group 2, USS Bataan (LHD 5) and USS Ashland (LSD 48).

“What stands out as a real testament of your support, was when I heard the Navy wanted to send all the amphibious ships home as soon as the war was over. But every captain in Amphibious Task Force East said ‘We’re not leaving. We’re staying and sailing back with our Marines,’” said Natonski.

The crew of Saipan made a real commitment to this statement. While Marines were ashore in Kuwait and Iraq, Saipan would not pull into a liberty port even though the opportunity was there, Natonski remarked. Saipan spent 148 days out to sea without a port visit of any kind in support of the Marines who were fighting ashore.

“During the war, Saipan was an invaluable platform for the Cobras (helicopters) that were flying close air support for the Marines,” said Natonski. “The Cobras flying off this ship made a difference in the ability to execute our fight against the enemy. One of the most important aspects of this war was the teamwork that developed between the Sailors and Marines. I saw things I have never seen before as the MEB Commander. Captains were letting Marines execute live fire exercises with their weapons, which allowed the extra training they needed before heading into the war.”

Natonski praised the great teamwork that developed between the two services during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/sep2003/index/ii092603r.jpg

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=9701

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: